1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Help] Laptop infected with virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RMGEEGEE, Dec 20, 2011.

1. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Clutchfans,

While surfing Reddit & watching Rockets.com videos, my antivirus programs started acting funny and eventually shut down my internet.

Windows was begging me to purchase a license for their Windows7 security program, but it hardly looked legit.

& Best Buy wanted to charge me $250... no thanks.

At this point if I try to open anything (including system tools: system restore, disk cleanup, etc.), it asks "choose the program you want to use to open this file."

So basically, there isn't a whole lot I can do myself as far as retrieving a program online... or restoring to an earlier point.

Are you guys aware of any solutions?

Thanks! & Rep to those who can help.

2. uchlha

uchlha Member

backup and reformat sounds like a good choice

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is a virus, the one that forces you to buy their product, there is a way to delete it, just got to google the name and it will tell you.

DD

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Download Free Malwarebytes' and run scan on safe mode if possible.

1 person likes this.
  5. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Start in safe mode > Run rkill (program that kills malware) > Run Malware removal software

Some viruses can get really ingrained in your system so reformatting your hard drive sometimes is next option if you can't get rid of it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

^^Noob.

Try a system restore if you have any.

7. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

In safe mode.

8. halfling131

halfling131 Member

1 person likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Start your computer in Safe mode. Run your virus scanner full system scan.

You will be amazed at how most problems are cured by this simple process.

Make sure you're in safe mode with no internet connection. unplug it from the back to be safe.

1 person likes this.
  10. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

My suggestion would be go into safe mode and try system restore, or any malware remove tool that won't work under regular windows. I've had problems where nothing would run under regular mode but the anti virus software would run under safe mode and after a few reboots and clean ups it removed the virus(malware).

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just helped a friend remove this using the method above. Malwarebytes was the removal tool. You have to use rkill to remove the malware processes from memory first. The problem with system restore is that you may not know when you were infected.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Man, the latest security center virus won't even let you run apps in safe mode. You actually had to create a registry script to execute to modify your registry to then allow you to be able to launch apps. Then, I was able to run my browser, Malware Bytes, Seek & Destroy, etc. . Such a pain in the ass. It got past all my virus detection running in the background. I couldn't find the running process to kill, either. All these different names it could be running as...and not one was found that stood out as the bad process.

Whomever came up with that Security Center virus...I would have no problem popping a cap in their head.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I forgot to add the above. You may have to run a registry fix/update to even run IE or malwarebytes. We actually uninstalled malwarebytes and installed the latest one for malwarebytes to even catch it.

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Get rid of Windows and install Ubuntu.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The interwebs are a dangerous place man. Sink or swim.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

FIFY.

17. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Run in safe mode with network, open internet explorer, go to internet options, go to connections, Lan settings, click automatically detect settings. Now your internet should work, download malwarebytes and run scan. Sry if that does not help.

1 person likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Download malwarebytes and run it while in safe mode or some other user with admin rights on the machine.

1 person likes this.
  19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not trying to be cute, but at first opportunity get rid of your computer and get a Mac, I should have done it years ago. Peace of mind is sweet, no hassles. Costs more, but you will love it. I have two of them. I have three years of phone support and they are very helpful.

20. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I believe the infections have been removed, but I am going to system restore in order to hopefully correct the program 'locations'.

Everything is still asking me which program to open it with.

Thanks!