1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Bernie didn't become President though.

fchowd0311, Os Trigonum and RayRay10 like this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Naked ambition to do what?

Line her own pockets by directing the government to serve you and become a dictator like Trump is trying, or ambition to do something else that actually can be used for good?

I think the Harris attacks or "pressure testing" that has been coming and will continue to come from the Left (F the right's opinion) is fine, but I think we need to be fair about how we ultimately position this leader. Barrack Obama was equally as ambitious but nobody really gave him that kind of grief on the left because most people thought he was still a pretty damn good president & knew that those ambitions put the country in a better place albeit not as far left as many in my party would have liked him to go.

I know Bernie folks were hit with a million pounds of Kamala opposition research early on the in primary, and I get it... most of the things in a normal Democracy would be things to scrutinize. However we are not in normal times, and we gotta be able to call balls & strikes but still focus on the goal of the game.... to put the country in the right place to still be a Democracy, getting money out of politics, and increasing individual liberties.

I think she's not perfect by any stretch because of her record as a prosecutor, and ideological shifts, but I personally think she's got enough to be a huge factor to help clean up the mess created by Trump and help re-create a much better pallet for Democracy which will give individuals a much much better shot at getting the things that the Bernie left ideologically think is key.

Deckard, Kim, DVauthrin and 1 other person like this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

That was pretty entertaining but he's wrong. 11Trump has foreign success, he took out the leader of Isis. If OBL counted for Obama then Gen. Salami counts for Trump. Then, both 5 and 6 are inconclusive at this time. The economy is rebounding and positive gdp numbers that we will get right before the election can turn 5 true. 6 if you look at the jobs report, I know people are getting tired of hearing this but there were record lows in unemployment across the board this time last year and they were great this time two years ago too, depending on what the third quarter jobs report says can turn 6 true. And 12, Trump doesn't have charisma? The argument is he appeals only to a certain audience, so did Obama. Trump has no charisma? Come on man!! The professor exercised some double standards but even with 5 & 6 being inconclusive I've got 8/13.
    1F 2T 3T 4T 5.? 6.? 7T 8F 9F 10T 11T 12T 13T

BTW he was wrong on George W. He predicted Al Gore would win. The election of 2000 proved his rules are a great indicator of the popular vote and not necessarily the electoral college, thus the election but the guy is brilliant. If I ever get on "Who wants to be a Millionaire", I'm designating him as a lifeline.

4. dobro1229

I just want to reiterate this one more time: I don't give a crap what Trump supporters think about Harris. I DO however care to get the opinions of the Bernie Progressives on the left.

I hope that post this pick, the campaign will still keep the progressives highly involved in the campaign. Bernie & AOC are important leaders to continue to have a huge voice in the room on virtually every major decision.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I thought most progressives would hate this pick. I mean, based on Kamala's history, it's possible that she will be pushed to become more progressive as we inch closer to 2024, so they may have that going for them.

When Biden released his updated plan that he worked with progressives to put together, they still weren't happy.

Progressives don't accept the status quo, they want real change and Harris/Biden do not represent that to them.

dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

MSNBC article so make of it what you will...

GOP struggles to figure out its message about Kamala Harris
    Republicans had months to come up with a plan of attack against Kamala Harris. But following the historic announcement, the GOP's message was a mess.
    https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...g-attacking-kamala-harris-isn-t-easy-n1236488

Reeko likes this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

9. dobro1229

I agree, but I just don't think the voters really understand that the purity test is just not helpful. The biggest historical figure for Progressives they look back at is definitely FDR, and what they do not realize that is FDR came from essentially Corporate America and big wealth. If he was in the race today, he would have been blasted the same way that Bloomberg was.

However FDR was essentially the man for the moment, and really shifted during his presidency to do what was best for the country to break out of Depression, and establish the framework that help the middle class together from FDR to Reagan.

I understand that the purity test is HUUUUUGGGEEEE with Bernie Progressives. You need to be ideologically locked in from birth, but I just wish that there was a bit more perspective about the ability to be the person at a particular moment in history vs. constantly looking for a unicorn. Trust me... Bernie is not perfect either, and he's got a background that put under scrutiny would have it's black marks too.

The power progressives have to INFLUENCE the right person with a broad appeal, an open mind, and human decency IMO is more powerful than having the supposed unicorn candidate. I just wish the leaders in the progressive movement could articulate this better to their base through their media to help shape the part influence rather than just having a smaller minority that pouts in the corner & helps split the party to keep Right Wingers in power.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harris wasn't my first choice, but I have a fantasy that with her prosecutor and AG background, she's going to lead the charge against the Trump family crime syndicate post-election.

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

WORSE THAN POCAHONTAS!

Dubious and RayRay10 like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I wouldn't be so giddy about that. Presidential adminstrations often take a hands off approach in dealing with the previous administration's illegal activities.

If Trump is going to be indicted and charged after he's out of office, it's going to be through the SDNY.

13. fchowd0311

The progressive influence has to outweigh the corporate influence which I doubt. I'm sure they'll pay lip service to some proggesive ideas. Let's hope this admin surprises me. All I'm expecting out of this admin is calming the nation down which is an extremely important task also before some serious reform happens with future administrations.

Serious reform is needed or else we are going to get a worse version of Trump, possibly a smart version of Trump who is far more competent.

14. dobro1229

100%. Tom Cotton scares the living crap out of me and if there’s a splitting of the Democratic Party because party leaders don’t listen to the base and reform our politics, someone like Tom Cotton will have the ability to take the minority of the Trump base and win because of the fractures the party has.

Couldn’t agree more. There is an ask this year to unify now as a coalition because of Trump but if the party doesn’t get back to its FDR roots I do not see another election cycle where progressives won’t break off which will be a detriment.

fchowd0311 and RayRay10 like this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

Anyone got a pic of Kamala's new face yet?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Again, what does that have to do with my post? As to whether RFK would have run regardless, we will never know. LBJ dropped out. What I can tell you is that LBJ was worried that Kennedy would run in 1968. Regardless, LBJ decided not to run for re-election, Bobby Kennedy did run, and on the night he won the California primary and was on his way to taking the nomination, in my opinion, he was murdered.

I saw LBJ tell the nation on national television that he wasn’t going to run again. I was very interested and involved in politics at the time and don’t need to have LBJ explained to me. He was one very complicated Texan.

KingCheetah, Dubious and RayRay10 like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He was also dying and wouldn't have survived his term -- he only made by 2 days in retirement.

RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

don't think Kamala will advocate defunding the Popo

Trump's scarecrow said " she is going to have to account for all her mar1juana prosecutions"
    That's rich ha, she's the tough on crime candidate. (it was the law and that was her job)

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

I hate how reform lingo can be so generic without context such as "defund the police". God damn liberals can be very bad at messaging sometimes.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I agree
    But you won't hear anything like that from the Democratic campaign, but it will be ad nauseum for GOP ads.

RayRay10 likes this.