1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NASCAR cancels the Confederacy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Don't know how you got that out of what I stated .... reading comprehension fail.

IDGAF about that flag myself .... the flag I care about is in my avatar.

Damn you all killing my people , stealing our lands , whites and blacks alike.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you were insisting the CONFEDERATE FLAG is your/their HERITAGE yes or no?

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Their heritage is a far cry from "My heritage".

It is "Their heritage" - Those who brought about Neck Car.

4. vlaurelio

we that still falls under being ignorant or racist

5. vlaurelio

who said NASCAR was being taken away from them?

it's just the Confederate Flag which is being banned from NASCAR events

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Forget it.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand that history and heritage is important but at the same time it can be a trap. This isn't to you bu in general. I've seen some of my Trump supporting friends post stuff like "No black personal alive or their parents were slaves and no white person or their parents owned slaves so it's stupid to bring that up." Well no one alive today or their parents were members of the Confederacy or went through Reconstruction so it should be stupid then to get worked up about the removal of Confederate statues and taking down the Confederate Battle Flag.

I think history is very important to know but history can be a trap especially when people look at it selectively. I understand there is a deep heritage and history in the South and also the origins of NASCAR. If that history is looking back on the Confederacy and the humiliation of Reconstruction then we also need to look at the whole history of the Confederacy and also the whole history of the Reconstruction. That means recognizing that the Confederacy fought to keep the institution of slavery and that violent racist groups like the Klan rose up out of Reconstruction.

Also regarding the history of slavery. Since we live in the US it seems like the US is the only country that addresses their history of slavery. Actually many countries do. There has been a long debate in Brazil and other South American countries regarding their slavery and racist past. That still reverberates today with that in much of Latin America power and wealth are often held by people with more European blood and lighter skinned while the most poor are descendants of indigenous people and slaves. In Europe there has long been debates regarding issues of both slavery and colonialism. William Wilberforce was the leader of the British Abolitionist movement and ended slavery in the UK long before the US had. He is regarding as a hero while we just a couple of weeks ago we saw a statue of Edward Colston who had been a major philanthropist in Bristol who made his fortune as a slave trader get toppled.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Apparently you do -- keep fighting the good fight.

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Does Germany allow Nazi symbols? Name another country that allows symbols from defeated Traitors to fly/stand as “Hertiage”? Confederate symbols were there to intimidate Blacks in the South.

DVauthrin likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You also misinterpreted what I stated .... It was nothing but a history lesson on the origins of NASCAR - Not my point of view.

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I agree with your bold point about eliminating poverty. Tackling wealth inequality is a yuge one, along with eliminating ad hoc discrimination in a business / professional setting.

But this point :
    You know what I find strange ? .... Every country in the western hemisphere had people brought in as slaves , by the millions - every country in South America and the Caribbean , many of these countries continued slavery long after the US abolition (Brazil 1888 - Cuba 1886 - Puerto Rico 1873) Yet .... Only in America are we having this conversation.​

Those countries have not "moved on" with their racism. Brazil's social classes still involve how much native or African mix the person has. Many of the countries you listed continue to have lighter skinned leadership operating the top rungs of society.

The "strange" is not so strange because they're not having the conversation openly to the point where Americans don't know about it and assume the issue is settled. The US can set the example but obviously our issues aren't settled either.

We want to pretend and wish it away like Covid because talking about it makes everyone feel uncomfortable.

It's that ignorance that continues this "noose" from spreading around. First it's a slap on the wrist for a "harmless joke" when a dumb valueless kid does it. Then thirty years later, that same dumb joke of a kid does it with a purpose because he's too chickenshit to stand up directly for his own self worth.

mdrowe00, RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Jesus. What a f***ing imbecile our president is.

Trump is basically David Duke at this point.

mdrowe00, DVauthrin, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.