1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Carmelo open to multiyear deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coogie3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. dartherus

dartherus Member

So what, just because AB is on Rocket's roster, we only can praise him (he has good things, speed, dribbling, ballhandling, shooting I;ve recognized it myself....only added thack lack of courtvision is something extremedly important for a PG of a contending team) and reject the truth (the same way that AB has good things, he severely lacks Basketball IQ)?

What law is that one that it's an obligation only to say positive things of the players? I wasn't aware of it....

2. Raven

Raven Member

I've never seen that feature before.

:eek:

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

DD, Agreed!
    Listen up every one!! Billups is only a much much older version of Brooks!
    Keep Brooks & Martin at all costs. Morey do not trash our team to get Jello!! :p

4. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

Brooks speed and shootin alone is something the Rockets will need with a team that has Yao, Melo, and Martin.. That would make it very hard to double any of those guys, and vice/versa.. Brooks was the focal point of our team last year.. and lead the league in 3 pointers made. Image him as the 4th option with more open looks, and u have a deadly threat!! His court vision is above average.. if he can get the ball to Yao, Run the fast break, Make open shots, and improve his defense we would be in pretty good shape..

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is merely a kerfluffle that popped up when some of us wondered... if acquiring Anthony were to mean including AB, and taking on Billups' short contract as the price for the deal (to save Denver a lot of cap space this season... they probably don't want to move the guy, anyway), should we do it? It isn't about including Billups because we want to shake up our rotation at the 1. It's all about what it would take to snag Melo. As this entire thread is purely speculation, with an underpinning of comments from some solid sources about Anthony's interest in Houston, there was an honest discussion about the pros and cons. Where things got off-track had its basis in a certain senior member with a rather high post count (and no, not my evil twin!) chosing to make it strictly Brooks versus Billups. Naturally, that spurred a convo/border skirmish over their relative merits, leading to accusations, recriminations, and so on and so on, ad infinitum.

Much ado about nothing. I hope a deal for Anthony goes through. If we have to take on Billups, I'd be willing to do it, as he's still a heck of a player, with skills (despite his age), as well as size that we don't have at the point, if it gets us a superstar small forward, a very clear upgrade, who would not only make us a team in the mix for contender status, with a healthy Yao, but just might help lure other top free agents in the future. My preference? Do the potential deal while keeping AB and Martin, with a price more along the lines of young talent (Budinger, Hill or Patterson?), expirings (Battier, Jeffries, and the young guys with non-guaranteed contracts?), and picks (one or more of New York's, also our own, if protected for a long time?), sans Billups. That would be an amazing deal if it was the price of a top five talent, either way. That's if Les would pay the piper with the luxury tax. We might also be asked to take on a "bad contract," possibly using our TE, although we might not have to it (thanks, Bima!).

Does that help any, or did I muddle things up more? I'll add that if Shane were in the deal, I'd demand that they buy him out so we could get him back, with Les forking over $3 million as a sweetener, and see if they'd bite.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks
    Seems like a whole lot of hatred just all of a sudden went his way

Rocket River

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Deck is partially right.

It is actually a run on from the Lowry should start over Brooks committee, who make things up about his BBall IQ, or lack of court vision, never giving him credit for all those half court alley oops to Bud, or the wrap around pass on the baseline, or the nifty PnR passes to Scola, some around the opponents back.

Also, it is a continuation of an innane thought that somehow AB can not pass it to Yao, even though he gave some great bounce passes to him in the 20 or so games they played together.

Is he an elite level PG, no.....but as a guy who has started only one year, at the toughest position in the league to learn he has been great.

And, he is the only one on the entire team that can create his own shot as well as create for others....if you get rid of Brooks, you have to replace his late game shot making ability.

If you get Melo, that helps, but he doesn't dribble it up that much.......this team needs Brooks, with Melo and without.

Anyway, I hope the Rockets keep Brooks because he is way better than a lot of folks give him credit for being.

DD

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Brooks is a keeper to me. Trade Kevin Martin if one or the other has to go. Denver would probably want Martin anyway. He'd balance their roster more than Brooks.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Being able to recognzie what our current players aren't good at, or aren't as good as someone else at, is not hatred for a player. Brooks can score. but he is undersized, can't defend, struggles to run the offense and doesn't seem like the ideal player to give the ball to in the clutch. It's not hating to admit another player (i.e. Billups) is currently better at all of those things than Brooks.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

either way if brooks go, morey signed ishmail for our 3rd pg, who seemed like he had good court vision and could be a decent backup.

if martin goes, we just got courtney lee, who is capable of starting, and him getting pushed to starting, could have an opportunity for taylor.

This offseason has been crazy but fun with bosh and now melo...lol

11. tested911

tested911 Member

What about the impending free agency Brooks is going to test... How much would you be willing to sign him for?

9,10,11,12,13 mil per year? With Lowry already signed for a good chunk of change for being a backup..

12. DaDakota

You sign Brooks for whatever the market bears, then you trade Lowry.

DD

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Question:

So this three year extension....does it eliminate the player option for next year? IE if he signs it, is he locked up for 3 total years, 4 total years (this year + the following extended 3), or 5 total years (this year, the player option year and 3 extended years)

Anyone know?

14. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

I'm pretty sure it would be for the latter-5 total years.

If we get Melo, it would be an 'extent and trade' deal.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

17. DaDakota

I have a lot to say......and that feature is for everyone if they want to use it.

DD

18. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

I hate this thread because whenever I glance at it I think it says 'Sources: Carmelo agrees to multiyear deal with Rockets'

19. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Anthony, is he worth it?

Hey, Clutchfans.

With the new CBA coming next season, is it risky having lengthy contracts that pay large amounts of money? With the new CBA it is expected that max contracts will be smaller and pay less, therefor you would expect the salary cap to be lowered. Teams like Miami paying three players 14+ million(rising in the years ahead) might be in deep water next year and for many years to come.

Lets just assume for a second max contracts are brought down to 10 million starting price. Is Carmelo Anthony now worth that extension and trade? Off the top of my head he's making 17 million this year. With an extension he could be easily making 20 plus million a year for the next few years. That could be 2 max free agents.

Even though Anthony is a great player. It would be smarter to leave him alone for time being. It's the type of mistake Kahn would make.

I think Morey will wait on this one, he'll find value another way.

20. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

We work with what we know. We know about the current CBA. We know nothing about the next one because it doesn't exist right now. Your assumptions might be right, but they may be way off too. Maybe there is no more max contract. Maybe players will get paid based on performance and years served. Maybe they do away with luxery tax or salary caps all-together. We just don't know.

So when a player of Carmello's calliber comes along, you find a way to make a play to get him. Which brings me to a second point. We don't even know what the trade will look like. Again, all we're doing is fan speculation. We speculated for months about what we might get for Tracy McGrady and how'd that work out for speculators? DM might be able to negotiate a very low 'price' for Anthony, we just don't know.

And finally, if you're taking this from the "high cost of money" or that "he isn't worth the contract" angle, then that's pointless too. We're fans. We pay for ticket prices and merchandise. Les is the owner. He pays for salaries. If he is willing to pay a player a certain amount of money, then that is his choice.

And comparing a decision to trade for Carmello to a David Kahn decision is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the closest that David Kahn has come to trading for a top 10 player since he was hired by the Wolves is Etan Thomas.

When an opportunity to gain a top 10 player comes along, it's actually wise to make an offer. Judging a trade before it even happens is pointless. And judging it based on a CBA that doesn't even exist yet is unfair.