1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

calvin murphy says he doesnt particularly like the nba game today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim petersen84, May 3, 2020.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Ball handling has gotten better, but the iso dribble dribble dribble of the 2ks is kind of returning with the Harden's of the world. Quick in the box handles were always the most fun to watch like Isiah, Tim, and now Kyrie and Curry. Watching Francis or Harden dance around for most of the shot clock and now just stepping back and chucking a 3 is not pretty basketball. Glad the crossover carry is not around as much as Iverson, Kobe used to do it in the 2ks, but i'm starting to see that go uncalled a lot with guys like KD for example. That freedom of kind of cupping the ball(including more lax freedom of sliding feet) may create opportunity to embarrass a defender, but i prefer the tight and controlled and legal/fundamental handles of Tim Hardaway for example.

fchowd0311 and cheke64 like this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

I don't want to see an NBA full of Antoine Walker's shooting 10 3's a game.

Every sports league is a copy cat league. I get that. Everyone want's to copy the blue print to winning. But, if you don't have Curry and Klay on your team, do something else to your own strengths.

Watching Ibaka go from nearly 4 blocks per game and zero 3s a season and plays like this in the NBA Finals
    [​IMG]
    to now just camping behind the 3pt line on O and defending the 3 on the perimeter is lame af.

kjayp and tinman like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

1 huge negative to dominant bigs in the post of the past, is filling out the team with 2 or 3 stiffs who are just big bodies to give and take fouls/beatings against opposing HOF C/PF's. That sucks too. If you don't have Shaq. Then, i'd like to see a counter with a smaller, quicker, floor stretching guy, instead of just some random guy who happens to be 7'0 and heavy just to get humiliated by Shaq anyway. So goes both ways as far as if you don't have a dominant 3pt shooter(s).

D-rock likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The other issue is that it's not camping out at the 3 point line

it's people jacking it up 10 feet away from the 3 point line.
    This was usually done during desperation , time running out situations back in the day

now it's done to attempt to show off your range, which is bad basketball

kjayp and Caesar like this.
  5. swakid8

swakid8 Member

I agree with this take. Gone are the days of physical matchups. It was fun watching the knicks, heat, bulls, magic, go at each other with physical play. League was a lot more balance with star distribution (slowing returning that direction). I also miss the days where both conferences were strong.

kjayp likes this.
  6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I kind of doubt it. The reason we're at this point today is because NBA GM's learned to respect simple math... that a 3 > 2. IMO, nothing will reverse the trajectory we are currently on. If anything, I wonder if the future pushes 3-pointers to any even further extreme. Today, Rockets leading the pack by shooting just over 50% of their shots beyond the arc... if it is truly more efficient, why wouldn't we see this shoot up to the 70-80% range over time?

I miss a more balanced style as well... I haven't heard any talk of this being a real near-term possibility, but if the NBA wants to slow or reverse the course, they'll need to seriously consider pushing the line back / eliminating the corners. I don't know if eliminating the corners is the answer, as spacing would regress considerably.

D-rock likes this.
  7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Probably only you imo

8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Knicks signed DeAndre Jordan who was supposed to be dominate in the paint. This move was counter to Joel embiid and giannis!

Knicks tried to go with youth by signing randle from Kentucky.

Hasan Whiteside left east, yet Knicks might have to go for Carmelo Anthony.

Aaron Gordon only dude doing something in the east for Orlando in addition to siakkum the world champion!

God speed nba and worldwide!

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The math that you left out was shooting %. 3's at 33% is the same as 2's at 50%. Can you imagine someone with Hakeem's skills in todays game facing single coverage all game long, given everyone else is hovering around the 3 point line? A inside big who can shoot 60% in the paint is just as good as the best 3 point shooters.

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There are problems with this logic.
    1. Big Men are less skilled on offense than they have been in the past 40yrs.
    2. Guards can't pass into the post so most bigs don't bother to learn post moves and positioning because they can't get the ball this way.
    3. Bigs and modern offenses don't know how to get them shots so they end up camped behind the 3 point line and they either sink or swim.

D-rock likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Because there are not any Olajuwon's, Shaq's or Robinson's in the NBA right doesn't point to a flaw in my logic. It points to a flaw in big man development in the NBA today.

D-rock likes this.
  12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Cant blame nba rules committee or the referees.

Drummond won a national championship with Connecticut yet has not won a nba playoff series.

Don't kemba walker won a playoff series.

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

This might be a result of the players not staying in college and getting that development they did in past eras. NBA teams can't develop players because they have very little practice time.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This. When seeing Steph Curry use trick handles, unlike Harden, Steph isn't stationary and doesn't have repetitive movements. His handles are far less predictable and fluid. Curry doesn't have a patented "step back" because he shoots in 20 different ways unlike Harden now who has like one dribble stance and shot motion he repeats over and over.

I think Kyrie and Curry have the best handles of all time.

Caesar likes this.
  15. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Calvin Murphy is talking about the east because Durant has done his job in the west conference.

Kawhi leonard sat out a season and got finals mvp the following season in the east! Leonard had a first year coach and nick nurse is really good.

I would put Kyle lowry slightly ahead of Irving.
    Giannis, kawhi leonard, and embiid give you 90s type stuff. That's about close to 1990s as you can get.

#55 smoothie_king, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  16. conquistador#11

When the Rockets are eliminated I stop watching, the exceptions dallas v Miami finals and last year's finals.
    As a kid, I had Penny Hardaway heaven cent posters in my room even Big Country Reeves. .
    I really don't like the teen wolf iso game. It's not for me. Hakeem touched the bol every possession but the bol was always moving. And when Sam was massaging a bit much, Hakeem would let Rudy know. The math that 3>2 doesn't work if your team has bad 3 point shooters, Bill.
    [​IMG]

3Rings likes this.
  17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL Harden gets the away with the most offensive fouls ever

18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Drexler showed a mutha-phucker how to fill the lane.

Drexler showed how to run the floor even with your down.

I'm sure Calvin Murphy approves.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He is obviously not as good as Curry. Even if you take away Curry's 3pt shot, Curry still shoots a higher percentage on 2pt FGs. And Murphy eve loses at the FT line, albeit only slightly.

But I often wonder if Calvin played in today's NBA, would he develop a great 3pt shot? He would definitely be capable, as good a shooter as he was.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed. The only way to change how the game is played is change the rules. They've done it before. They might do it if the game becomes too ugly.