1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Testing issues could derail Mayweather-Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheGreat, Dec 22, 2009.

1. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

right, i'm just a boxign fan. and all you so-called experts have consistently bet againsts the Pacman. duh!

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I've actually never bet against Manny in my entire life. I picked him to beat Morales in their first fight and Terible is one of my all time favorite fighters. Manny has always treated me well. You are really reaching here

3. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

I've been following news of this fight from several sources and as far as I know from the very beginning news from Manny's camp they always stated that the fight will be at 147 lbs which is the welter limit. They have never asked for a catch weight.

Ring size? 20x20 It's a Vegas fight, I've read somewhere that all fights in Vegas are standard 20x20. Again from what I hear it's the Mayweather camp that's pushing for 25x25, what does that say?

So if anyone is asking for "wiggle room" on weight it's actually the Mayweather camp. Does that mean he mean's to come in heavier? He has done that before. Of course now the fine is a "little" bigger.

I've already stated my reasons why I think Manny won't do a blood test before the fight and he has agreed to take it after the fight.

I do agree this is just some posturing for both fighters, this fight is too big for it not to happen.

Mayweather is trying his hardest to get Pacman to back out so he can say he's afraid of him. It just so happens Pac has been calling Mayweather bluff. We'll see what happens next as the drame continues...

4. King1

I mispoke on "catch weight". I meant the fight at 147.

It should be 20x20. Floyd was going for 22 which was shot down immediately.

He was not trying ot come in heavier at all. Floyd makes 147 easy. He came it at 146 for the JMM fight if I recall. 10 million dollars per pound is completely undeard of. Conceding that is huge. That and the gloves were the main things Manny's camp wanted and they got them.

I saw your reasons and while I can see your perspective, I think he should take the test. Even if it was not fair for him to be put in the position, a great deal of the publics perception will be changed in some manner if he refuses.

Floyd wants this fight bad. He doesn't want Manny to back out. Floyd needs that payday more then Manny and Floyd honestly believes that this is an easy fight for him. Floyd pased and Margarito and Paul Williams because he didn't like their styles.

The drama is getting old. This should be signed by now. They have date, venue and money agreed to.

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

hmmmn.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's not a catchweight fight. Its at 147. Please tell me why it has to be at 154 and with 10oz gloves as $$$ requested? Both of their last fights were at welterweight. If its a title fight, then it would be for the welterweight title that Manny holds. And Manny isn't refusing the test.

7. King1

Another poster already pointed that out. I mispoke. I never said the fight had to be at 154 with 10 ounce gloves. My point is Floyd is the one making the concessions. Manny gets the gloves, his preferred weight, his weight penalty, his ring size (although it should be 20x20 and Floyd was going for 22 which I think is stupid),ect...Name one thing Manny has conceded to Floyd. There isn't one. Conceding to the testing doesn't seem like something he should have a problem with.

8. King1

Do you need a hug?

9. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

I don't know, I think this is where I'm going to have to disagree. It just seems to me that Floyd has been putting things in to make it so Manny would back out starting with the fight date.

Don't get me wrong, although I am defending Pacman, I actually don't think he will have an easy time at all with Floyd, in fact I don't even know who would win between them, I just want to see them fight!

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. You guys should really do some research before you try to talk about steroids and how they work. It's pretty eay, you know with the interweb and all

11. King1

Agree to disagree.

I definitely want to see this fight , and if I had to bet on it either way, I woud definitely put my money on it happening. I don't care who you are, it's nearly impossible to walk away from tht type of money. Not to mention if Floyd beats Manny, he finally gets his legacy fight that he wants so badly. If Manny wins, he is in the argument of the top 5 best fighters in the history of boxing.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It isn't that simple.

Once anabolic steroids are no longer in your system you begin to lose the benefits. Sure, you won't lose all the muscle you gained overnight but you will begin to lose the advantage of the extra blood cells as well as the stimulation of the central nervous system. Furthermore, you can still test positive for the metabolites of certain anabolic steroids for months after you come off of them.

You can't just "cycle off" and solve your problems.

And actually, many people do "just take steroids year round." They work best when you don't have to come off of them.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The reason they added the crazy 10 million per pound stipulation is because Floyd has no intentions of making weight. Similar to the JMM fight. Floyd and his demands are mind games to F with Manny.

As for Needle Gate, his excuse was weak. The real reason they shouldn't take the test is because its a insult to the Champ. If I'm Manny I'd feel disrespected. Seriously, the guy unexpectedly dominates his foes and the only explanation is that he's been using steroids? That is the only "evidence" for them to request the olympic style testing? Wow. He's Barry Bonds now. No idea how they missed his name on the Balco list. C'mon man. This is nothing like baseball because the State of Nevada is not demanding non-standard testing. It's Team Money and their out the ring strategy.

I hope you're right and it does happen. Boxing needs this.

1 person likes this.
  14. King1

15. Zion

Zion Member

LOL! at people trying to defend Manny.

Weather you're a fan of the Pac Man or you hate his guts there is no denying this is a b**** move on his part.

If you've got nothing to hide take the damn test. Plain and simple.

16. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Wow. I thought clutchfans was smarter than this. Guess I need to re-evaluate.

Guess what Floyd weighed when he was 16?

Guess what Pacquiao weighed when he was 16? (Hint: exact same as Pacquiao)

Guess who confirmed this? (Hint: starts with 'F', ends with 'loyd, Jr.')

Guess how high in weight Floyd has gone? (Hint: higher than Pacquiao, and SOONER)

Guess who started all these rumors? Floyd, Sr. after being made to look foolish after all the smack he talked leading up to the Hatton fight.

And finally, guess what evidence Floyd, Sr. had to back his claim? That Pacquiao has passed every.single.drug.test given to him. *laugh* Soooo....passing a test makes you guilty now, oooooooooookaaaaayyyyy I see how it works now.

Basically, Pacquiao is kickin' ass. For whatever reason, people can't just admit it, so they have to make baseless accusations to keep them from being proven wrong. I expect that from convicted felon drug dealer Floyd Mayweather, Sr. But from longtime clutchfans? That was unexpected.

Who knew clutchfans was full of Floyd fanboys? Yeah yeah I know I know, I've learned evidence is meaningless in dealing with that segment of the population, so I realize I'm just wasting keystrokes, but I'm bored, just passing through.

*waves*

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

While what you've written sounds plausible, they're not asking Manny to give up a kidney. It's just a blood test. How in the world is that going to drastically effect his training other than probably having him go home early for a day? Manny has destroyed all of his opponents up to this point so the argument could be said: If a blood test is all it takes to get this fight green lighted again, why shy away from it? This fight, if Manny believes that he can beat Mayweather, can basically canonize Pacquiao into sports (not just boxing) legend status.

18. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Manny's team isn't objecting to random blood tests. They are just saying that the possibility of a random blood test should end a week or so before the fight. What can he do in a week that Mayweather should fear? Team Pacquiao has some secret super chemical that they can give him less than a week before the fight? Please. That's just plain paranoia.

19. lastmanstanding

pacquiao's team doesnt want a blood test less than 30 days before the fight.

20. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Arum says 30 days, Roach has said a week but no less than 3 days. They'd have to sort it out and negotiate the final terms with Schaefer/Haymon/Ellerbe.

Regardless, this was a shrewd move by Mayweather's team. They've succeeded in putting the public into a feeding frenzy over unfounded accusations based on zero evidence.

My point was that I was surprised that clutchfans would be convinced by said unfounded accusations and zero evidence.

Note to self: Adjust expectations - check.