1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Steve Francis traded to New York

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JusBleezy, Feb 22, 2006.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i swear isiah probably knows that he'll never have a job in the nba again after his stay in NY so he probably is going for broke and having a lot of fun playing the trade game

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You know, marbury sometimes did outscore steve and try to goad him into scoring showdowns- but IIRC the Rox usually ended up winning the game no matter where he played. The "i'm the real allstar" game was touted as one of the rare shows of maturity for Francis at the time as he refused to get drawn in and the Rox beat Phx.

I do remember the day after Marbury was traded to NY the Rockets walked into MSG one February and absolutely throttled the Knicks in a big game - I think Moochie (playing for the Knicks) ended up with a better statline that night than Stephon in his "homecoming"

3. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Thank you God. This means no Francis in Denver. Sadly, this means K-Mart will probably stay in Denver though. Such bittersweet emotions.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this has got to be only a start.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yep. Crawford is almost certainly on his way out.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

how in the hell does isiah still have a job????

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i remember that game, steve completely schooled marbury.

my question is:
    is steve/marbury better than steve/cuttino?
    would it be better than cassell/cuttino?

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Good question... I guess it depends, if Francis and Marbury can find any kind of chemistry they would be much better than Francis and Cuttino, if not it's going to look ugly. Cassell and Cuttino have the same kind of chemisry Francis and Cuttino had, so the same could be said with those two sets of guards, I'm still wondering what number Francis will wear. 3 is taken by Marbury, 23 is taken by Richardson.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

well if it is going to be a power struggle with Marbury - i would take number 1 to set a tone.....

10. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Thats true, but it's all about how they maintain that focus into something longterm and worthwhile. They'll work hard together at first, to prove everyone wrong just long enough for them to revert back to jacking up shots.

Stuart

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, he took Sprewell's old #8 jersey.

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Steve will wear #5 like his lover ;)

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

14. 12stonestool

12stonestool Member

i like him in a ny uni better than an orlando but then again I dont care about
    anyone but the Rockets or whats on national tv in june so dont plan on
    seeing him play. TMAC YEAH

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

So who is wearing number 3? or does Francis go back to his number 23 from College Days?

Other than that i just don't see how they are going to co exist. They might show some good games at the begining but in the long run it's going to wear down and truley show how bad a move this was.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I agree the throwing away of expiring contracts is very foolish.

As an aside, if Francis is so worthless as many say, why were Larry Brown and supposedly Phil Jackson and George Karl all trying to get him?

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I like the deal for the Knicks, like someone said the Knicks can't get any worse, other than the $$$ the Knicks got an all-star guard and who did they give up Penny and Ariza. This deal will make the Knicks better, their chemistry can't get any worse with SF. The Knicks are not finished dealing, Crawford has to be available.

18. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

There's only one ball, I don't see how it help the Knicks with so many players are are only effective with the ball.

19. dream2franchise

Francis will wear #8, way to endear himself to the Knicks fans by wearing the number of their favourite player of the last ten years!!! :D

In all seriousness, i hope steve does well. I don't hate on him like oters here. I just want him to achieve what his talent is capable of. Good luck.

20. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

For many people here, you are either top 5 or worthless. Just look at the way they demand role players to stop every star, grab every rebound, sink every shot, and yet come with cheap price, you can imagine how much some would want from a star player with big contract. Francis obviously can't live up to that standard; therefore, he's worthless.