1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bike for less than 200$

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jul 30, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Was looking for a used bike but all I have seen are over 400$ and more than I need.

I am looking for something to ride liesurley because I don't like walking and want to get some cardio since I cannot go to the gym.

I am a big guy and tall, I need gears, what should I be looking in a bike. I have a shorter inseam so 26 inches will be ok but looking at 27.5 and 29.

These are some I have been looking a.t

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose...9-inch-wheels-21-speeds-black-white/873417216

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-29-DS-Flexor-Mountain-Men-s-Bike-Black/47443501

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Used bikes are stupid expensive these days more than double what they cost before the rona, because everyone is doing what you are doing.

Sajan, TWS1986 and jiggyfly like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

New inexpensive bikes are rare as well, most Walmarts are sold out.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i would think it's going to be hard to find a decent bike that you would actually want to ride for less than $200. depends what it is, but $400 for a good, used road bike sounds about right.

im a leisure rider...nothing serious. my average ride is anywhere b/t 10-20 miles and in non-summer weather i might do that once or twice a month. i have a fuji absolute that i bought new for like $350 in 2013. pricing on them now seems to be about $400. if i was more serious about biking id spend more money b/c i definitely see the value in a good bike, but for what i do im happy with what i got.

im guessing more people are riding b/c of covid, but also the trump tariffs are causing bikes to go up in price as well.

https://www.crimsonbikes.com/produc...BFFoReT43YOQG6Q5qko67UVOApjub32xoC5fAQAvD_BwE

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would I not want to ride a bike under 200?

Not being funny but what would be wrong with it because most of the reviews are positive.

I am only going to riding about 3 to 5 miles a pop and if I decide to bike more I will get a better bike.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'd hit Craigslist before I bought a Walmart bike... Sidenote: What happened to Mongoose bikes?

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have done that and pickings are slim and expensive.

Mongoose seems to be a good company most manufacturers have low price models, they still sell high-end bikes.

Not everything at Walmart is crap, are you a bike snob.:eek:

Will probably take to a bike shop and have them assemble it and upgrade as needed.

TWS1986 likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Have you considered stealing a bike? Then you could get it for free :cool:

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

5 years ago I would have done this but those days are over and I can afford not to.

I actually know several good spots to get one if I wanted.;)

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

If you do buy a inexpensive bike don't get suspension get a rigid frame -- cheap suspension is terrible (mushy) and will drive you crazy.

jiggyfly, TWS1986 and Sanctity like this.
  11. Asian Sensation

Just be a little patient and keep searching. You should be able to find a used bike and hair gel combo.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You’d be plenty fine with either of those bikes for just getting in some exercise around the neighborhood.

jiggyfly and ico4498 like this.
  13. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

14. KingCheetah

BTW 29" - 26" is the wheel size -- you need to check frame size which will be around 18" give or take.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How about a skateboard? I can teach you some sick tricks.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You are going to have to go the used routes because the big box stores don't have anything right now. I went to a bike shop and got one of their low end mountain bikes and it was the last one they had in that model. They said if you ordered it might come in between Nov-April. The shutdown closed a lot of factories plus sales were up 500% in May from last year so thats pretty much why there isn't much out there right now.

There are also a lot of people trying to cash in on the shortage too I saw someone asking for $1500 for a bike that retails for $550

17. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Did you try bikes direct? I guess they are compromised as well.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My go-to for hard to find items is always either Galveston or way out in ‘country’ areas. Less disposable income, different needs. When the Wii came out and it was ‘impossible’ to find I found it at GameStop and Walmart in Galveston.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I looked on there for giggles and almost every bike on there is sold out or pre-order. I was told the bike market has almost grown 30 percent because of covid, and would probably be higher than that if they could build the bikes faster.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Sounds like I need to sell the Trek I bought 2 years ago.