1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AMC/Regal Theaters bans Universal movies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Apr 30, 2020.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

AMC Theatres Refuses to Play Universal Films in Wake of 'Trolls: World Tour'

Short story is that Universal has decided to do more PVOD on the same day as theatrical releases based on the success of "Trolls World Tour" and AMC is pissed. Regal Theaters have also banned Universal movies.

Seems like this was something that was coming at some point regardless of the current situation. I'm having trouble feeling bad for the theaters. I'd prefer watching in the comfort of my own home without the $20 popcorn and $15 soda. There definitely are movies that need to be seen on the big screen but this is the way things were going to go eventually, IMO.

arkoe, FrontRunner and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Theaters have had a chance to evolve over the years... and have failed to do so despite plenty of money invested in digital formats, larger screens, stadium seating, better sound, and 3D technology. The dining movie theaters also haven't been able to figure out how to provide quality fare and do it in a totally non-distracting way. The only thing they really had going for them was exclusivity of early releases.

In the end, home theaters/television technology has advanced faster and become more widespread than what movie theaters can do. On-demand/internet can deliver content and collect money instantly.

Now what I wasn't a fan of was when I found out my kid ordered Trolls World Tour... and it was $20 for the rental. Then again, the cost of a family of 5 going to a movie (or if you go with your spouse, the cost of a baby sitter) does exceed that, so in the end it was rationalized.

Ziggy, FrontRunner and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This will end badly for the theaters -- traditional theaters seemed to be on a long downward trend anyway. I can't even remember the last time I went to a movie that wasn't at a premium location (dinner/ alcohol).

4. leroy

Same. Ever since I started going to Alamo Drafthouse years and years ago, regular theaters just don't do it for me anymore. I was looking forward to the expansion of Flix Brewhouse...a theater that started in Round Rock that has it's own brewery and kitchen (location #2 is scheduled for Sugar Land I beleive). I'm not the biggest movie buff as it is so having newly released movies available at home is cool with me.

If the production companies all start deciding to go this route, what are the theaters going to do? Not show movies? They're going to have to do something to evolve and quick because this is happening.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree this will end badly for the theaters. They are swimming upstream on this one as home entertainment improves. The cinema might go the way of Opera. It will still be around as a gourmet cultural experience but never command the same following it once did.

Nick likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I prefer watching movies at home anyways...I have a projector, good sound system, don’t have to sneak in any food, don’t have to worry about people talking, kids that won’t stfu, babies crying, etc

main reason I go to the movie theater is so I don’t have to wait months for a movie to be available as a rental, and that’s only for certain movies like an Avenger’s Endgame...most movies I can just wait on

I won’t be going to a movie theater for a long time...this virus has changed everything

Movie theaters are already dirty AF to begin with, but now I gotta worry about catching some highly contagious virus too? I may have to sit down for maybe 2 hours with a mask on to watch a movie? Nah, I’m good...

the same thing applies to the gym...I bought equipment for a home gym about a week before lockdowns started and businesses closed, and I honestly can’t complain...I might buy a few machines later on, and I need some heavier weights which I haven’t been able to get since dumbbells have been out of stock across America for weeks, but when I do, I think I’ll be good...I’d only need a gym to hoop, but working out at home has been pretty nice...I’m wondering why I never thought to set up a home gym before

#6 Reeko, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    malakas and arkoe like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But its not like people started having opera performers come to their house... and that's why it went away.... at least I don't 'think' that happened... I could be wrong!

Drive-ins went away and evolved to multi-plex theaters that can show more than one movie. Then those evolved to stadium-seating/high fidelity sound... along with mega-multi-plex that could show tons of movies. Then that evolved to dining/luxury/alcohol options at movies. Not sure where they have left to go...

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Opera didn't come to your house but with movies the live entertainment of opera could be endlessly recreated and shown in many places. Touring Opera companies were out of business when people could just watch a movie of Enrico Caruso. Technology killed opera, live play, and live musicals. Those still exist but nothing like they did prior to movies. Technology is now killing he cinema. You're right I'm not sure where they go. I think it will survive on small scale as boutique theaters like Alamo but the days of the Megaplex might be done.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They played around with the concept of smell/aroma in theaters before, thats the only thing I could I think of that would create a draw and even that would be a time away, as companies still need to develop it fully and moviegoers arent in any kind of mindset to go back anytime soon.

10. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

My wife and I cut back on movies out after the Aurora, Colorado shooting. She feels the strongest about it, but I still can't go into one now without planning out my escape route, etc. We still go when it's less busy, but we're a lot more selective about what we see.

If the theaters hired real security, instead of just handing a heavyset kid a flashlight, they might bring in more people like us that are looking for a safe way to enjoy themselves.

Hollywood needs to make better movies too. I love a good action movie, but one mindless sequel after another? Pass. Give me something fresh and imaginative. Preferably something that makes audiences think a little.

#10 FrontRunner, Apr 30, 2020
    daywalker02 likes this.
  11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I still always prefer to see a movie in a theater. I like the experience

12. what

what Member

Yall sound like a lot of "get off my lawn" old geezers.
    Young people aren't going to be at home on a Friday night. They are going to the theater.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. leroy

And if they don't actually have any movies to show because they banned all of the movie companies, you'll still be going to the theater?

Sajan likes this.
  14. Pringles

Pringles Member

From what I've heard AMC is in big financial trouble. Friends on the PE side have been telling me they were one of the first ones to immediately call looking for cash around the time America's economy was halted.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why is the position of AMC v Universal becoming a theatre vs PVOD (home theater) debate? What they are arguing over is release dates.

Home Theater via blue-ray and now PVOD has been around for a long time. But, the release dates have always been staggered. Universal is challenging that equilibrium, and AMC is standing its ground.

fwiw: my take on this is Universal is merely looking at a very bad profits year, and they have to cut into AMC’s profits by ignoring release date equilibrium. If this (no longer staggering release dates) lasts forever, then they have visions not so much to challenge AMC, but to challenge Netflix, etc...and probably put out their own channel (like Disney+) with their money grab against AMC.​

Non movie-goers have always been fine with waiting on releases. Are y'all now saying you are demanding not to wait a month or two on blue-ray or PVOD releases? Because that's the only argument between AMC and Universal here, it seems.

why threaten (if not kill) an industry of theaters as an option (an option which is also BY FAR the best way to see some movies, not to mention one of the cheapest Date Night options), just so you no longer have a delay in release dates?

#15 heypartner, Apr 30, 2020
    Gabe0941 and Deckard like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

There is a slight downward trend over time in ticket sales, it's true, but I think any pronouncements of industry demise are overstated.

[​IMG]

(I know we're missing some years there, but I think it's informative data.)

Historically, the end of theater movies has been predicted off an on for a long time, with home televisions in the mid-20th century, then with HBO and Showtime in the 1980's, and so on. For me it boils down to one basic thing. Humans mostly like to go have events outside the home from time to time. Some options, like sports, have become prohibitively expensive and inconvenient. Going to a movie for a date night or something is still one of those options, like going out to eat, that is available and diverting without breaking the home checking account. I for one love walking to our local Alamo Drafthouse for a date with Mrs. B-Bob.

It will keep slipping a bit in total ticket sales, but the industry will probably be around for a while. (This is assuming we eventually have a COVID vaccine or similar.)

Deckard and heypartner like this.
  17. what

what Member

With the new bbox seats I have been seeing more movies at the theater lately myself. I love those seats, to be honest. I just don't care for a lot of films lately, but I've seen a few of them.
    The last star wars film in bbox was a fun flick.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Disney made what? 7 Billion dollar films last year

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That was a one off event. Do you also hesitate going into Walmart, concerts and bars as well?

Pringles likes this.
  20. Pringles

Pringles Member

I do think some of the more traditional movie theaters operators (AMC, Cinemark) are possibly in trouble. Newer chains (Alamo Drafthouse, Studio Movie Grill) have definitely taken a market share int hat industry, and there's really not much the older chains can do about their high fixed costs (rent). If I recall correctly, AMC had to take a big loan last year to keep afloard, and this was before way before the coranvirus pandemic.