1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video about privilege

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 7, 2020.

?

What did you think about this video?

1. I found it moving - it made it tangible to me what privilege means

42.9%
  2. I found it offensive - it reinforced stereotypes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other - please explain

57.1%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm black. All that stuff applied to.me because my family doesn't pass down ignorance.

Black people have to fix their problems. First question are your parents married
    That's an unfair advantage?. Should we do reverse affirmative action to level playing field because black homes are broken?

The government or rich white people doesn't break those homes.

This video is incredibly stupid and its not even about the concept of white privilege. White privilege is something like a police officer being more suspicious of a black man than a white one.

This video says black families need to get their **** together

generalthade_03 likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never was a big fan of this video as I just feel it really oversimplifies the idea of privilege.

It's missing the aspect of entitlement on one side and completely glosses over that racism is a factor.

jiggyfly, Sanctity and RayRay10 like this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

White people being responsible and blacks not being responsible isn't priviledge. Its black people need to be more responsible

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah, this is more purely about financial privilege, which applies to everybody, but by in large disproportionately applies to those of color, due to like you mentioned, the complexity of the factors like slavery, civil rights, institutional racism. So it could use more detail, but I still think it's a good video for basic visualization of the biggest form of modern privilege, which is a result of this countries past.

RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sure but whites in this country didn't go through slavery and get civil rights in the late 60's. While your family has done well catching up, it's just weird to pretend like that wasn't a ****ing gigantic anchor on a whole race of people.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You think all white people have access to private education?

You're right a lot in this video is about wealth and all whites aren't wealthy

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No, and I didn't say that.

You're not going to have an easy time with this angle for me, because I would have been at the starting line if I was in that video.

EDIT - re-watched, near the starting line, 2 steps ahead.

#8 ThatBoyNick, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    RayRay10 and pgabriel like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You being at the starting line has nothing to do with whites

I'm very blessed by whom my parents are but they aren't wealthy. An R.N. and a postal worker. They are incredibly responsible, my mother has an 800 credit score

They are in their 80's so they grew up during real racism. My dad actually comes from a divorced home which was a lot rarer when he grew up.

My mother's father actually worked at a refinery. My mother has 2 brothers left after 6 and one sister. I have an issue with her and her brothers talking about growing up poor. They used to say my grandfather dug ditches. About 7 years ago a first cousin of my mother who did well with money he made working at the refinery told me grandfather got him the refining job. I was like what and told my mom she needs to stop lying about growing up poor.

I do understand why they lied about it because they don't want to seem like they thought they were better than their friends but I digress.

My mom's first cousin who worked at the refinery is 96. My grandfather would be 120. They both were very responsible with their money.

Obviously not a lot of blacks had access to well paying jobs but a lot of blacks were more responsible then than maybe now

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well, it has something to do with at least a couple of whites because I'm white (half Hispanic, but Spaniard so basically 100% white). My point was, I know what it's like to be in poverty, I had a roller coaster growing up with big highs, and big lows... but I'm not one going to be one of those dudes who yells "Yeah but white poor people eat **** too!" when talking about privilege, I know damn well what it's like to eat ****, eating **** sucks no matter what color you are, but to pretend privilege doesn't exist because of my single personal experience is extremely short-sighted.

I get your angle, you're all about self-accountability, and there's nothing wrong with that, and there's nothing wrong with being proud of your family for their hard work, there's nothing wrong yearning for more black people to replicate your families self-made success, where we disagree is your belief that there isn't privilege, that the giant pull from the historical anchor on blacks isn't still being felt today.

That's silly, just pretend the race in that video is a 200-year relay race, and you might understand better where people are coming from. For your family, you had enough gifted people haul ass when handed their baton, you personally are now caught up on a lot of levels, and you certainly aren't the only one, but that doesn't mean you represent the majority, and that doesn't mean other black people are doing something wrong to not be where you are today.

mdrowe00, Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There is priviledge, I'm just saying this isn't white privilege. Priviledge is more about direct racism. Priviledge is passing up a black guy for a job for a white all else things being equal.

On wealth in general black people have to accept we're never going tocatch up in terms of the past and there isn't anything that can be done. Reparations are never happening.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A good recent example of white privilege is the whole Kaepernick saga.

Lebron says something about it. "Shut up and dribble."
    Brees says something about it. "He has a right to his opinion you know?"

Want to see white privilege in stats and numbers?

