1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pandemic Work from Home Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SamFisher, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The arm is better for your neck too.

Your back will thank you for a quality arm that can adjust multiple times

B-Bob likes this.
  2. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

I've spent way too much on this stuff already and will have to throw down some more on mics, webcams, docking stations, and who knows what else. I have to create how-to videos of our apps to share with our clients. Fun times....

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

the 7 years old asked me : what do you think of Trump's response to Corona! told him we shouldn't think of that, he said : so why do you read that ! I changed the conversation by asking the 4 years old , you're doing push-ups! nice to Exercises ,he said yeah I want to flatten my stomach

I'm worry free about that if neighbors stay quiet given lack of options

B-Bob likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I tried to start an office prank war with my wife. She wasn’t having it.

dmoneybangbang, desihooper and B-Bob like this.
  5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This for me. I can work from home but I get too easily distracted or I'd probably just sit in the pool all day. We might have 3 people working in the entire office next week and I'm down. We have hourly disinfectant cleaning, free toilet paper and coffee (woot!), work is buying food for those who come in and peace and quite. Plus the roads are empty so peaceful commute.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Be careful videoconferencing ...

jcf, robbie380, Invisible Fan and 4 others like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dude: “I saw nothing.” :D

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

yeah, it can be fine. Be obsessively careful about used surfaces (like coffee pot handles, doorknobs). But it sounds great. I wish I could sneak into my quiet office right now.

yesterday I got going writing and suddenly Mrs B-Bob started a very loud dance video for her cardio.

we have to start negotiating break times.

Exiled likes this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I get that. I actually like being in my office....I just hate driving to and from. It's about 45 minutes each way. If I was 10 minutes away, like way back in my single days, I would probably prefer being in the office, frankly.

10. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Can you expand upon this? I switched to 100% WFH for my new company, and a lot of what I've read is that the home office deductions are for self-employed individuals only as part of 2018 tax code changes.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm very OCD and cannot remember the last time I've left the restroom with a paper towel in my hand to open it. Our door knobs and everything else is cleaned hourly. Our night time cleaning crew also sprays some chemicals on our desk, keyboards etc to kill any germs. My commute with no traffic is now maybe 15 minutes. I still hate getting up at 5:30 but I just can't sit in the house all week and work. Much more productive in the office. Even if they do a statewide shutdown we are considered essential so I'll just do what corporate says. Make me work from home and I'm gonna come back with a very nice tan lol.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Big box of legos you are my screenless god while I cry upstairs

B-Bob likes this.
  13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'm in the camp that also prefers to be in the office, proper. I know myself and I know I get distracted to easily. Luckily it's a 'slow' time at work in terms of deliverables but last week was still hard to get things done

donkeypunch likes this.
  14. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I was doing the forecast for the IT Group, and I asked if they'd end up spending more money due to everyone working from home. He said no, and that they've been able to use loaners or have people setup with their own equipment from home. He then said "If people can't work on their laptop and need a second screen, they can take it from the office."

"Wait, I can bring my monitors home?" - Me
    "Yes, just bring them back or you'll have to work on a laptop in the office until you do." IT Guy
    "thank God!" - My neck and back.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Why did none of the ladies step up and say something before it got that far?

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe they thought of saying something but decided to film it on the phone instead.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. Damion Laverne

Trying to setup remote access at the office via my laptop.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Feels staged, but the more I watch it the more I think it was real. Probably a lot of people who aren't used to having meetings like this are making rookie mistakes right about now.

Reminds me of a company town hall last year when someone forgot to mute and flushed a toilet RIGHT AFTER our VP asked if there were any questions. This was audio only - no video - so to this day, no one knows who the culprit was.

I've taken a dump or 2 on a few conference calls but I always check 5 times or more to make sure I'm on mute. And only on calls that I'm not required to speak on. What a nightmare.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Zoom Virtual Background Inception:

Zoom allows users to use virtual background, which can be any photo or mp4 video. Zoom also allows you to record a meeting.

So, I recorded a short video of myself moving around in my home office room, use the video as virtual background, then recorded myself moving with said virtual background. Then use that video as virtual background and recorded myself again... repeat as many times as desired.

20. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Excluding people who have young kids, I can't believe people would rather work at an office than at home. I've been working from home for most of the last 20 years. Spending money on gas and wasting x hours per week sitting on traffic seems insane to me. 99% of my work can be done without being in the same building as co-workers. I don't have to go out to eat for lunch or prepare in advance. I can take a nap if I feel like it. I can shower, or not, whenever the hell I want to. I can start working at 6 am or 10 am. I can quit at 2 PM or 7 PM. I almost never drink crappy office coffee. I'm not exposed to co-workers germs, so I hardly ever get a cold/flu/worse (definitely jinxing myself). I feel like this is going to be one of the few positives that comes out of this whole thing. Companies will realize most employees still get their work even when they're at home and hopefully fewer people will have to waste their lives sitting in traffic and polluting their town and have more time to spend with their families, working, and relaxing. Companies benefit by not having to pay for as much office space...

davidio840 and ima_drummer2k like this.