1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bad short-term news if this leaked news is “final” and true :

Data on Gilead’s remdesivir, released by accident, show no benefit for coronavirus patients. Company still sees reason for hope

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/23...ent-show-no-benefit-for-coronavirus-patients/

*EDIT* : Remdesivir's immediate response is also in the article, btw. Also keep in mind there are other studies going on out there and these patients were apparently in bad shape, so as Gilead's response states, once the data all comes in, it could be it proves Remdesivir is more helpful for patients early in the infection as opposed to later.

#6681 Dr of Dunk, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    CCity Zero, Hakeemtheking and malakas like this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

I will wait for Solidarity before I lose hope.

For chloroqinue and remdesivir. They said results will come in May/June.
    Now it is already end of April. They cant be that far off. At least we will hear some preliminary data.

And I loked into the French data about nicotine. The diference is just TOO significant. It can't be a fluke.
    There are like 3 theoritical ways that nicotine or another substance in tobacco could hinder the virus.

Might also play in role in Sweden's mortality and infection if it is so, since a significant part of the population chews tobacco.

Mazulis and CCity Zero like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

That's just crazy and contradicts every single study done worldwide.
    When only one place and study is dfferent than everywhere else...it's more likely that there is something wrong with that hospital/ study.

Mazulis, CCity Zero and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You guys get 99? I’m usually at 95-96 when I'm resting. I can only get it to 99-100 when I do breathing exercises.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Avg error margin of 2-3%, and I'd bet that underestimates me and you and Joe Schmo using the devices.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

There are a bunch of issues with this release:

1. Its from an incomplete, so statistically non-useable study.
    2. It only focused on the really, really sick.
    3. Its from China.
    4. Its not peer reviewed.

I HATE that we (and the media) are nitpicking every tiny study one way or the other. We are getting non-scientists extrapolating scientific results in the media. Wait for the big University or Government run studies to be published.

On the drug itself, nothing has been proven one way or the other. I didn't trust the earlier leak with good results, and I don't trust this leak either. There is way more fighting and politics in science than people think.

malakas, Mazulis, CCity Zero and 3 others like this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Mine is 99. My SO's is 98. What's a trip is that I've had a much crazier life than she has, at least until she met me. Go figure.

mikol13, CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One of my favorite news sources is the BBC and I found a new article there that I thought was very interesting, @B-Bob, even exciting. Today, the trial of a Covid-19 vaccine has begun in Oxford, in the UK, that will involve 800+ people, half getting the vaccine, half getting a vaccine to protect against Meningitis. In other words, this is a serious trial. The team has already developed a vaccine for Mers, another Coronavirus I know you’ve heard about, that had “promising results.” Much of the story is below, and the rest at the link:

Coronavirus: First patients injected in UK vaccine trial
    The first human trial in Europe of a coronavirus vaccine has begun in Oxford.

Two volunteers were injected, the first of more than 800 people recruited for the study.

Half will receive the Covid-19 vaccine, and half a control vaccine which protects against meningitis but not coronavirus.

The design of the trial means volunteers will not know which vaccine they are getting, though doctors will.

Elisa Granato, one of the two who received the jab, told the BBC: "I'm a scientist, so I wanted to try to support the scientific process wherever I can."

The vaccine was developed in under three months by a team at Oxford University. Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at the Jenner Institute, led the pre-clinical research.

"Personally I have a high degree of confidence in this vaccine," she said.

"Of course, we have to test it and get data from humans. We have to demonstrate it actually works and stops people getting infected with coronavirus before using the vaccine in the wider population."

Prof Gilbert previously said she was "80% confident" the vaccine would work, but now prefers not to put a figure on it, saying simply she is "very optimistic" about its chances.

So how does the vaccine work? The vaccine is made from a weakened version of a common cold virus (known as an adenovirus) from chimpanzees that has been modified so it cannot grow in humans.

[​IMG]

The Oxford team has already developed a vaccine against Mers, another type of coronavirus, using the same approach - and that had promising results in clinical trials.

More at the link:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52394485?

#6689 Deckard, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

11. what

what Member

Lol, he can't win - it seems like a political stunt. Maybe he should try the seatbelt law next.
    And that reminds me, I don't remember this much mugslinging when we were forced to wear seatbelts. I do remember people not wanting to abide by the rule.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I was in High School and it was pretty much an overwhelming 'OK, it's dumb not to' response.

Deckard, CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Social media has empowered the stupidest and loudest. Those voices used to be marginalized and ignored - no echo chambers available.

We are well past Idiocracy in many ways.

Richie_Rich, Deckard, Nook and 3 others like this.
  14. what

what Member

Yeah, I was in highschool too and I remember immediately abiding by the rule.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

so you were driving a car equipped with seatbelts, didn't wear them until it was the law, and are now calling other people dumb?

16. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Altria Group stock is about to pop is the nicotine/tobacco theory is true. Swedish snus is no joke. I don't smoke so my nicotine tolerance is zilch, and my Swedish coworker got me to try some while grabbing beers and after a few minutes, I couldn't feel my face. I had to spit out the snus bag cuz my mouth was on fire and I was going to pass out and throw up at the same time because it was so strong (22m/g).

That being said, I personally don't believe the nicotine resistance theory because men in China smoke like American cowboys in the 1960s.

malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice! Glad it finally came in and results were good!

Deckard and malakas like this.
  18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I ordered one too on Ebay last week but got it for $15. Got it yesterday. Good thing to have imo.

I get my Covid test tomorrow but it's a blood test as some swab tests are taking up to 2 weeks to get results. Blood test through Quest is 3 business days. Don't really care if I have it. If I do it's mild and I can still smell and taste. There's a Whataburger across the street from it so ima grub down a bacon egg taquito. No idea why this isn't an all day menu thing. I dream about these.

Deckard and CCity Zero like this.
  19. what

what Member

To the seatbelt comment: pretty much. It actually became a law my first year of driving, I believe. So around 1986. I believe the law went into effect in 85, but it wasn't being enforced. Then, if I remember correctly, they began saying if you don't wear them, you will be fined, so I started wearing them.
    I was 16.
    So, yeah.
    Also, as far as the other comment goes, my specific response was that I don't remember this much mugslinging when people were required to wear seatbelts.
    As for the idiots that are acting like not being able to go to th park, is somehow their rosa parks moment: and making I have a dream speeches, they look plum foolish to me. You aren't marginalizes karen, get over yourself.
    If they had one ounce of what true marginalization is, they'd shut the hell up.
    And you can hear it when the b**** got handcuffed: that chick nearly lost her ****.
    It pisses me off that these privileged entitled idiots act like they have a cause.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So now they're saying the death rate is .25 of 1% and the Flu averages 3-4%? The health white house dude just said that on MSNBC.