1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mac Book

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by StaticC4, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

the OP wants to buy a macbook, if you dont have any input, dont post in this thread

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

nice point, Royals. OP, try to find someone who can get you the educational discount, and then a basic Macbook will not be too much different $ than the all-powerful PC.

And Pizza, gee, you seem kind of threatened and angry.

I'm with the chorus saying more power to PC users. Just don't do the trick for me, and I have to use them (at work) all the time.

3. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

When you buy Mac, you are also paying for the service and piece of mind that when something goes wrong or something you don't understand, you can always walk into ANY Apple Store in the country and answer your problems. You can set up an appointment at any Genius bar or go to the many Apple workshops to maximize your Mac experience. That is something that PCs can't do. You can't walk up to a Dell shop at any mall now can you?

4. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Damn, the OP asks for recommendations and on a new MacBook and the thread turns into a pissing contest between Mac and PC users. There's barely a veil (at best) of civility in many of the posts in here. Maybe we should invite some Solaris, AIX, Linux, or hell let's get some mainframe users to the party as well.

Isn't the whole purpose of having multiple operating systems on the market a way to cater to the personal preference of the consumer? By reading the tone of the posts in this thread, you'd think there were some huge socio-political issue being discussed here. Maybe it's time Mac/PC discussions by moved to the D&D (along with PS3/Xbox360/Wii) :p

5. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

flamewars. trolls. these are words used to describe a situation different than ours Rokkit.

I didn't come into this thread thinking, "how can I avoid a 'flame war' here?" I came into this thread thinking, "WTF do people buy these things?"

All I have done in this thread is present my perspective and awaited answers to honest questions. Im not trolling or starting a flamewar or doing any other (insert sa/slashdot/fark.com buzz words). You seem obsessed with characterizing it as such.

And lets not pretend like I have committed some huge internet fauxpas by asking a question that doesn't answer the OPs question but pertains to the subject at hand - macs. Would you rather me have immediately started a new thread... "WTF is the deal with Macs?. I mean its not like he started a thread about Macs and I started talking about the celebrities on "So You Think You Can Dance?"

Whose making a big deal out of this? The fact that I have to defend myself on these silly issues.. and you are so sensitive about fanboyism... who is the real fanboy here?

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Ah, of course, the old 'NUH UH You're a fanboy!' shot. :rolleyes: I've made my experiences with this issue well known.

And whether you want to admit it or not, Drew, calling the people you are 'trying to understand' idiots who are only trying to be 'hip' is purely insulting.

That's what starts this usual crap in these sorts of threads. Until you understand that point, you won't understand what I'm talking about.

Like I said, I never pointed to anyone in particular and just went about trying to answer the OP. YOU wanted this discussion, for whatever reason, not me.

7. DrewP

dude, its the internet. If you find something this petty to be offensive then I shutter to even wonder what else gets you upset.

And I never called anyone stupid that wasn't. I told you about my TRUE LIFE OBSERVATIONS. I'm not sure how much more real world its gets than that.

I never characterized everyone that used Macs as stupid. I even took the time to explain that not everyone that used Macs are idiots.

If you weren't so sensitive then these flamewars you talk about wouldn't happen.

8. Coach AI

No, I just understand that if I go throwing **** around, someone will probably complain that it stinks.

It's not that hard. Like you said; it's the Internet. You should understand this by now.

If you don't want to have the discussion, only to go crying that someone is being too 'sensitive' when they do, then why start it? Simple.

EDIT: I should add, Drew, that I've had no problem with you here, you seem like a cool guy to me by previous posts. Which is part of the reason I didn't bother singling anything out when I tried to help the OP. But like all BBS stuff, I'm still going to make my points when involved.

9. DrewP

Man I don't need even know what we are talking about anymore. I feel like any time I get into a BBS discussion like this it is all futile... people ignore everything you say, pick out one point and dissect it however they see fit, throwing logic out the window.

And I dont have any beef with you. People that get upset over stuff like this don't get it. I realize that if someone that didnt know me in real life based my personality off my clutchfans posts, I would be seen as very abrasive. Its because I just dont have time usually to post like this. I only post when I feel very strongly about something or have a fact to dispute. It is rare that I get the opportunity to just shoot the ****.

