1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

To clarify, I was using Tamiflu in the super-broad sense of mitigating symptoms. It could be using plasma treatments or some form of that hydroxychloroquine or whatever. Basically, they need to find something that can be quickly and effectively administered to people seeing mild symptoms that prevent them from becoming major symptoms and prevent them from needing to be admitted to the hospital/ICU. It won't be perfect, but finding a way to make the disease "less scary" is a big key to some sort of new normal, and hopefully that comes long before the vaccine timeline. Without that, I'm not sure how you to get to any level of normalcy - the virus is far more spread today than a month ago (and now clearly all over the globe), so even if we have it "contained" with new cases being flat, the minute you open society, it would likely spread way faster than it was when we shut things down.

Hakeemtheking and Mazulis like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ironically there were remnant studies of a potential drug for SARS that could be used now......

Underdog: APN01 enzyme
    Perks: It would not have strong side effects.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...Trial-of-APN01-for-Treatment-of-COVID-19.html

You just have to look closer.......

malakas likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

A real protocol for treatment plus testing and contact tracing is a path forward once cases die down. We don't need to wait on a vaccine that might not offer great protection anyways.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pringles likes this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. Buck Turgidson

There is a great and more current article in TX Monthly that's not online yet, but I did find this:

https://wjla.com/news/spotlight-on-...navirus-vaccine-years-ago-but-couldnt-fund-it

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He is a top philanthropist. #2 ALL TIME. $25 Billion Dollars. That's 1/4 of his worth...And growing. You and I can't even understand what that kind of wealth is. You could have an Oprah 'everyone gets a free helicopter and zoo!' show and still be unimaginably rich.

He funds all sorts of research and human aid. No one currently does more.

Throw stones when you're giving more than 1/4 of your net worth away.

#6049 Xerobull, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I’m not up on recent findings of immunity from second infection, but isn’t your statement here saying immunity isn’t going to work? Is that the case now? If so, do we even have a chance at a vaccine working.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There isn't indication that it doesn't work, but you need to infect a lot of people to gain herd immunity. Of course how fast it spread depends on how much you open up and your ability to detect, trace and isolate.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So rolling shutdown of the economy is now a thing? It's just a catch headline. But 18M strategy... yea, that's would be prudent.

“We’re looking around the world. As they relax the economic controls, the virus flares back up again,” Kashkari said Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” Kashkari is a voter in 2020 on the Fed’s policy-setting Federal Open Market Committee.

“We could have these waves of flareups, controls, flareups and controls until we actually get a therapy or a vaccine. I think we should all be focusing on an 18-month strategy for our health care system and our economy.”

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's pretty much what Thomas Pueyo described in his "Hammer and the Dance" article.

14. Major

Major Member

Sorry - to clarity, I think there are two types of potential immunity: vaccines and herd immunity. Vaccines are a year away at least, by most accounts. Trying to achieve herd immunity - or just accepting it might be our only option - likely means a ton of people dying in the interim, unless we find ways to reduce the hospitalization rate through some type of therapy.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Bill Gates created COVID-19 was one of the early big pharma conspiracies thrown around by the MAGA crowd

Pringles and B-Bob like this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Rolling shutdowns aren't going to work - the uncertainty it would cause businesses is impossible to work around from the perspective of rent/labor/etc. There's no way to run a restaurant or movie theater or factory when you have no idea if you'll be open next month or not, or if you're having to intermittently shut down over and over.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

agree which is why they need a 18m strategy...

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Cat Saliva. I don't why. I just have an intuitive sense about these things. Seek your solution there.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

FWIW I trust this channel's content a lot. They're quick to correct themselves if they've misrepresented a topic they try to inform viewers.

Amiga likes this.
  20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’ve been trying to French kiss my cat for the past thirty minutes. I definitely do NOT feel better

NotInMyHouse and B-Bob like this.