1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox Sports "Ming and Battier overrated"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rldewar, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Just think, imagine on Team USA instead of Kidd or Redd
    having Tracy McGrady playing out there with that bunch....
    For all his 1st round failures and people that dog him, TELL me that team wouldnt improve. I'll save that for another thread...

To offer alternatives, like a couple have done already, overrated would be
    1) Gilbert Arenas: HIS team hasn't needed him as much as his max contract would indicate, in the crappy East
    2) Marcus Camby
    3) Greg Oden - well if Yao's injury troubles keeps him from getting respect, Oden playing NO games should be counted against him :D
    4) ......Ron-Ron :confused:

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Dwight Howard's final averages in 82 games (100% played) were 20.7 points, 14.2 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks a game. He led the league in rebounding by over a full rebound per game and he's the youngest player ever to lead the league in rebounding.

Dwight Howard is nearly six years younger than Yao Ming and he's never missed a single game in the NBA.

Delusional?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

what counts is one on one YAO still denies D Howard

4. NADman

NADman Member

Yup. Yao OWNS Dwight Howard one-on-one ALL THE TIME!

5. Albert Einstain

no one rather than the no-brainers will consider battier and yao overrated .I think the threader may intend to post that " Ming and Battier are underratted while TMAC overrated " :D

6. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

^^I was wondering how long it will take for dumb yao-only fans like einstien to make this thread into a mcgrady overrated nonsense. you need to be banned troll. :rolleyes:

7. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

All the thing you said was nice. But Yao is the better player right now

8. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

What is more disgusting is that some t-mac only fan turn this into T-mac is most underrated player in the nba.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

if i saw this person on the street i would run them over.

seriously what a rockets hater.

10. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Who did that?. the only idiot here is turning the attention on tracy just to defelect the attention of yao. are you blind?

11. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

Easy there, ronnymac. I am not blind.

12. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

What exactly is wrong with that. at the start of the year when he was fully healthy, he was dropping 30 on la 47 on utah 41 on memphis. the first 6 games he avge 30 - 7 - 6. those are elite numbers by anyonmes standards. when he injured he's knee, he's numbers dropped off. he still avge 28-6-6 in the playoffs. including avge pof 35 in the last two games of the utah series. how can we forget the 40 points 10 boards and 5 assists on 13-26 shooting.

The point is anyone who thinks both tracy and yao are overrated needs to learn a few thing or two about basketball. also i dont see how by praising tracy he dissed yao or he said anything about yao being overrated. if anyone praises tracy these days, yao fans take it as a diss on yao. :rolleyes:

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I don't know about putting Battier at #1, but both Yao and Battier are definitely among the most overrated players in the game. That's not meant as an indictment of them as they are both great players.

You can't ask for anything more out of a role player than what Shane Battier gives you every night. He never makes mistakes and is possibly the best team defender in basketball (after Kevin Garnett). But his status as one of the game's best individual defenders has been way overblown. His effort against Bryant this year in win #22 was among the best individual defensive performances I've ever seen (given the stakes and against the game's best player), but it really stands alone. Before this year, Shane regularly got lit up by Kobe (to the tune of some 50 point games) and never shut down any of the game's top wings.

As far as Yao, much of the unfair criticism that he gets is because he has been so overrated by the media. It's very unfair to him because he is what he is - a legit All-Star big man with some severe physical limitations that prevent him from being the Shaq/Hakeem that the national media expects of him. The fact that he is even as good as he is is a testament to his own hard work and determination. He's the "game's best center" (by default), and thus people expect him to dominate accordingly, but a player that slow and immobile simply can't do those things. Yao can be a vital cog in a championship team (as we are attempting), but he is not a guy that can put you on his back and carry you. He is much more likely to give you 10 pts and 5 rebounds in a crucial game than 40 and 20 like we sometimes saw from Hakeem - that's just the way it is. He's criticized as being soft and timid, but it's more about the fact that he is very awkward and has slow reaction time, so he appears like that. It's unfortunate for him because after he so greatly exceeded everyone's expectations his rookie year (most people thought he would suck), he set the bar too high on his own expectations, and he physically can't meet that.

Artest has been overrated by some media types. I'm not sure how much of his baggage plays into overhyping his impact on the court.

McGrady is very underrated. Most of the national media just doesn't understand how great a passer this guy is, or how important he is to this offense even he isn't scoring. Hopefully he will be this year's Paul Peirce.

Scola is also very underrated but that has more to do with being a rookie.

14. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

I remember when Isiah Thomas said Larry Bird was overrated, something like
    " if he was black he would be rated as an average player". While there was some truth to the statement, athleticly Larry was average, it just showed how dumb some folks are when rating players.
    But until Yao, Tracy and even Shane get out of the first round they will be targets for stupid articles such as this.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do these count?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AiNWFWv6AYBvnAbGdfw8lGWkvLYF?gid=2007011010

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AnmO6pOnm0jpvgNtB_BLK9SkvLYF?gid=2006121210

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AgyNZmGxG4JJ_8HWaQq9_DSkvLYF?gid=2007030207

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=ApOLjhF1zUqJamwYK78EBPmkvLYF?gid=2006120210

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AkcVTXgtTR2FOCxlAABkLEOkvLYF?gid=2006111214

16. Albert Einstain

i really believe that guy has something againest the houston rockets,so he made such damn comments deliberately.i asume he is a fan of mavs who are our main rival in our devison.i personally think dirk is more overrated than shane and yao.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

QFMFT. This is a great post.

I like you're explanations because people often look at how good they think the players are when looking at overrated/underrated. Yea Shane and Yao are good players but the public perception of what they SHOULD do is much higher than what they CAN do. Tmac may not be the Kobe Bryant people want him to be but he's not the garbage people act like he is and his playmaking is still the heart of this team's offense (ironically).

18. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Yeah the League MVP and a top 4 pf is overrated. :rolleyes:

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I can't believe this thing is getting so much discussion. First, don't click on the link and give the writer so many page views (pssst...his ploy is working!), here's the list:

5. Wade
    4. Horry
    3. Yao
    2. Matrix
    1. Battier

It's Fox Sports, relative to Fox News. And home of our favorite writer, Charlie Rosen. This article has ignore written all over it.

20. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

What?