1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toaster Ovens

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, May 4, 2020.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Why is it so hard to make a toaster oven that actually lasts more than a year or two?

If you are one who has had a toaster oven for years, then you are fortunate that you got a keeper and/or you just don't use it that much to where it has become a piece of garbage for the landfill.

I would guess that landfills are chuck full of these things. And, that's just freaking sad to me.

Yes, my stupid KitchenAid broke down. It maybe lasted a few years. The Bake/Broil/Toast/Warm knob just started flaking and then eventually stopped working altogether. You also can't just fix these things because they don't offer the internal parts from what I see because these toaster ovens are made to be hot garbage so just buy a new one when one dies. The heating elements are fine. It would work perfectly fine save for the stupid piece that broke that you can't get.

This is the kind of sh_t I hate society for. A dumbass product like a toaster oven that never lasts and clogs our landfills.

That said...I'm open to suggestions on a new toaster oven. I'm thinking I should just buy the cheapest piece of crap around that fits the pans I want to fit in it because, well, it won't last long anyway. And, there is ten million choices out there. This is worse than picking out a new car.

#$%^!

tinman and donkeypunch like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We live a throw away society. Sad but it is what it is. Things just cost less to reproduce and replace than it does to fix.

My suggestion would be the 22L Oster Air Fryer/Toaster Oven. Its an all in one, a lot of room (its huge for a toaster oven) and does everything. I use it more than any other appliance. They go on sale for like $80 from time to time but are hardly every in stock, even at full price at the moment. I 100% recommend it, if you can snag one. Im trying to get one for my parents, but looking at the Best Buy link, they mightve discontinued it. Dang.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Black-Countertop-Toaster-Oven-with-Air-Fryer/683381864

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/oster-air-fryer-toaster-oven-black/6355880.p?skuId=6355880

Invisible Fan and Surfguy like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

rip toaster oven.

I've had mine for several years now, it's an older model, but still going strong. i use it almost everyday, even for things that don't really need heating.

Surfguy likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

This is the one I've got (Breville Smart Oven), it's awesome.

FrontRunner and Surfguy like this.
  5. Surfguy

Is it the one with or without the air fryer? I've noticed about a $75 price difference. The air fryer better be worth it for $75.

I think part of a purchase like this is just sheer dumb luck on which one you get and whether the build is quality. I've read reviews from people who have gone through multiple Brevilles in a year or two...and that shouldn't happen for those prices. But, those are the lemon cornholio folks I imagine.

6. Buck Turgidson

No air fryer. Mine's over 2 years old and gets used just about every day.

7. Surfguy

I'm thinking hard about it. $329 is a lot for a toaster oven. My regular in-wall oven is broke as well. lol. That's a good chunk of change to just replace the in-wall oven with.

I have an oven problem. They don't like me. And, I don't like them. :)

I think I might try to cook a frozen pizza on my stove top. I guess I should thaw it first. lol

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

At the end of that video they've got a value option that they liked, don't remember which one it is.

Here's Consumer Reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/toaster-ovens/best-toaster-ovens-from-consumer-reports-tests/

Surfguy likes this.
  9. Surfguy

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I researched them a while back and decided not to buy one for now. I almost bought the Breville with the air fryer a while back, but that thing has since gone up like $100-$200 in price since those tariffs went into effect. You used to be able to get it for just over $300, I think. Now it's $399 or so. It had gone up to $499 a few months ago on Amazon. If you have patience it goes on sale with or without coupon at places like Bed Bath & Beyond or Amazon for $280 or less.

The other thing to watch out for some of these is the air fryer doesn't perform as well as dedicated air fryer in most cases and with Breville, you're also paying a lot for the name although it's a good product. Other toaster ovens may perform just as well for the average guy. Also, make sure you know how big the one you're buying is. Some of these things are tanks, while others don't have as much interior space as you may think, and others give you more accessories like maybe a pizza stone or trays, etc.

I had a friend buy a Cuisinart and send it back within a few days because the air fryer in that model sucked. Other people think it's great. Some people love the Breville while others say the glass explodes. lol.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Air Fryer >> Toaster Oven

Get a big Air Fryer.

If you guys already suggested an Air Fryer, awesome! I didn't read it.

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I have the breville with the air fryer, and we love it. I will say that the air fryer function is probably not as good as a “true” air fryer.....it’s more like a turbo charged convection oven. But you can get close to true air fryer functionality if you place your food on a lifted rack. We use it everyday (my eleven year old loves it), and we’ve had it for a few years. Seems sturdy and looks quality on counter, but it is in the more expensive side. Friends and relatives who have visited enjoyed it enough to buy their own. Your mileage may vary of course, but I recommend it.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Years ago when I was having a problem with our in-wall oven we bought a Breville convection toaster oven. A bit more expensive, but it was a bit larger than most. And it was a life saver while I waited for the parts to repair the wall oven. Still use it all the time in our current house... it takes less time and less energy to cook things.

14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The Deluxe Munsey

These are not made any more...but if you dig around enough, you'll find a refurb at a decent price. My mom still has her original toaster oven and it is still kicking at 50 years old. She thought so highly of these that she dug around and found three refurbs, bought them and gave them to me and my sisters. We use ours to this day...and it works tons better than a newer toaster that we bought a few years ago. It's not much to look at...but for quality and longevity...there's nothing on the market that can beat it.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ours looks like it’s straight out of ‘78, with this burnt harvest gold cover. My wife then tells me it’s relatively new (2013ish), she just cooked something and a bag of bread was on top of the toaster oven and melted all over it. No brand at all so no clue.

16. Buck Turgidson

btw...thanks for the inspiration @Surfguy, I'm whipping up a batch of buttermilk biscuits for lunch today.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

panasonic infrared toaster oven is the best but it's kind of ugly. We had for almost 10 years and used it daily.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If I had one, I'd be hosting Kahn's Deli Reuben parties, reproducing the King of Reubens, which we put through a pizza-oven conveyor belt ... well before Quiznos went nation-wide with their toasted sandwich process. (Maybe even buy a jet steamer, another key appliance of the Kahn's Way!)

After that, I wouldn't know what to do with one, other than become annoyed with how much counter space it's taking up. Then again, if I had kids, I'd probably love one.

19. Surfguy

I think I can get the Breville air fryer $399 model for $319 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond if I sign up for mobile alerts for the 20%off coupon. The model without the air fryer is $279 but, of course, they don’t have that model. I’m torn at the moment between splurging on one or going for the $60 - $70 basic model. I hate this. I need an oven.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. I've got a Black and Decker and it's lasted 5 years and still going strong. I use it pretty much daily.