1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Y! Sports' Marc Spears on Knicks, James, Wade] These guys aren't coming, man

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 3, 2010.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Joe Johnson was with Phoenix when Phoenix got Nash, and he had a great year. ATL offered him the Max, and Phoenix had said they would match, but JJ asked them not to, and they ended up doing a sign and trade. Winning wasn't important back then, so I'm not sure it would be now, but he may love ATL.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If you're a single black man, of course you love Hotlanta. He didnt re-sign just to see whats going on. He's going to re-sign because he has a good young team and he's a notch below the top guys anyway.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's awesome. I only speak 3 languages and English isn't my mother tongue either, but I understand it. I was insulting your lack of comprehension because you incorrectly insulted my reading abilities when I didn't insult you in the first place. I didn't mean to offend you in my first post, only in the following replies.

Back to the topic though...

While Gay Boozer might not deserve max money, there are many teams with cap space and the market hopefully will favor the players this off-season. There's Chicago, Miami, LA Clippers, Sacramento, Minnesota, Washington, New Jersey all with cap space for a max contract. Some of those teams can even fit 2 max contracts. Now if you think Boozer and Gay aren't max players, then you open up even more available teams that can offer $10 million to $12 million like Oklahoma City, Portland, and Phoenix. So in regards to offering the most money, the Knicks are far from unique...and their team sucks. For any top FA to sign with the Knicks it's going to be because they want to play for the Knicks (D'Antoni, the love of the city, whatever), and not because the Knicks are the only team with lots of money to offer.

4. worzel gummidge

Max contracts are scaled by number of years in the NBA. IMO, Gay will get the max or close to it.

5. wfox

wfox Member

Are you kidding me? This would be the greatest thing to ever happen to the Rockets. Jazz look at their shiny new stud, and then take a look at grumpy 'ol Derron. Morey enters flashing 2 more unprotected Knick Picks, like the ones that got them Wall, with Aaron brooks and Battier. Morey Leaves with Williams, Williams gets a nice new contract extension and finally gets to play in a city that isn't completely racist, and the rockets get a few Championships.

Epic Win.

6. lalala902102001

Even if NY does not get LBJ/Wade/Bosh, they'll sign somebody. Amare, Boozer, Joe Johnson, you name it. Bottom line is that they will be a much better team next year with two (borderline?) all-star caliber players.

7. worzel gummidge

Hawks also frontloaded the payment of his contract. He got paid $20 million in his first year.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They did this specifically so the Suns wouldn't match. The amazing thing is the Suns still talked the stupid Hawks into a sign-and-trade and got valuable assets in return. It was the Hawks at their dysfunctional best. And it's been mentioned here a bunch of times that pathetic Robert Sarver could have signed JJ the year before at 5yrs/$50MM but dug in his heels at 5yrs/$45MM. I still believe this cost the Suns at least one championship. JJ was their 2nd best clutch player and he kept the offense running smoothly when Nash was on the bench.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are getting 2 lottery picks.

The Knicks will not get anyone of value.

Rudy Gay blows anyway... Wilson Chandler and Gallo are better players at the same position...

10. Nook

Nook Member

They will not be able to get the line up you listed with their current cap situation unless they get Gay and Boozer at well below the maximum.

Essentially they may get Lee and one other max free agent or 2 max free agents and no David Lee.

Also, they will not have the MLE so they will not be able to get a veteran center and point guard unless through trade.

I suspect they end up with at the minimum one of the following: Lee, Boozer or Gay.

Also, why would Johnson go to NY when the Bulls are a better team and have targeted him.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Your logic is sound, but my money is one or both of those guys getting the max or very close to it. There are a lot of teams out there that have cleared cap room and even traded cap room in anticipation of this free agency. These teams will spend the money because their fans expect it and because they have expended too much to come away empty handed.

Guys like Johnson, Boozer, Lee, Gay, Amare and others are not worth the max... but they will get it.

12. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

if walsh gives a max contract to anyone else not named lebron, wade or bosh, he'd be like isaiah 2.0.

im sure he'dbe a little more frugal. id give amare and joe johnson close to the max. boozer? nope. he just got off an injury. gay? nope. he cant carry a team.

im sure walsh would make something happen

13. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

popular sentiment at least in ny is, he'll get either bosh or johnson, then wait till next year to use the next max on a cp3, carmelo

14. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Thats perfect for us! They will suck again for an entire year, be in the lottery and we'll just exchange our pick with them!!

yatzee