How about that if you have a black sounding name you are less likely to be hired? I think that's one example of it...or how black women are told how to keep their hair. Little things like that.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes that type of privilege still happens to this day, direct racism, but the bigger problem is where black people currently are because of slavery segregation, systemic racism.

It's not about catching up in the past, the past is over, it's about catching up now, catching up in the future. The current black families' net worth is zero. White people 100k, that's white privilege, and because black people didn't choose to come to this country, they were enslaved for hundreds of years, they helped build this country, I think it's our job as a nation to make sure their descendants are at least first-tier citizens.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There is nothing that can be done. There is never gonna be a tax exclusively for whites to redistribute wealth to blacks.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It doesn't have to be, this country could just focus on helping the poor and that will disproportionately help blacks, natives, and Hispanics. Those who disproportionately need help.

I'll pick one topic

The infant mortality rate in this country for black babies is 11.5 per 1k. If you know anything about infant mortality rates for highly developed countries, that number should sicken you. You know Kazakhstan, the place Borat is from? They have a lower infant mortality rate. ****ing LIBYA has a lower infant mortality rate. Same type of ****ed up infant mortality rate for Native Americans as well at 9.5.

What kind of ****ing country do we live in that doesn't take care about our children and mothers in need? Talking about things like this put a pit in my stomach and make me so ashamed of this country. The poverty is out of ****ing hand, the inequality is out of hand. If there's nothing that can be done about that, then **** this country.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm Asian and a lot of it applied to me. I have had a privileged life though that's probably not the point when discussing White Privilege. I also don't think that dude had to single people out that way to make a point.

Conflating the the two does a great disservice to what attitudes white Americans should re-examine.

It's 2020, should we still pass resumes for "funny sounding" names or the properness of people's accents? It still happens. Think a credit score is all you need to get a mortgage approved? It still depends.

I wish people succeed by virtue of how responsible and hard working they are, but it really isn't how things are for certain classes. That we could fix and address but it takes everyone to agree to it.

RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

May I ask what nation your ancestors came from (I'm half Korean)?

Also, did you ever feel that you experienced any kind of racism while in Munich and in Germany?

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It’s weird how those teens grasped that lesson much better than you did.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Others have mentioned examples.

But people with Black sounding names get fewer calls for job interviews. Blacks are more often misidentified as needing special Ed programs. They are under identified as qualifying for gifted programs. We can talk about the likelihood of being pulled over, harsher sentencing for the same crimes as whites. Less likely to get to get jobs with same resume and experience, less likely to get promoted despite the same performance records.

All of those things are real.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My parents identify as ethnically Taiwanese. They didn't come here with a plan, but worked their butts off with what they had while knowing what the system was about.

Germans I frequented with were mostly hospitable though distant. As a customer, many were generous to me as an American tourist. I once had to get measurements for a wedding fitting, but with everything in metric, I had to get a tailor to do it. Normally you buy a suit to get fitted but the tailor waived it off. Little things like that make all the difference. People were eager to help me out, though many were curious why I didn't choose the UK instead.

I traveled around the English part of Germany though. Talked to the locals as much as I could. Some were candid about the immigrant situation where the main proxy for debate was the question of German-ness. Even after all this time, it was a very charged question and many were happy to agree (in English media at least) that as long as people spoke German, they could be considered one, much like how the US approached English only, though in its more earlier stages decades ago...

I do regret not visiting the Eastern half more, just didn't find the right opportunity.

Speaking about immigrants, this was when the Syrian refugee crisis went down, and you had trains full of nationless people starting to circulate around the EU. There was enthusiasm for supporting Merkel's decision for accepting them, like what Houston did for Katrina's displaced groups, but months in, you could tell how unprepared government was outside of immediate services in designated refugee camps. Western Europe has strict employment standards, like favoring a citizen over an immigrant, but with refugees, good luck giving them papers to start a normal life there. I don't think that was explicit racism, but it's a huge stress test against humanitarian ideals.

I think it would've be different if I was a rude non-English speaking yokel, which was a different problem across Europe, and probably a different topic.

That time was likely the tail-end to a golden age of travel. Later when I was roaming around Europe, Paris went through its horrific attacks. I enjoyed the hell out of Turkey and you know how that turned out shortly after.

I guess I took advantage of American privilege that that morbidly obese bunker baby has long used up...

#20 Invisible Fan, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Rileydog, RayRay10 and AroundTheWorld like this.