1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@bobrek

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That’s a very good point. I think he sensed that and decided to use dropping out as a way to attempt to bring Vietnam to some sort of an end. I think he knew that his conduct of the war had been filled with mistakes, that he had been deluged with bad advice and didn’t have the experience to differentiate between the good and the bad, and did he ever have some bad advice. He was both misled and lied to, in my opinion. LBJ knew the war was an albatross he carried on his back that impacted his legacy, and he did have some important accomplishments that it overshadowed. In my opinion, the worry he carried about the war in Vietnam helped to shorten his life.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with ambition and you need to be ambitious to run for President. How you show ambition though is what matters and the problem with how Kamala Harris went about it was that it was forced. The SNL skits of her are funny because they're spot on about her trying desperately to go viral. Even her signature of moment of going after Biden on busing proved to be very unauthentic.

It might not be fair to Harris and really a lot of women seem to struggle with how they show their ambition. Hillary Clinton was hit with the same criticism but this is a problem that I see with Harris.

4. Fantasma Negro

Build back better?
    [​IMG]

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

She's got my vote if that's the case

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I get that but what is the goal for Kamala? Is it narcissism? Is it to grift and make millions on book deals? Does she want a reality TV show? Or does she see an opportunity to be a uniting political figure like Obama that could move the country in the right direction so she’s tried very hard to get the profile needed to inspire that change?

That’s where I’m going with this criticism of ambition. I get that Hillary’s ambition was painted as self interested to make money and be a puppet for Wall Street (fair or not). But I do NOT think we know enough yet to know if that’s fair at all with Kamala.

However I do know that nothing would help Trump more if that Hillary narrative could carry over to Kamala. So why are we so eager to help propagate that narrative when we haven’t seen her at this level yet? Yes... we should pressure test, but I think immediately playing into Trump and FoxNews’ hand by propagating an unfounded narrative is a massive mistake.

So I just think we need to be smarter about this idea of “ambition”. No need to carry FoxNews’ water for them.

#806 dobro1229, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't consider myself a progressive but I also am not in love with this ticket. Biden still annoys me and as I said above I find Harris' grasping ambition off putting and think she shifts positions based upon trends too much. Even with all of that I will still do what I can to make sure they win.

There will be time for more debate and ideological battles between progressive and moderates after the election. There are legitimate differences that won't be decided by this election and shouldn't be papered over. Any change though towards progressive policies will not happen until Trump is out of office. Any change back towards what I would like to see as a government that respects Constitutional norms and rationality won't happen until Trump is out of office.

Biden Harris isn't perfect in either of those regards but this is the ticket and the only ticket that has possibility of defeating Trump.

DVauthrin, RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Biden is doing really well so far speaking.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean is he doing very well or is he just getting in the way of Trump tripping over himself?

Nook likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

but Kamala will decrease voter turnout I was told...hmmm

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I thought his speech introducing Harris was very solid...... he has not had to speak much with Trump ******* on the rug for the last 6 months so it was a concern to see if he would be rusty.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't think she is out to enrich herself but I do think she sees herself in similar messianic terms as Obama. I think she wants to be President because she sees herself as as a unique figure in history.

Most people who run for President have outsized egos and I don't think Harris is much different. Style matters though and while it might seem natural to an Obama Harris comes off as grasping and inauthentic.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

Bo definitely hit that

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Good speeches so far by both Biden and Harris but it does detract a lot not having a crowd.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

The one thing that I'm exited about Harris is her intelligence and rhetorical skills. She outclasses all other 3 men(Trump, Biden, Pence) in the race in that regard by a wide margin.

I wish Kamala debated Trump rather than Biden. She's far more quick on her feet and has far more wit and rhetorical skills than Biden.

DVauthrin likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

I anticipate a GS-Clevelend 2018 finals level beatdown

17. fchowd0311

Like I said before, I wish Harris debated Trump. The vast gulf in rhetorical skills and intelligence would be so large.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’d have an absolute meltdown after getting so thoroughly embarrassed by not just a woman, but a woman of color, in front of the entire nation

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You sort of have to be like that to be president. Just think about it. You have to believe that you literally are the most qualified person in the world to lead.

But again I just want to remind you that nothing would help Trump more if the Hillary narrative you alluded to catches wind with low information voters.

I get what you’re saying and I don’t disagree but the end goal for that “ambition” is what needs to matter with that narrative. Let’s see how the campaign changes her and how she settles in the role. At this point throwing out the Hillary narrative is very very counter productive.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree you need a ambition and a real sense of self to be President again though it's style. Harris just comes off as grasping and inauthentic.
    Following up on Fchowd's post I agree she's a very strong debater but in an age of fact checking and 24 hour media cycles she needs to be careful. Going after Joe Biden on busing was a savage attack line but once it came out that her position was essentially the same as his severely undercut her.

Regarding the Hillary Clinton comparison I obviously don't work for the Trump campaign, or do I ;), but it seems like a pretty obvious comparison to me. I would say if you were wondering how Trump would debate Kamala Harris I think it would be pretty much like how he debated Clinton. He would be a mixture of disdainful, insulting and untruthful.

Just to add if Trump's campaign strategist don't see that they aren't worth the money they are paid for.