1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox Sports] Rosen's take on Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rumcoke, Sep 3, 2007.

1. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

This is just an excerpt from the article. To read the entire thing, click on the link below.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7181778

----------------------

Most of the early scoring for Argentina was done by Luis Scola. He's a rough-and-tough customer who spins, fakes, ducks under and mostly looks for a right-handed jump hook. When he was allowed to play one-on-one, Scola gave Dwight Howard some trouble. But when double-teamers held their ground, Scola either forced shots or was compelled to make harmless passes back out to the perimeter. What he lacked in explosiveness he made up for in sheer determination. (At best, he'll be an energetic-but-marginal NBA player who'll have great difficulty on defense.)

----------------------

Personally, I think that Scola will be much more than a 'marginal' NBA player. All-Star player he is not, but he is, in my opinion, a starting caliber PF. I don't think he'll have 'great difficulty' on defense either; he may not in Duncan's or Ben Wallace's league in terms of defense, but he's certainly no Stojakavic.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

At best, Rosen will be a marginal NBA columnist who'll have great difficulty backing up any of his desperate attempts at writing polarizing pieces by his own track record as a player or coach.

3. scola

scola Member

Whats a marginal NBA player? any examples?

He will be a very good role player, like Nocioni.

4. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

Samaki Walker, Mark Madsen, guys like that.

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

a marginal player? does he even watch the same games?

he said he gave dwight howard some problems on offense when matched up 1-on-1 and then called this dude a marginal player? isn't howard a 3rd-team all-nba last yr?

that contradiction should show he does not know crap about the NBA and just writes whatever floats his boat, which is crap.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

There's a good chance that Scola will be more than a 'marginal' player. He seems to have a lot of the right tools to signify good potential.

But man, I think some of you guys are ready to call him an All-Star. :D I just don't think it reasonable to think Scola's ascension to NBA ranks is a done deal like some of you do.

7. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

If Scola turns out like Nocioni or even Ginobili in the way of contribution we're one super lucky and great team.If he turns out like Pau Gason we're champions ;) Hell in the worse way he will be good bench player so this player is one baller that I have full respect for him :D

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i don't think nocioni is a "marginal" player. in fact, he's a very good player. he hustles; he plays D; he can knock down the open shot; he rebounds...

scola will most likely do the same things but a lil better b/c he seems a more "skilled" player.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'm happy considering that rosen wrote this. He must be Vecsey's replacement

10. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

He's being contracting. How can he give Dwight Howard trouble and be marginal at the same time?

11. scola

scola Member

Gasol, Ginobili... no way, those are better than him.

He should have the kind of impact Nocioni had with the Bulls.

12. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

This'll leave even more room for Scola to prove himself. Go show those critics wrong, Scola!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This means that Scola will be an all star....Rosen is never right.

DD

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

if i was orlando or dwight howard, i would be pissed. rosen basically said that howard sucks, because scola did well on him 1 on 1, but he's still "marginal."

15. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Yep, since Scola gave Dwight Howard trouble 1-1, and Scola is marginal, by association, Dwight, 3rd team NBA last year, is pathetic, and everyone else not on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team NBA is basically high school ball worthy at best.

:D :D This guy is so funny!!

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Two things:

1. I'd be really interested in hearing Rosen's definition of 'marginal' or seeing a list of players he considers marginal.

2. Even if Scola is a marginal NBA player, he was still a steal for the Rockets. And a steal from San Antonio no less! :D

17. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Chances are that someone is going to be right! :D

Either Scola is going to be marginal or an all-star!

But, what are journalist but to be cynical and fans to be hopeful of an all-star.

At least nobody is saying he's going to be a bust; well no one other than the Spurs fans. :p

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Plenty of marginal NBA players can give Dwight Howard problem on offense. For example, Wang Zhizhi.

How much Scola contributes will depend on whether his D is good enough to allow him to stay on the floor.

19. zong

zong Member

Rosen's who? The guy was never right, Scola will be all-star player soon, he is a missing part of Rox in order to get another level.

20. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

scola just didn't give howard AND amare some trouble, he actually OWNED them when he matched up 1-on-1 w/ them. they had to double him eventually.