1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Jets

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 16, 2010.

1. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

mine as well go 4-12 now..

get a good draft pick and kubiak will get fired... sigh

at least basketball has started... although thats been just as disappointing.

(cue charlie brown good grief music)

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Im as big of a Jets fan as anyone...but Ill tell you this...Revis is NOT the same Revis he was last year ....maybe its that hammy that hasnt healed 100% r maybe its complacency after the huge contract he signed. Whatever it is, he has been a lot more hot and cold this year as opposed to the scorching hot he was last year. he does seem to get up for a challenge (i.e. the game vs Calvin Johnson) so I would imagine that gong up against the top dog in the league will bring out the best...but who knows (the Jets have occasionally alteernated he and Cromartie on the #1 WR to give Revis a break here and there)

The jets secondary as a whole has been a lot more hot and cold this season...teams have been able to throw the ball and drive down the field easier than they have in the past. Brady did it, Henne did it, Favre did it and at the end of the game last week, even Colt did it (in fact he was doing it up until the fumble that probably would have resulted in a Browns win last week). Granted they won all 4 of those games...

The Jets have not gotten to the passer as effectively as they did last year...and if Schaub gets an extra second or 2, the Texans can get into a shootout. The jets are 2-2 at home this year...nothing earth shattering. They have a shaky FG kicker who is coming off a 2 miss (one was a tad more than an extra point in length) game that almost cost them a W.

While I think the Jets win the game, I think it could be more of a battle than most of you think.

3. HorryUpandBuy

HorryUpandBuy Member

Im headed to the game this week, in Texans gear, and still a fan. BUT having to defend against stupid NY fan talking about the "volleyloss" or how they kicked our ass last season. Hope we show some fight.

1 person likes this.
  4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think you are in for a long day, man. Rex Ryan has owned us the last two times, and that was before our defense turned into cotton balls and swiss cheese.

There's a small chance that the offense will keep it close, but I'll be stunned if we are able to actually finish it with a win.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We have a runninggame now, though.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

They have a stout run D.

Rex Ryan will know how to shut Arian down, and if he doesn't Kubiak will probably help him out by keeping him under 15 carries.

Matt has done well in cold weather on the road for some reason, small sample size I know, but it is the only thing I have to cling to.

Texans should get buttraped, but even if we do, I won't be surprised if Matt has a decent, if not voluminous day. (300 yards, multiple TDs and INTs)

I'm sticking with the "Texans score 7 or less points in the first half and rally in the 4th but fail again" routine.

7. msn

msn Member

can't blame our D for that. :mad:

8. HorryUpandBuy

HorryUpandBuy Member

The offense went a full 60 mins (2nd half of Chargers and 1st half of Jags) with scoring a total of 6 points. The D had no chance to improve on 29ppg given up with that formula of them staying on the field 20mins of each of those halves.

Offense needs to run consistent - not going to score every drive, but make something out of some drives, give yourselves a chance.

9. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

12. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Jets 45
    Texans 10

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

14. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Who would've thought, Brian champin was right all the long

#54 GlenRice, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

he'll be back tomm for practice. doesn't sound too serious..

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Heard an interesting take by Jerome Bettis on why the Pats have success against the Steelers (i.e. a 3-4 defense), and I think we should adopt this mindset going into the Jets game.

Bettis said that what the Pats do against the Steelers is to go to a spread-type offense (4-5 WR sets) which means that the 3-4 pass rushers (i.e. the OLBs) are having to either guard a WR or TE in the slot or come off the field for more DBs. What this does is leave the DE in the 3-4 to rush the QB - something they are ill-equipped to do. Their main purpose in life is to tie up blockers so that the 3-4 LBs can attack the ball carriers (ILBs) or get to the QB (OLBs).

I think this could work against the Jets (and then Ravens) if we scheme it right. We did something similar against the Packers a few years ago. It opens up the field and makes Schaub's reads easier to where he can attack the one-on-one matchups.

I could think of worse things (like our interior OL getting whooped up front by the Jets DL) than lining up Dre/Walter/Daniels/Dresseen/Casey/Anderson/Foster and forcing the Jets to cover all of them.

Thoughts?

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately our timing passing game sucks this year.

Unless Matt can find a way to unleash the O_O again, we look about as boned as a fat tourist in Jurassic Park.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

You are our new coach. When can you start? And I am serious.

1 person likes this.
  19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd disagree. Like Ric said earlier, when Schaub has had to go into "beast mode" (Skins, Chiefs, Chargers, and Jags) he's been very, very good in the quick-paced, hurry up offense.

Our defense is already 60 minutes of hell, our offense should switch into hyper-drive and see what it can do against the 3-4 defenses that have previously been the kryptonite to the Kubiak and his West Coast offense.

You're too kind, my friend. Unfortunately, I've hung up my Madden controller for some time now, but I'd love the chance to spend some time with Kubiak and company and guilt them into trying something different. We deserve better :)

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Did you hear what he said? "Heard an interesting take by Jerome Bettis"... so... that means it wasn't him making this stuff up. :eek:

Hire Bettis? :confused: