1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Fires Back At Misconceptions - In case you missed it...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AnnaMegan, Apr 20, 2011.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This one is easy.

The Rockets had Yaos injury exception money. It was either use it or lose it. It was basically a bonus that had to be used or it was lost. Did we need Ariza? No. But at the time we were in "Get Chris Bosh" mode. We also knew Toronto was interested in Ariza, ie Ariza had value.

(the original source was lost, but here was some discussion)

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=920412&start=0

We made our bid later:

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-a...-bosh-to-houston-for-ariza-battier-and-scola-

As soon as Bosh went to Miami, they looked to move him elsewhere. Ariza was never a long term solution here. He was merely a free asset to be used elsewhere later.

There was nothing wrong with the Ariza signing, it was a smart move.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Where does this "Adelman needs to be coaching a contending team" come from? Adelman never said anything about that. In fact, he said he wanted to come back to coach this team if the FO was on the same page with him. And who said Adelman only wants veterans? The only thing definitively known is that he wants more stability (not standing pat), and I wonder how they can find a coach who doesn't want that.

I think that's exactly why the "assets" thing got blown out. He is essentially saying, "We are not afraid to make deals because even if we make a mistake, we can always ship the horse for something sweeter." No matter how much lip service he does on "players aren't assets, they are people" that doesn't go well if you are a player.

For the record, I have no problem with Morey's overall strategy of acquiring "assets." That's his job and it should be understood by everybody. And he has been doing quite a phenomenal job. But talks like that is quite damaging to the morale and doesn't make Houston an attractive destination for players.

Like JuanValdez pointed out, if I were Hayes, why would I want to stick around when I knew that I might get shipped out for some better assets.

1 person likes this.
  3. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Amen to that.

As a busines owner, I understand the necessity of professionally evolving to remain competitive. I just wish the Rox weren't so painfully obvious about the honesty of it.

I believe in his philosophy of not settling till there is someone to settle for no matter the pain of going through it. As much as any of us would like to place blame, we can't be a championship caliber team with what we have.

To add, I'm a fan of Chuck as well but, at this point, there really isn't anyone worth labeling untouchable. I honestly see the value in just about all our players but nobody being enough to build around.

Why would we keep any of our players if he were the cost of getting someone better? I'm sorry to say that we just don't have the player/s to build around. As much as any of us cheer on our players, it's just not there for a championship caliber team.

We're now currently in place to shake things up and i, for one, am looking forward towards the shaping of the future Rox. We have the flexibility now moreso than any time in the recent past. It all falls towards the FO to make things happen. I do hope it's sooner than later.

No Homer here either. FO's up to to bat for producing a better team. No excuses left.

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What's the point of getting all these chips . . . when you never cash them in?

Question: I think at this point we have to as the question . . . . What is Morey's leash? How long does he have to build a championship team before we 'lose faith'?

Rocket River

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

as long as les can stand for.:grin:

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Morey has been TRYING to cash in those chips for the past year now. Unfortunately, the cashier's window either keeps closing or makes Morey stand at the end of another line.

The fact is, the Rockets were in on the Deron Williams Sweepstakes right before the trade deadline but lost out (and rightfully so) to New Jersey, who offered up an INSANE package to Utah that Morey simply could not match.

Morey's going to keep trying. While I understand (and he has admitted repeatedly in interviews) that being a GM is a "results-oriented business," he's really doing about as well as can possibly be expected.

8. passdarock

passdarock Member

^^^^Yup

9. AnnaMegan

AnnaMegan Member

It is my pleasure. I may not agree with everything Morey has done and said, but I do appreciate his blunt and unwavering responses to criticism of his decisions and moves.

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Good point. I'd only add what I said earlier- the emergence of PP has made Chuck more expendable. Maybe re-signing Chuck is not as big of a priority to this team as many of us would like to believe?

You'd have to think if this was Scola or PP or KMart, they'd have been extended in advance, or at least serious attempts would have already been made. But for a guy like Chuck, I think you have to go into the free agent market and see what else is out there before extending your own offer. If there's a comparable player for similar or less money, why not go for him? Maybe you begin free agency by going after guys like Jason Collins, or Troy Murphy, or Chris Wilcox, or someone else. Who knows. I guess my point is that we all know Hayes is a fan favorite, but we cant let our 'homerism' obscure reality and prevent us from making the right moves this offseason, even if the right decision isnt the decision we want it to be.

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

Anna Megan, Anna Megan. somehow, this name is very familiar to me. are you the one who did video clips with Jonathan for Chron? If not, who is that person? anyone has a clue?

12. acjeitherocket

thx for posting that link

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Faith is already being lost by some(most?).

Yes, she is the same person from the Chron.

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

thanks.

normally i don't pay attention on who wrote on this board. i did watch all of those clips. any clue why they stopped.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Unfortunately, I am unsure.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I understand. I am not ready to run him out on a rail just yet
    however
    some would say . . . the statement: he's really doing about as well as can possibly be expected.
    applies to RAdelman and JVG . . .and it did not save their jobs

Rocket River

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

you misunderstand why they went to different direction. morey said again and again rox didn't extend his contract due to the different view on how rox should move on not due to his poor coaching.

18. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Can people please stop using the word "assets" as if it means something lol? It's like all the talk about mediocrity's windmill, hilarious.

19. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

We won't win a championship w/o Chuck. **** Morey.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

And those people would be right.

The key difference is that Morey is working on building up a franchise. His goals are more long-term than the coach's.

Both Adelman and JVG were very good coaches. No one is debating that.

The reason that Adelman is no longer the Rockets' coach is not because of Adelman's performance. It is because Adelman's own (more short-term) goals for the franchise were different from those of the owner and the GM.