1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NASCAR cancels the Confederacy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 10, 2020.

1. conquistador#11

My biggest surprise was that the UK, New Zealand and Germany had real bigly crowds. I don't think that's getting enough applause.

*I'm not including France because they riot for everything. World cup 2018 victory left 2 dead and 12 million Euros in damages in less than a 12 hour span.

Invisible Fan, RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This dude is consistently funny.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Anyone who knows NASCAR fans know that this is impossible to prevent. The ban will likely just be with their corporate media showing the flags on national TV.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

They could provide free denim jacket swaps at the gate .

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You have to know they were getting huge pressure from corporate sponsors to do this.

I was surprised to learn they wanted to do this in 2015 but got huge backlash.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I applaud their stance but NASCAR is going to have a hard time enforcing this and their base is going to resist angrily.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...no doubt.

...sort of seems like NASCAR officials kind of anticipated that resistance and moved forward anyway...

...if Ryan McGee is to be believed, that is...

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's terrible ... really wish we could put all this race talk behind us.

But NASCAR has to expect some backlash from this - Dixie is their roots. NASCAR was born of prohibition era moonshiners in formerly confederate states. That's been the majority of their fan base , predominately white , southern from the word go up to today.
    Those people are proud of their heritage .... and to them , marginalizing and erasing it isn't an option , I'm pretty sure they see that as an attack on their history.
    There's a lot of bad because of the actions of the north post civil war , burning their homes , raping their women & killing untold numbers of men & the carpetbaggers ....

Funny - I never knew until the last couple weeks that Bubba Wallace was black ... Hard to see what a guy looks like sitting in a car wearing all that protective gear from head to toe. (Not that I watch much NASCAR either - watching guys turn left isn't my idea of entertainment).

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL so expected backlash is a noose? that's their heritage??

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

People who support the confederate flag after all this nonsense are losers and they aren’t the ones spending money so this won’t hurt NASCAR’s bottom line. People who enjoy watching will still watch

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Don't be ridiculous.

13. vlaurelio

going to war to keep slaves IS ridiculous

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That wasn't the subject matter.

The subject matter was the history of Neck Car and its deep south roots ....

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There will be a backlash, but the noose just ruins any "heritage, not hate" argument and makes it a:
    [​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't at all disagree with that sentiment - one which I was not addressing.

I was simply making a statement that there would be backlash because of the roots of the sport . It was born in the anti-prohibition South .... and that the people probably feel their heritage is under attack.

Some seem to want to project that slavery & lynchings are the be all end all of that heritage .... but there's a whole lot more to the south and its history than "Just the civil war".

Let me be clear - as I thought I was in the first post - I'm not defending nor approving of the "noose" .... I think it was a terrible act.

You know what I find strange ? .... Every country in the western hemisphere had people brought in as slaves , by the millions - every country in South America and the Caribbean , many of these countries continued slavery long after the US abolition (Brazil 1888 - Cuba 1886 - Puerto Rico 1873) Yet .... Only in America are we having this conversation.

The rest of the world has moved on ....

And again , I'm going to point out that this isn't really a racial issue (cops killing people). Its an economic one.

By the numbers since Jan 1 2015 - 5,424 people have been shot dead by police.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/police-shootings-database/

2478 of those were white.

1298 of those were black.

904 Brown (hispanic)

219 "Other"

525 "Unknown"

Yes - the numbers are disproportionate in terms of total population but take a deeper look and focus on economics. Almost to the letter , these instances happen in the same types of places - typically poor area's where those people aren't valued by police or anyone else.

We need to have a war on poverty rather than a war on police or a war on drugs.

And lets be brutally honest - how many times has the media blown up the TV waves with cops killing anyone other than blacks ? There have been nearly twice the number of cases yet I can't recall hearing about a single one via the mainstream media.
    They want this civil unrest - they profit from it and they further their agenda as a result of it.

Anyone making a racial issue of this are doing us all a disservice.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. vlaurelio

Move on. You/They lost.

The Confederate States of America (CSA), commonly referred to as the Confederate States (C.S. or CS) or the Confederacy, was an unrecognized republic[1] that had waged war against the Union states during the American Civil War.[2]

Existing from 1861 to 1865,[3] the Confederacy was originally formed by seven secessionist slave-holding statesSouth Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas—in the Lower South region of the United States, whose economy was heavily dependent upon agriculture, particularly cotton, and a plantation system that relied upon the labor of African-American slaves.[4] Convinced that white supremacy[3][5] and the institution of slavery[3][5] were threatened by the November 1860 election of Republican candidate Abraham Lincoln to the U.S. presidency on a platform which opposed the expansion of slavery into the western territories, the Confederacy declared its secession in rebellion against the United States, with the loyal states becoming known as the Union during the ensuing American Civil War.[2] In a speech known today as the Cornerstone Address, Confederate Vice President Alexander H. Stephens described its ideology as being centrally based "upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition".[6]

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Stop being intentionally obtuse.

19. vlaurelio

that's the heritage you keep on fighting for.

guess when your precious flag was created.