In summation, I have no beef with rokkit, I now have a vague understanding of why some people use macs, and I say more power to you if thats what you're into.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my macbook pro runs just as fast as when I bought it over two years ago, and as Rocket Rich points out, customer care has been nothing but top-notch. I have been sent replacement parts on vacation and the parts arrived in two days.

laptop PC's have ALWAYS crashed on me within a year or two, and you don't have to download software if you want to edit movies or make music.

plus the videoconferencing is built in and ready to go.

I don't care about statistics or comparing prices. the macbook pro outshines most laptop pcs and is a powerful machine...

and that is the reason why people buy it.

its worth it.

11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I'm a PC user, but I think MacBooks are pretty slick. I think as a notebook Macs are superior to PCs any day of the week. If I were getting a desktop, I'd probably go PC though. I think the price difference on a PC notebook to a Macbook isn't huge enough to discourage from getting a Mac, but you can build a superior desktop for way way less than you could get a Mac.

As far as the notebooks go, I'd stay away from the Air. Since it's come out my neighbor (a Mac fanboy) has tried to purchase it 3 different times but each time it had a problem and had to be returned. He's since given up on the gimmick and just purchased a much more powerful and cheaper regular Macbook.

12. Coach AI

No problem man. Like I said I've had no problem with your posting (abrasive or whatever). No big deal.

For what its worth, I've been using these things for less than a year. I'd never owned an apple product in my life before that. I've only been PC. So I can see both sides and I've learned there are real advantages there. I also couldn't care less if people think I'm 'hip' or not. :D

13. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

in order to avoid the last two pages of debate (which i'm usually happy to jump in on), i'd say you're fine with a stadard macbook. like a couple others have pointed out, unless you plan on doing some heavy photo/video editing, a macbook pro will probably just be overkill and extra $$ out of your pocket that you can spend on other, more useful audio products for your band.

my advice would be to ignore the stereotypes and find a machine that provides you with the best user experience while working within your budget. good luck and let us know how it goes!

14. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

what did you do..watch p*rn on shady websites everyday??

i like the black macbook but it costs $200 more because it contains a bigger harddrive?? 80gigs doesnt seem to equal 200 bucks...

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I thought I'd chime in long after the thread had digressed. Don't take me to seriously tho, I don't even take myself that seriously. The thing that really grinds my gears tho is when people pass off what they believe to be fact. Oh well, I know, I know, Mac users will forever be Mac users and PC users will forever be PC users. The issue that I have, is that people dog a very very good OS (Vista) because they'd rather be ignorant. I mean, can you throw down a TV tuner card into a mac (good luck there), setup a VPN and stream TV over the internet to your laptop? AppleTV can't do that. Vista can. Oh well. I guess all the little cool things will just be my little secret.

Above all, the thing that angers me is people who chose to be ignorant for whatever reason, Mac, PC, Republican, Democrat, Cat lover, Dog lover... the list goes on.

With that said, whatever you get, will probably do the job.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I didn't even need to open my Mac to install the EyeTV USB device. I can watch over the air channels (including HD) or I can hook up the cable.

17. tulexan

tulexan Member

I finally made the switch to a MacBook after being a PC guy my whole life. I love it and can't believe I didn't get one earlier. Everything is so simple on a Mac and it's hard to beat the price of the base MacBook for what you are getting.

My only complaint is that it isn't the most business friendly computer and when I try to work from home things take much longer on Excel because they don't have as many short cuts.

Couldn't be any happier about making the switch though.

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I assume you've Googled Excel keyboard shortcuts for the Mac?

19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i own four macs and the iPhone. so not only do i not know ****, i am also one hip mother ****er.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Funny thing. I've got the same problem..but with a PC. I've recently been using a Dell VOSTRO at work (I hate it..it crashes at least 3-4 times a day when I'm trying to edit with Quantel Cut & I haven't downloaded anything except Itunes, Firefox and VLC Media player). But I have a very hard time trying to find keyboard shortcuts..like how to close a window, or make a new folder..ect. OSX and Vista both have a keyboard commands for most functions, its just that we're not used to the systems yet. I edited with Final Cut Pro for years and I never had very many problems, but with the Quantel (a much, much higer end edit system) I seem to have problem after problem.