1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I just spent 8 hours today with a bunch of Trumpers and I’m telling you guys now... they’ll walk through broken glass for Trump still.

They are more worried about F-ing confederate statues then they are about the fact that all of them have either been furloughed or had their salaries reduced and people that they know have died because of corona. It’s insane how animated they are about confederate statues... truly shocking. Really... how easy is if for FoxNews to manipulate these people?

Im just all kinds of done with the apathy and ignorance constantly surrounding me here in Texas. I made a comment tonight about how I’m a Lib always surrounded by Trumpers and asked them if they could ever deal with the reverse (Always being circled by Libs) and they all about jumped out of their chairs “ahh hell naw”. It would be pretty funny actually if it wasn’t kinda sad.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'll chalk that first paragraph up to a disagreement since I've already shared my POV. For me to answer you on that, you'd have had to have provided arguments as to why you think the Democratic coalition is fractured, after I explained why I believe they're not.

As to what changed, he got elected which many people that voted for him didn't think possible. Many of those voters were casting protest votes and many that were doing that were moderate Republicans, including some very famous "never-Trumpers." (That will not happen again.)

The other thing that happened is that he governed for 3.5 years and proved how dangerous he could be to, well, everybody and everything.

How is this mysterious?

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

My wife's side are all FL Trumpers to the core. They think the world will be over if he's not reelected. I just don't get it. We are the only ones that think the opposite. It's a shame because our families have always been more close than any other, but some of our comments and our kid's social media posts have strained the relationship. We have a wedding coming up next spring - should be interesting how we'll be received when Sleepy Joe takes over and starts undoing all Trump's work.

And I never knew there were so many racists in this country. I knew they were out there but didn't think there were this many. I guess like roaches - if you see a couple in the daytime, you've got hundreds more in the walls that come out at night.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That's going to leave a mark

5. No Worries

The Criminal in Chief is describing The Lost Cause, only 100 years too late. I hate it when Donnie has to play catchup.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep. The crew I was with last night was the racist side. The other side of my family is the evangelical (the rapture is coming) crew which are even more on the Trump train.

I guess my point is that people should not buy into any narrative that Trump is losing that many voters if any. There is a good chunk of America that hates liberalism so much they’d vote for literally anyone or anything that FoxNews told them was anti liberal. Trump will have at least the same turnout as he did in 2016 if not slightly more.

Democratic voters, party leaders, and organizers need to have a game changing strategy. I feel like they might already be challenging themselves by confusing the electorate on vote by mail and there’s not enough being done to put pressure on local governments to open more safe polling places. If you can safely show up in person for early voting in a socially distant way, that’s the best way.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump stumbles and slurs over the same words so often... like "Uli-see-us" Grant...

Hakeemtheking and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

9. NewRoxFan

LOL, I saw it referred to as "rotisserie chicken"...

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  10. No Worries

... him and the Confederate Generals.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

wtf...

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Good point... with all the important challenges facing America, trump tries to distract with a stephen miller hate speech

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My question is rhetorical - the point being that nothing really has changed. All Trump has done is unmasked what the GOP always has been for the past 50 years.

I never claimed the Democratic party is fractured party (so not sure why you are asking I provide proof for something I never claimed), but I do think it's overly broad. While philosophically the goals might be in line between moderates and the left, the means by which those goals should be achieved are vastly different. It's really idealism vs pragmatism, and I belong to the later camp. Also moderate dems are not as pro-choice as the far left, not as anti-gun, and not as pro-LGBTQ. In fact, many moderates break with the left on these issues. Many moderates are pro-business and pro-trade, which against puts them at odds with the left. So no, not fractured, but definitely not a unified coalition except when faced with a Trump. Do you remember how hard it was to unite Democrats to pass Obamacare?

Trumpism isn't going away even if he loses. Polarization isn't going away. There's a disease in this country and it has been festering for a long time, and there is no easy cure.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  15. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

The disease of anti-americanism? I agree. Also, don't Trumpism is unique to him. I don't think you'll see another candidate come in and talk like he's Monday night WWE. But 'we' (the right/centered right) will not forgot what left has done to try and take down America. Polarization? Absolutely. The people I know personally are angry. Maybe that's a location thing: I live and work in Harris County and Montgomery County. I will tell you one thing that I think is promising, and that is people are more aware of racism and are making the effort. I know there will be racists that will continue to be racists. But now I see people telling them that type of language or rhetoric isn't welcome. I've seen two examples recently and that tells me the folks I run into in daily life and business are making the effort root it out.

Happy & Safe 4th of July to all Americans and would be Americans!!

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Who gives a **** about flag burning?

Jayzers_100 and RayRay10 like this.
  17. No Worries

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The disease of hate and nativism. The fact that you didn't understand that from my post is why it exists. Too many people turn a blind eye to it and pretend it doesn't exist. But it's everywhere. Not just on the far right either. It's not getting better, it's getting worse. I don't know if George Floyd was a turning point, but I am not holding my breath. Racism isn't just about rhetoric or police brutality.

Happy 4th.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Except we have data and votes from hundreds of elections in 2017, 2018, and 2019, and 2020 to prove otherwise. I don't understand this "I still know crazy Trump voters, so nothing has changed" nonsense. I mean, even if Trump loses 60-40%, that still means there are going to be 50,000,000+ Trump votes. Pointing out a few dozen of them is evidence of nothing at all.

That's literally the opposite of what they need. They need to repeat exactly what they've done the last 3 years and they will win in a landslide.