1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toaster Ovens

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, May 4, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, the 20% coupon is always there with them (it's why I love Bed, Bath, and Beyond), so that's pretty much regular price with them, I think. If you're like me, you probably only need the $60-$70 model, and even if that dies in a year, you can buy 4 more of them for a total of 5 in the next 5 years. But, of course, if you're a single nerd like me, you'll probably get the Breville because it looks cool (but may still die within a year or two). I'm betting it cooks food better, though. It's almost a crapshoot with some of these ovens.

One thing I would recommend is to make sure whatever you're used to cooking in your old toaster can still fit in the new one. For example, people owning a large Cuisinart had pans/pizza stones that didn't fit into a new Breville or Panasonic they bought because those were smaller. So they had to go buy new cookware for the new toaster. Make sure you know the internal dimensions. If the old B&D was a small toaster oven, you may not have a problem.

If you get the non-air fryer Breville, some of their models didn't have a light (the $300+ ones you're looking at do, if I recall). That may be important to you since many people don't want to open the oven to see how done their food is. You would think for that price, they could've put a damn light bulb in there. :D Also, make sure the one you're paying $399 for is the BOV900 model. There's another one that is similarly-named, but a different model number (I believe it's older) and is about $50 less. The BOV900 model is the one that does go on sale here and there for around $280 throughout the year, but the last time I saw it was during Black Friday at various stores.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The Breville model I'm looking at does have a light. And, yes, I was always kind of annoyed when trying to check my food in my other broke oven and it had no light.

My main issue in trying to find a toaster oven is the cheaper ones aren't readily available except online and the ship times are atrocious. I would have to wait a minimum of 11 days on these other cheaper models I'm looking at from everywhere I've looked and with no store stock available (versus same day or two day with Breville). I don't think I can go 11 days without a working oven. lol. I mean...I could...but I'm not eating out and doing all my own cooking.

I'm presently waiting on my coupon but I am strongly leaning to taking a chance on the Breville and it would come out to around $224 before tax with coupon applied.

I don't necessarily want a more expensive oven but I guess I'm trusting the reviews, am looking for quick turnaround, and need some extra space for like a 9" x 13" pan and 12" pizza. At the end of the day, I need it to turn on and cook. This stuff about even cooking and smart oven modes is kind of hokey imo. I don't recall complaining about uneven cooks before and I don't need a cookie or pizza mode to make cookies or pizza.

It is what it is.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Which Breville model are you getting for $224? If it's the BOV900, let me know where! :D

Yeah, I didn't now they were delayed in shipping that long, but if you need it that quickly, then you need it that quickly. I've been looking for a toaster oven for a year or so. LOL. I'm not in a rush. I had a Cuisinart I used from around 2005-2014 before it died and I just never replaced it since I only used it maybe once a week. And I hear you on the rest of the stuff. I was hoping to get an air fryer/toaster oven combo but when I decided on the BOV900, it had gone up to $499 or something. At that point, I wasn't going to buy it. Go for it and come back and let us know what you think. I may still end up getting one eventually.

4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I've had a couple Brevilles. The first one lost the back light for the display but kept working. This one's been going strong now for several years. We use it to bake nearly everything in. Just used it tonight in fact.

They are outrageously expensive. I mean, you can buy a free standing oven and range for not that much more. But it's very handy.

It seems there are some other nice toaster ovens out there these days that you might check out too.

5. Surfguy

Bah...the 20% discount doesn't work with Breville. I guess I'm not getting one. I guess I'll go cheap.

Thinking about going with a cheaper Oster as their cooking temps are touted as being pretty accurate.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Check out Cuisinart. Their upper-end ones are priced cheaper than the Brevilles and most reviews say they're "almost as good", but they're the only ones I saw when I was looking at reviews that consistently either came ahead or just behind the Brevilles. It was usually 1-2 with Breville and Cuisinart. The stupidest thing I read about them was that the lettering sometimes rubs off on them or something, but I don't know if that was early-production models or they still do it. A couple of them are about as big as a Volkswagen from what I remember reading, though, so again... make sure the thing fits wherever you're going to put it.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is the Cuisinart TOA-60 for $85. Somebody posted the website on slickdeals. Looks iffy though

https://tfgmart.live/cuisinart-toa-60-convection-toaster-air-fryer-one-size-silver/
    Ive had mine over a year and the air fryer all in one feature has taken the place of my Ninja air fryer.

