1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Prempeh, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Is he a poor man's Glenn Rice or a rich man's Hubert Davis? I was hoping to see him create more after his freshman season but if last night was any indication there are major question marks...

Thomas Robinson on the other hand is looking mighty impressive...

2. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Harrison Barnes reminds me a lot of Chase Budinger too be hoenst. He is emotion less on the court

He has talent, but appears too damn soft

He also cant dribble too save his life

He will be a BUST, if he goes in the Top 5

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I thought he looked ok. But he was going against 2 of the best defensive players in the NCAA. The best player on that team was McAdoo. NC made a mistake not finding a way to keep him on the floor.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Luol Deng clone. Not bad or great.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, does UNC's performance over the last couple of games increase the draft stock of the absent Kendall Marshall?

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

You'd have to think yes, somewhat. I think the way he was playing before the injury really made people take notice as well. I think you're right though, he really seemed to make that team go, if that is what you were getting at.

Barnes has very little passion, a ton of talent and seemingly no killer instinct. Not a big fan.

7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I'd think so...that's all anybody has talked about all weekend - Barnes isn't nearly as effective without Marshall who is just an incredible set-up man. IMO that lowers Barnes' stock a bit and increases Marshall's. However, Marshall still isn't a top 5 pick, and I feel as though most teams currently projected for picks 5-14 in the lottery already have what they feel to be a 'franchise' point guard. Look for teams w/ 2 lottery picks (Portland & NOLA) to snatch him up with 1 of their later lottery picks. MIL might also take a flyer on him late in the lottery (hoping they make the playoffs though, for obvious reasons) if they really feel strongly about letting Jennings go.

This only benefits Houston who don't really need a point guard, as it increases the chances of a Tyler Zeller type dropping from the lottery to pick 15/16.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've doubted Harrison Barnes for quite some time. He should have a serviceable NBA career but he won't even be a lead-player. His terrible tournament (especially the Ohio game) should definitely lower his draft stock. The fact he can't create off the dribble very well is a major red flag.

IMO, the #1 trait in Barnes' favor is he has the "clutch gene". If you need a guy to drill a long jumper late in crunch time, he's your man.

Is there anyone here who follows the UNC program very closely that could comment on his work ethic and dedication to basketball? Is he one of those guys who is married to basketball and can't get out of the gym? His summer should be dedicated to improving his handles and learning to shoot pull-ups off the dribble.

9. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

yeah hes got no handles. He won't be able to create for himself in the NBA, he seems to me to be this years Derrick Williams.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I watched his last 2 games and I came away unimpressed. He is too highly rated on the draft boards.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Anthony Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist and Robinson seem to be beasts.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Solid 14-7 SF in the NBA. Less athletic, but more dependable than Marvin Williams.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Luol Deng was an all star this year. If he turns out to be Deng 2.0 then how can ya not like that?

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its amazing that this guy could have gone as the overall #1 pick last summer. He took a huge step back this season. I think he's a guy that could fall in the lotto, and be a bargain for someone drafting outside the top 8 though if he falls that far.

Alot of people still have him in the top 5 in mock drafts by reputation only but I have a feeling he's going to fall fast come draft combine. Too many other guys are climbing the ranks quick. Chase Budinger is a pretty accurate comparison. Maybe slightly more talented on offense, but not by much. On defense he will be very similar.

Still, he projects to be a serviceable, to pretty good NBA pro. He is too skilled offensively to not find some sort of niche in the NBA, even if its just as a shooter off the bench.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

His work ethic has never been questioned and is often praised by Roy Williams. He's just not a very good one-on-one player right now.. needs to work on his desire to dominate, first and foremost.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Wow, now some people are really underrating Barnes. Short memory I guess. He has a 6'11" wingspan as a SF, and a great jumper... that is a SOLID foundation to build on. He's only 19.

Not saying he's going to be a star but he looks like a good roleplayer at worst.

17. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I hope that Barnes falls to about 6 and the Rockets trade up for him. (or maybe that Knicks pick can fall to the #6 spot) Barnes will be an All-Star in this league and would be a great pick.

18. Remix

Remix Member

Marvin Williams part 2 only with less upside. Not a good thing

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That's telling. If he doesn't have the desire to dominate already, it's just not his nature.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

As a Carolina fan... fair point.