1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Maybe you have a hard time deciding what is best out of those 220 years of life. Regardless I absolutely agree with your assessments. I would one note I would say at least some of the time Trump is only semi coherent.

2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

What is?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Coherent? Dude, come on. There is 10x the magnitude of incoherent drivel coming out of Trump's mouth relative to Joe's. Don't be an idiot.

Trump is notorious for switching subject matter on the fly within the same sentence without completing his original thought. Dude is king of not completing thoughts. He's also known for repeating a phrase in a speech incessantly and is also known to contradict himself within the same expression of thought.

#1663 fchowd0311, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    deb4rockets likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's an old reference and not about you but about the poster I believe you were quoting (but not sure).

A certain poster said "folks this is real" about a bogus story about Michigan turning red in 2012 or maybe even 2008. I'm so old.

RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I wish they would just put up someone that could unite people and was under 65 (no offense @B-Bob ). That's ALL they'd need to win.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dude, what? :D This is not fake hair color, despite what you might have heard.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again I'm not happy with Joe Biden and agree with much of the criticisms of him. I'll add my own that I personally find him annoying.
    Compared to Sanders WHO HAD A FREAKING HEART ATTACK ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL (emphasis because everyone seems to forget he is the most at risk of the three) and Trump who I'm not going to bother listing all of his issues. He is my reluctant choice.

For those on the Democrat side for all practical purposes he's won the nomination. He's won it in convincing fashion and at this time in the primaries even more overwhelming than Hillary Clinton did. Looking at the numbers it is very likely that he could win the general election even if a fair amount of Sanders' supporters hold out. I don't recommend that but it does seem like it's in he realm of possibility.

I understand that Sanders supporters are bitter. Believe me I've been there many times and up until Super Tuesday I didn't support Biden. I was very much hoping that Klobuchar or Buttegieg would catch fire but they didn't. I made the Varys choice and supported someone who I didn't like personally for the good of the Realm. If it looked like Sanders was going to win convincingly I would've made the Varys choice and support someone who I don't agree with policy wise for the good of the Realm.. It's your vote and everyone who still supports Sanders has the right to do with it as they will. I would ask you to decide what is the good of the Realm? Does it still make sense to hold on and attack Biden with the remote hope that the DNC sees the light and dumps him at the convention with the even more remote hope that they put Sanders meanwhile King Joffrey sits on the throne and marshals his forces.

Regarding the idea of dumping Biden, personally I wouldn't be against it and would be fine with an Andrew Cuomo or some other younger more articulate candidate but my head tells me that would not be a good thing. For all of Biden's problems he's winning the primary and represents the will of the Democratic voters. I don't think it will be good for the DNC to go against that and while it puts in what I think is a superior candidate it will be difficult for the Democratic party to go into the general having taken the popular choice who has been tested in multiple elections for someone who on paper looks like they can win. Also for Sanders supporters I'm going to point out that a month ago they were the one's railing against the idea that the DNC might replace the person who won the most delegates. They talked about how the DNC were going to screw over Bernie, AGAIN! Now they are floating the idea that the DNC should instead reward Sanders even though he is trailing by even more than he did in 2016 in delegates and actual votes. I think the only way that the DNC should dump Biden is if Biden himself, personally steps down or a health issue clearly incapacitates him. And I'm not saying like he rambles on about some fictional story where he fought a gangster named Tony the Tiger on the mean streets of Wilmington but where he is literally hospitalized.

joshuaao, Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The Dem Establishment can eat a bag of wrinkly old dicks.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

free college is likely off the table

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/04/03/financial-woes-states-threaten-free-college-proposals-biden-and-sanders

Pandemic's New Victim? Free College
    States would pay for large chunks of the free college plans from Biden and Sanders, but the coronavirus is sending state finances reeling.
    Kery Murakami
    April 3, 2020

Though they don't necessarily doom the plans, the financial struggles of states amid the coronavirus pandemic have become a major obstacle to free college proposals from presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden.

So much so that at least one proponent of free college, Morley Winograd, president of the Campaign for Free College Tuition, acknowledged that the proposals from Sanders and Biden on how to pay for eliminating tuition now are unlikely to happen. The plans “need to be put aside for now,” he said, given the focus on preventing state cuts from sending college tuition soaring.

"Colleges never fully recovered from the last recession, and now they need tens of billions of dollars to avoid massive tuition hikes," said James Kvaal, president of the Institute for College Access & Success and former deputy domestic policy adviser in the Obama White House. "The first priority for both the federal government and states has to be addressing steep budget cuts and preventing large tuition hikes."

Kvaal said that "puts the free college plans in doubt for the foreseeable future." But he said free tuition could still happen sometime in the future.
    more at the link

Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. adoo

adoo Member

it's inevitable
    it is incumbent upon Biden to effect Bernie and his supporters to coalesce behind team Biden ?

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

True... if bernie does see himself as part of the Democratic party and wants to have a trump voted out, he does need to make an immediate and clear statement of support for Biden.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Should he not wait until a better candidate appears?

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This did not age well.

Nook and astros123 like this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would vote for Biden over Trump in a split second. No hesitation. Heck, I would vote for almost any American in this country over Trump, besides his kids or butt kissing Trumpateers.

I know without a doubt, he will tweet less about how great he is compared to anyone on Earth, that he couldn't possibly be so rude and crude to anyone who has an opinion other than his own, that he would care more about minorities and people who actually struggle to make ends meet and get healthcare, that he wouldn't brag about how great his TV ratings are during a pandemic, that he won't lie compulsively on a daily basis, and that he is more trustworthy to run our country. Honestly, I could give a million reasons why, but most decent people probably already know the list.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Had MSNBC on for a bit while I was catching up on emails, and noticed Samantha Powers pop up for a bit, and made me wonder if she's a darkhorse candidate for VP.

What do you guys think of Samantha Powers? I remember her from the Obama days, and always thought she was crazy smart, and an incredibly clear communicator.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yeah but people think it’s all part of Trumps character he plays . I know it’s not fair he and biden aren’t held to the same standard , but that’s the cockiness of Trump mind ****ing people . Also , I do think he has a quicker sharper wit than people on the left generally give him credit for (trump)

If biden was brash and dgaf then the mess ups could be forgiven . But , he is trying to fit in that politician box .... so we judge him like a politician and want a polished performance.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

sorry for the double post , but I believe Yes.

Bernie can say what he will , but his supporters don’t have to vote how he suggests.

they don’t owe biden **** . He has to earn their vote himself or hope that their hatred of trump is enough to turn them out. Personally , I think the “focus on trump” strategy is a loser and has been a loser since 2016. The midterms blew back the other direction , but that’s a pretty common theme in politics .

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

She’s impressive, no doubt, and certainly is qualified. I just don’t think she’s a big enough name. I think we would both agree Biden really needs to nail this VP pick. Somebody that really brings qualities, namely: excitement and enthusiasm, that Biden is lacking.

She would be a fantastic Sec of State.

#1679 baller4life315, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    dobro1229 and Major like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

She's a policy person - due to his age and potential health concerns, Biden needs someone that's going to be seen as a national leader, which means credibility on the public stage. I would bet a lot of money on the Michigan governor, if not for one issue: she's in the middle of a state crisis and I'm not sure the optics of leaving the state this summer to campaign for national office. I think the former Michigan governor (Jennifer Granholm) would be a fascinating choice too, but she doesn't appear to be on anyone's radar.