1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is OnLive a real threat to gaming consoles ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This is the most confusing time ever to enter into the current generation of gaming. :confused:

I see OnLive working nicely for game rentals and demos. I see it being another option along with consoles and portable gaming devices. I dont think it has to be 1 or the other. Or in the future you'll sign onto something like NintendoLive.com Or SonyPSLive.com to play games branded in their own image.

There's gonna be a dedicated base that wants to own the physical game, instead of wanting to go into the computer cloud every time.

2. VanityHalfBlack

Labor Day Sale! September 3-6, 50% off on the hottest game!!!

Founding members online program, Free 1 year onlive offer!!!

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I forgot to try this out. How is working for those of you using the service?

4. VanityHalfBlack

I enjoy the service, you still have to pay for the games though which sucks since you're already paying for the subscription but since I'm getting 1 year free service now, I'm not complaining.. I bought my Unreal tournament 3 full pass, cost me 10 bucks... If anyone has the service add me I'm Buster_Mustard...

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Looks like they're dropping the monthly subscription fee:
    http://blog.onlive.com/2010/10/04/onlive-just-play-for-free/

6. Nero

Nero Member

I don't understand how they can continue to tout this thing as offering gameplay and demos from consoles. It's simply not true. Just because a title may span both consoles and PC's, playing a PC demo version of a game is not in any way comparable to playing the same game on a console; in fact it's worse because they try to force you to use a console-type gamepad to play PC-based games, which were almost never designed to be used with a gamepad, but rather a keyboard and mouse.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1 person likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are people using this service? I have a good friend working there, and was wondering if their model would work.

DD

9. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

don't know about tablet but i played some demos on my pc through onlive and the quality can't compare to the real things.

I have the full version of Batman:AC on my pc and it look 100X times better than the demo version from onlive. Same with the other games.

10. liljojo

liljojo Member

True, but history says that people prefer convenience to quality.

11. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

FYI, you get free Lego Batman if you download their app.
    I'm still trying to get my PS3 controller to work properly thru my touchpad. Analog stick works, but buttons do not...

12. RC Cola

I checked out the Android app a bit. Seemed to work very well (at least on T-Mobile's 4G in Austin). Except for the controls anyway. I'll need to get a controller if I actually plan on playing much. My PC would play the games better (and probably be cheaper to buy from Steam, etc.), but might be fun to play around with it when I'm away from home. Just hope I don't hit my 5GB 4G cap with T-Mobile too soon. Really cool tech, and interesting to see where this might lead us.

Is there some way you're suppose to claim the Lego game? I don't think I ever got it for free. I ended up just starting a trial version of the game to test out the service...unless that was the "free"part.

13. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

You get an email you signed up for saying you have the game. Got mine no less than a few hours after I logged in.

1 person likes this.
  14. RC Cola

Yeah, I finally got the email. I signed up around 9AM, got the email at 2:30PM. Bit of a delay.

I was thinking 30-60 minutes tops, so after a few hours, I thought maybe I did something wrong.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Android app.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Cyanogenmod can port Android over to the Touchpad.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well a decade later it seems that cloud gaming has finally arrived in full force.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

And still just as bad from what I've seen... Like I think local games will work, but competive multiplayer isn't realistic. The latency hasn't been fixed in a decade.... I mean the ping/response time is pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago (especially if you had good Broadband back then (or access to it) and close to a server you were playing on (this is just direct gaming on a server from your pc/console, obviously streaming has improved with various methods and new compression). But until there's a direct AP like perhaps 5G cell tower that hosts it, this'll only be a glimpse of what it could and should be.

Unfortunately I expect Google to let this flop and wait for someone else to fix it. The only streaming I've seen work reliably is in home streaming from your pc to another device in your house. So on a good day, stadia will basically give you a future scenario that'll probably take another 5-10 years to work at a good level.

I mean Google has a great record of starting something and abandoning it, but they do get companies moving in the right direction. Like their failed gigabit project forced the industry to move forward finally in the US, at least in areas it was offered.

I'm definitely not against streaming but until it's a true 1:1 reaction I just don't see it taking over, except for single player games. I mean I think it'll probably be okay for some games but the early stuff I've seen the slow response time is a killer.

Andre0087 likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

If I get back into playing games online in pvp, I Hope everyone has a stadia... With how little I can even play lately I would need all the advantages I could get...

20. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I just signed up for the 2 free months of Stadia. What did you mean by "I hope everyone has a stadia"? Do you like it? I'm skeptical but for the price of free it's pretty hard to beat. Now I just need to find a controller I can plug into my Chromebook.