1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Fires Back At Misconceptions - In case you missed it...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AnnaMegan, Apr 20, 2011.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Guys... listen again... the conversation was referring to Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks being lost to free agency NEXT SEASON. He later then stated that they are going to try and bring Chuck Hayes back.

Aaron, in the organization's eyes is due starting PG salary next season. They cannot, and should not be paying two PG's starting salary for playing only 25 minutes a game. This is very understandeable.

As for Shane, he is a glue guy on a contending team for sure, but he fits as a "complement" player. Meaning, Shane was the player they brought in to complement Yao Ming. Nick Collison is perfect in OKC because he complements Kevin Durant.

Thats what the analogy was about. He was not preparing the city for the post Chuck Hayes years.

2. Houkom

Houkom Member

The problem is he needs to have players and fans believe in it too... because he can't do it alone.

I feel a lot of respect for the organization will be lost If Hayes does not come back next season.

If you ask for loyalty from players and fans, at least show that you value that too and act accordingly.

Some values are more important than a championship: do it the right way, work your best, support your teammates and I'll be your lifetime fan. Doing that can actually do a lot for a championship too...

I believe this team had the heart for a championship, but clearly had no superstar, or go to guy. It might be harder to find with a middle of the pack team, but it isn't impossible, and that is a FO job.

It is on Morey to demonstrate that his strategy gives us the best odds. I am very far from convinced.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You are confusing things, I hate the no extensions policy, I think that if you like a player and think he can be a contributor, you sign him to a decent extension, the quote you referenced was me saying it only takes one other team to screw up the policy by THEM overpaying.

Thus forcing the Rockets to match. If the Rockets would have given a decent offer on an extension like San Antonio does to it's player, I believe they feel more secure and perform better, it doesn't mean they won't be traded, but it does make them feel wanted, IMO.

DD

4. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

It's impossible to overpay for Hayes because the market rate will reflect how underrated he is.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Chuck's an unrestricted free agent who -- as valuable as he is, is looking at something less than MLE money. If I were Chuck Hayes, I'd watch for where Adelman ends up, and probably follow him there. Adelman will be coaching a playoff team and he knows he can use Chuck's skills and attitude. Money being equal, would you rather sign for a rebuilding team like the Rockets with no star, but lots of uncertainty and a new coach, or a stable playoff team with a coach you like and likes you and whom you know is one of the best in the business?

Even if he doesn't follow Adelman, I think Hayes is going to leave for greener pastures. If Adelman had stayed, I'd be more confident we'd retain him. Not now.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You could be right, but the guy expressed nothing but a 100% desire to return to Houston in his last interviews before the offseason. And that was not knowing whether Adelman would be back or not.

I think we'll equal whatever the highest offer is out there for him, assuming it's not more than MLE money.

7. htownswami

htownswami Contributing Member

I would be happy if Chuck got a chance to go to a contending team at this point..

8. brosef

brosef Member

aint this moneyball stuff great!

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Even the Lakers?

10. Nook

Nook Member

You are right DD.... using your logic NO contract is over-paying, because it is the going rate... someone is willing to pay it.

As far as free agents are concerned, they go to: #1 whom ever will pay the most #2 winning teams #3 their home team...

Unless the Rockets morph into the Clippers, I think they will be fine in the eyes of free agents.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Who picked up the check?

12. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

Amen to that!

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

It depends. If there's a team out there that feels Chuck is the 'missing piece' to their puzzle, then maybe they're willing to pay Chuck 1-2 million more than any other team in the NBA. And in that case, would you match? I'm not so sure I would. It's not a popular decision to let him go and I'm sure DM would be criticized, but it's probably the right decision.

This team has had one of the highest NBA team payrolls for a number of years, and at this point its not worth spending at that rate considering the teams record and need to rebuild.

14. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

That's the sale pitches he's making. Fortunately, most of us are not that stupid. Actions speaks louder than words.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The point I am trying to make is that by doing an extension BEFORE the season, you avoid this situation entirely.

You don't have to worry about overpaying someone because you came to an agreement on their value before they even hit free agency.

That is what I am saying, and apparently not able to convey.

DD

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I love the policy. We avoided giving AB decent money that way. Grizzlies don't have this policy and they overpaid for Conley. The policy also worked great in the Landry situation.

Also, please don't compare the TD, Manu, and Parker extension to our situations. Stars get extensions (Gasol, Kobe, etc).

We've been through this a million times. Lowry excelled in a contract year. That's what most players do. See Zach Randolph this year.

And we look cheap to free agents around the league? The last time I checked, we've only had our MLE to spend for what seems like forever so it's a moot point.

#36 sammy, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah I cought that too. Truth be told I actually wouldn't mind if they didn't resign chuck. Next year is about development, and chuck would just get in the way of our current and incoming young players.

We should also find a way to get Brad Miller out of here, even if we have to force him to retire.

18. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I understand your point, and I'm not saying your wrong, just saying that there are probably reasons why DM decided not to. One reason I can think of is PP- he might have drafted him to be an upgrade to Chuck, and with his mid/late season emergence, its probably rendered Chuck a little more expendable than he otherwise would be.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This.

Stars will get extensions and role players will get market value. Morey has been smart enough with being able to find cheap effective and even better replacements for role players:

Landry gone? here's Patterson

Ariza gone (defense at least)? here's Lee

AB gone? here's Dragic

Battier gone? here's ?

point is that Morey has saved money and will be willing to overpay for a star.

Smart move.

1 person likes this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Thats why we keep Chuck and trade Scola. :)