1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking: Former Glee Star Naya Rivera presumed dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaBeard, Jul 9, 2020.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Jontro and Blatz like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sad especially with three other cast members of the same show dying young also.

3. SuraGotMadHops

Too many incidents like these. I don't care how good of a swimmer you are, if you are on a boat have a life jacket on at all times.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Can you explain this more in detail... I'm not being disingenuous, it's just that I don't understand how jumping in water and realizing it's pretty cold 10-15 feet down would cause someone to freeze up and drown. We aren't talking about the Atlantic. It seems more likely she hit an obstruction, got stuck in something, and panicked, and wasn't able to free herself before drowning.

I am just fascinated (in a morbid type of way, admittedly) about how these things seem to happen so frequently. From the evidence so far it doesn't seem that she was under the influence. She was apparently swimming with her son, and it's pretty unlikely she would have strayed too far from him as he is 4 years old. Just absolutely bizarre...

Sajan likes this.
  5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Wasn't a Glee watcher, but I do remember her from this forum in an NFL thread supporting her brother.

[​IMG]

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I saw something maybe even crazier than that... When I was getting certified for scuba diving there was a guy in my class that couldn't swim. I still can't figure out how/why he decided to become certified and skipping the- I need to know how to swim part. I mean he managed to make it through the course (after repeating the swimming sections) but I honestly hope he worked on it more later.

For example, when I say he couldn't swim, he was trying to run with his flippers/gear on in the water... I think he got a little better by the end, like when he was my partner for the class, I grabbed his leg and straightened it for him, and spent some extra time discussing how to swim/don't run in water- that's for land etc etc. Unfortunately by the time I was partnered with him we were already in open water at the lake and out of the swimming pool.

Anyway, I still wonder... I mean up till that point he was partnered with someone... And I don't know if everyone was so focused on learning or what that they didn't notice him swimming like that... I'm hoping my quick swimming lesson helped, but I still have never witnessed anything like that.

Buck Turgidson and Kim like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I agree with you regarding the deeper/colder water for someone with normal health, and I'm not talking about this tragedy. But the only other thing I could think of is if someone was diving deep/freediving etc to the colder deeper section and had some underlying health condition- ie they got down 15-20 ft + and then had an undiagnosed heart condition etc. that by pushing more than their limits came out at the wrong time. Or they got tangled up below.

When I was training to be certified for scuba I got caught up on a rock I couldn't see in the lake near a cliff/wall but since I had oxygen/partner took the extra 10 seconds you might not have if you're freediving. I have a lot of experience swimming/on the water etc. and it was a reality check even for me with how fast you can go from having fun to being in danger.

I'm definitely not discouraging swimming and still go plenty to lakes with/without scuba gear. I just recommend being careful and trying to plan as best as possible for things that might happen. For example, no matter how good of a diver I am, I'm not diving alone etc.

#27 CCity Zero, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

malakas, CCity Zero and KingCheetah like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Thermoclines can be pretty shocking and produce a current and I would bet she was a weak swimmer, the boat drifted and/or she drifted in a slight current became exhausted and panicked.

CCity Zero and Ubiquitin like this.
  10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think this happen to me in Cancun when I went snorkeling in the late 90s , I thought my breath was knocked out and luckily was close to shore

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

There are temps under some lakes that are arctic level... the sudden shock can freeze you up and then your body cant function well enough to get to the surface. I used to work with a guy that helped with search and rescues in lakes. You wouldn't believe how dangerous lakes are.... there are also hidden tree trunks in some... boulders... and if you go under and a current hits you no telling where it will take you. Some will push bodies under to key points that are even dangerous for divers. There are other ways people drown too... maybe drunk... cramped up (cold doesn't help mind you) and panic....

Normal conditions are fine but underwater can vary.... this one lake was known for cold water spots apparently. Hit that after a hot spell in the sun and you have a potentially dangerous recipe. That almost killed alexander the great in a cold river actually... no one is immune to this effect.

CCity Zero and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

its also not a smart idea to bring a 4 year old with just you, glad he's ok. RIP

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It sucks that there was an adult life vest on board the pontoon boat and she chose not to wear it. One has to wonder if she even contemplated it in consideration of being on the safe side given she is with her 4 year old. Also, if this lake is so unsafe to swim in, then maybe the people renting her the boat could have thrown in that warning?

#33 Surfguy, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Sajan likes this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, you're right about this too. The lakes I'm used to diving don't have this crazy dip in temperature. Ie it doesn't go from 75-80+ on top to a pocket that's sub 50 F, don't get me wrong there's a drop in temperature the lower you go regardless of the lake but the extreme temperature difference is fortunately not that devastating.

I'm familiar with reading about cold water shock but fortunately haven't experienced it, but you're right - no matter how experienced a person is it can happen to anyone. I think sometimes people forget that water temp is not the same as air temp, and a sudden change in air temp/water temp is a very different experience.

malakas likes this.
  15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member