1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video about privilege

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 7, 2020.

?

What did you think about this video?

1. I found it moving - it made it tangible to me what privilege means

42.9%
  2. I found it offensive - it reinforced stereotypes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other - please explain

57.1%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

RayRay10, Andre0087 and Reeko like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lmao, I think this every time.

dude is an Uncle Ruckus...a Paris Dennard...a male Candace Owens

RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

As much as he is pissed @bobrek I'm guessing one of @pgabriel eyes is about to start popping the **** out just like Uncle Ruckus.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Based on this video I guess I was pretty entitled, only thing I didn't get was a scholarship...not too bad I guess.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I said white privilege was about racism.

This video isn't about racism

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. swakid8

swakid8 Member

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obviously the difference in wealth between whites and blacks have historical roots. However the first question about married parents is a black problem

It's not priviledge it's a black problem

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

So both parents being married is a black problem only? How so? I mean I find that statement to be pretty ridiculous.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

okay

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

According to the video parents being is white privilege

Do you disagree that a black kid is less likely to have a father figure?

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That makes sense, especially given the harsher sentences for the same crimes applied to black defendants who committed the same crime and have the same record. So more of those parents might be doing a long time away from their children.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If you're a black man then I will answer the question, do you claim heritage from the motherland?

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Iyes

14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

What does that even mean?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The video doesn't hit the nail on the coffin.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I found it moving, and only selected "other" because I already knew the meaning of White privilege. I learned it in the 1950's seeing "Whites Only" signs for the restrooms at the local city park in my neighborhood in Southeast Houston, signs that also applied to the pool itself. I learned it riding in a city bus with my grandmother on Saturdays to window shop downtown and have lunch at Foley's, riding because she didn't drive and lived alone, and seeing a few White Houstonians, including us, sitting in the front, with a crowd of Black Houstonians in the back of the bus.

I was lucky. My mother was a housewife and my Dad became a university professor and department chair when he had the "luck" of enlisting in the Navy in early 1942. Lucky because when he enlisted and they asked him if he had any "unusual skills," he replied that he built radios at home as a hobby (and so he could have his own), and knew something about how they worked. Within a few months, he was teaching radar at Corpus Christie Naval Air Station to other men in the Navy, many much older than he was. We were all lucky that the GI Bill got him a college education, gave him a chance at a career, and enabled them to buy the house I grew up in. Dad made the most of his luck. I was just lucky.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That’s white privilege

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think it exactly fits the definition. It's half "luck" and half institutional racism that's less enforceable or provable.

I'm less likely to be pulled over in my luxury car than James Harden. I'm not even white, but even if I were pulled over, I'd be less likely to be randomly searched from probable cause.

I've even been let go with a warning instead of a ticket by following the rules and being unassuming. Being given the benefit of the doubt is lucky, but it's not a trait afforded to everyone.

So you think it might be a matter of having "drugs in the system". In college, my white roommate went to a rave loaded up on pcp and ecstasy. He got spooked, went outside, got lost and tried to force his way back in. It took five security guards to hold him down and subdue him. He should've spent his ass in jail, but ended up spending the night at the drunk tank with his dad being able to drop the charges.

Another example is "speaking to your manager". It's speaking to authority and demanding to be treated as an equal or a "valued customer". Oprah got turned away at a fancy store in Europe because she didn't look the clientele. Similar reasoning. I could walk in like a uncultured geek, sporting a hoodie, and while the store people would roll their eyes at me, they'd still check if I mean business.

White privilege isn't about family history. Nigerian immigrants are among the most educated and successful ethnic groups in the US. They haven't faced the racism to the degree "native" African Americans had within their lineage. Still have a travel ban...

Still get randomly pulled over with the car you earned and treated differently.

But if you're a European immigrant who speaks fluent English without much of an accent (they exist, are numerous, and are lurking around...), the doors are wider without questioning your credentials.

None of these examples deal with growing up with one parent or paying your bills on time. In fact, I still think America is among the best countries for second chances. It's just that some people run out of chances faster than others.

It's much harder to define because it's the cleaner byproduct of a system based upon rules that can be inherently unfair by whomever the gatekeeper you happen to deal with (jobs, college admissions, financial aid, promotions, criminal justice, careers with high visibility....).

#38 Invisible Fan, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Deckard, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its history and you should really get past it because nothing will change the past

We can change how cops treat people differently. We can't ho backwards

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They charge extra for that