8. Surfguy

Yea...looks like a potential scam. Price is too good to be true imo. And, the site is pretty new with no reviews.

Overall, how do you like your TOA-60? I've read a lot of reviews on it. Most seem good. Aside from air frying, does it bake and do its other functions well? Any issues with temperatures and cook times being off to what you expect? Also, will it fit a decent size casserole pan like a 9" x 13" and a typical large frozen pizza? Unfortunately, my BBY coupon won't work on this item, either. lol

I would consider paying full price on this one if it is good. The consensus seems to indicate it's good to great.

I found this one naysayer that gave me pause when his review stated:

Also, others say the thermostat is completely whack...like it is not accurate to the actual temperature setting you set. Not sure if these are lemons or this is a real problem with this unit? It seems to only have "convection bake" mode versus just a "bake" mode. So, if I had a frozen dinner or recipe that said "bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes", then I could potentially come back to a burnt entrée? Or, would it be accurate to the recommended temp and cook time? The last thing I need is an oven I have to continually check to make sure it's not burning my food because it doesn't cook according to stated directions. lol

#28 Surfguy, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I cant speak on the Cuisinart. I have the Oster I posted in the second post. That thing is big (13" x 12.5" x 9") internally and that thing does everything for me. It has replaced the Ninja Air fryer and B&D toaster I was using before. All temps were fine to me. I roasted some chicken thighs in it the other night and 25 mins later, I had moist, juicy meat with a crispy skin on top.

10. Surfguy

So, right now...I'm still undecided and am playing a waiting game hoping a good Breville goes on sale or something. I've decided to use my gas grill as the oven and my stove for some dishes. For example, I made a cornbread chili casserole last night on my stove of which I would normally do in the oven. It turned out great albeit you don't get the browning on top.

If you see any really good sale deals browsing around the retail internet sites, then I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread. I will update if I do pull the trigger on one.

11. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

You'll never know you needed one until you have one.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A lot of people use these for sous vide steaks, too, although I don't have one ... yet.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. Buck Turgidson

I cast iron or grill all my sous vide meat, but the absolute game changer with one of those is roasted peppers. Takes about 30 seconds to char one, then you put them in a ziploc for a few minutes to steam, then you get a paper towel and rub off the black stuff.

Also, stuffed jalapenos. Cut em in half lengthwise, stuff with whatever, put a slice of bacon on top, put em on the grill. Grill cooks them from the bottom, torch cooks the bacon on top.

16. Buck Turgidson

17. droxford

droxford Member

I have used toaster ovens for many years and never had one die.

I got a Breville for Christmas 2019 and I must say it is truly magnificent.

I also own an air fryer that almost never gets used.

18. Surfguy

So, I was visiting the parents yesterday and noticed my brother had bought them the $279 Breville model that I wanted to get and was hoping would go on-sale coming up. I told him how I didn’t have a working oven and was trying to apply that 20% coupon to this model on BB&Y and it didn’t work. Turns out he is a paid member there. So, without my knowledge, he goes online and buys the oven for me able to get his membership discount. I’m getting it this afternoon. Then, he is telling me he is giving it to me as a gift for taking my senior parents’ dog and taking care of it because they no longer are able to as Dad has pretty bad Alzheimer’s and Mom has a slew of her own health problems. I wish all of you had a big brother as generous as mine. I still don’t feel right about it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It all comes full circle. Toaster Oven was made in China, you get one for taking in a dog, people in China eat dogs.

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson and Surfguy like this.
  20. Surfguy

And, someone in Wuhan got dog meat from a dog that ate a bad piece of fruit dropped from a disease carrying bat that was gnawing on it and this someone got infected with Covid-19 because they undercooked the meat in this same Breville model. It’s a small world. ;)