1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey Yao Ming! You are pissing me off!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by adagio75, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

You are just a frog sitting on the bottom of a deep dry well. How can I explain to you that the sky is much bigger than what you see from where you are sitting?

2. The_King15

The_King15 Member

dude wouldnt u rather win a gold medal for ur country or win a championship for ur state....

3. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Not just China, it's really any other country other than the US. Soccer is the world's #1 sport and the national teams play on the biggest stage of the world cup every 4 years so all their athletes grew up dreaming to get on the world stage. Whereas most American players just go after the money. More practical, sure, but no matter how much money one gets, it's on a much lower intellectual level.

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I would agree with your post had you omitted the last sentence. However that destroyed the whole post and sounded just as ignorant as the OP. Pride much like love makes you do stupid things. I love my country but can I be sure my country loves me back. Yao will always have a place in CHina's heart but I am sure their are many Chinese athletes who have sacrificed more and are forgotten and left penniless. Tell me if I am wrong. Does that make them more intellectual. It seems it would have been smarter too look for the money first. Honorable may have been a better word.

5. errpac

errpac Member

so should he go to another team if they offer more? Because thats not Yao, and believe me the owner of Rockets is banking off of Yaos pressence on his team. He's actually feeding himself.
    PPl need to realize that if they were put in the situation to represent your country, you probably get the same feeling that yao, lebron, kobe, etc are talking about. You are representing more people and something you believe in, your country. And I expect Yao will still continue his work habbit which is more then probably 95% harder then most NBA players and his work ethic is ridiculuous according to JVG his coach whom I expect would know. Be more appreciative that Yao is helping your team and obviously trying. Remember how sad he was when he was hurt, and was felt bad for the team. Believe me hes much more wanted at other places like the Lakers who would love to earn have yao being there where he will get more exposure because there is a bigger chinese fan based. Be more appreciative that he's probably going to retire a Rocket by his own choice, unlike Shaq who bailed out on Orlando.

6. mig0s

mig0s Member

You are wrong. Here you go. In China, the government gives every olympic medal contender a relatively high amount of money (you may live a high class life for 25 years) and a piece of land. For gold medal contenders, a big house is given. Of course you can't feed an athlete for life because he earned a medal. It's up to their own responsabilities and abilities to earn money to feed their families after retirement. Like Li Ning, he started his own compagny and is now one of the richest people in China.

However, Old Man Rock, you didn't lose my respect for trying to protect your country. I would have said the same thing for where I live, Canada.

7. errpac

errpac Member

A lot of people need to realize that yes Rockets are paying his salary but hes feeding himself and hes worth the money paid. Hes the one that generates the fans who are paying for the jersey, shoe , tickets, etc. He will make money on another team if Rockets didn't want to pay him. Itsn't America all about personal accomplishment. Its ridiculous that you think just because Rockets pay him he needs to give his life to them. Whats wrong with Yao having his own personal priorities. Yao is working and making his own money, the American way. The Rockets do help him and let him feel comfortable about his situation and role and he loves it because it his and Mcgradys team.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I love the Rockets more than the Olympic team too, and would gladly trade a championship for gold, but you have to understand the position the players are in. Even they I bet would prefer to win an NBA championship over an Olympic gold, just bc it's harder.

But they HAVE to say that the Olympics are more important. They're on pedestals, they need to be diplomatic. Kobe said it.

When Coach K got off his plane in Durham, reporters asked him what he thought was his greatest accomplishment: the three natl. titles at Duke or the gold medal. He said the gold medal was bigger too.

Regardless of what is the truth, these people have to say that the Olympics are the biggest. It shows respect to their country and respect to other countries.

9. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

If you think Morey and les are happy that there prized asset who is very, very, very, very injury prone is playing at the olympics, you're delusional. they got no choice.

10. cheyuanying

cheyuanying Member

Agreed.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

In asking this question you are showinmg your ignorance!
    No National Championship compares to winning an Olympic Gold Medal.
    The Olympics are considered even above winning a World Championship! :p

12. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

Federer never owned Nadal ever.

13. kona-

kona- Member

Whats so bad about thinking the Olympics are more important then a NBA finals? He obviously loves to compete for his country and wants to show his country that he still owes them for all his success.

14. YounGunnCam9395

Olympics come around only once or twice in a career for most athletes while u get a shot at an nba championship every year. Olympics are on a world stage while nba championships are more of a national competition. Why does everyone get upset that Becky Hammon chooses to play for Russia instead of the US and then these are the same people that think Yao should put the NBA before his homeland. Bunch of self centered hippocrites.

15. tracymingreedy

tracymingreedy Contributing Member

post of the year :D

16. A00man

A00man Member

Next time, read before you post.

17. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

flame this ***.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

OK? Did you even read my post? I said the Yao only fans would flame him, I didn't say they were going to be the only fans who do. I think you are idiotic. Did you even read any of the subsequent posts? Please, from now on, don't waste my time with trivial insults.

19. langal

langal Contributing Member

A China gold would be equivalent to the 1980 US hockey team.

I don't think any of the guys on that team (Neal Broten for the Devils i think?) would trade it in for a Stanley Cup.

Americans just have a jaded view (and rightfully so) of the Olympic Bball gold. Only lately has it started to mean something again. It was hard to take something too seriously when you didn't have to work too hard for it.

20. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Let me post this quesiton;

If TMac was heathly and was asked to represent his country.

First would he do it? I think in a New York miniute!!!

Second, if TMAC was on team USA, would you support him? I think so.

So is it so bad to show a little love for your Rockets. if Battier was heathly and playing for Team USA, I would cheer for him too.

And before you get into but Yao's not healthly. Well that is the very essense of the question. Yao would scarifice himself to play for his country.

If asked, would you do it for yours? I think anyone on this BBS would gladly go as part of the US Olympic team, if he/or she was good enough. You are representing your country. And if it was held in Houston?

While Shanghai is his home town, Beijing is China's capital and represents China. As he has said before, it's the highest honor for him to represent his country. He is also the icon, the face of the olympics for China. He carried the flag twice; in 2004 and 2008. He has the burden of 1.3 billion chinese on his shoulder and he was man enough to try, to rehab and to do his best.

Now it's time for him to recover fully and give the Rockets a chance for greatness. I want them to take a even longer winner streak than last year and then blast into the playoff and crush everyone. Now that would be sweet. No team has ever gone 4, 4, 4, 4 in the playoff so it's time to make history.

Sure it's pie in the sky but dream big!