1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The House Committee on Oversight and Reform reported in July 2019 that over 700 children have been separated from their parents after the policy's official end. In July, it was reported that as many as five children per day were being separated, and by October, the total had reached 1,090.

My understanding is this was just DHS funded and done with standard personnel there along with border patrol, and other immigration departments.

The Army and Marines had more than 175,000 people invade and were stationed in Iraq within 3 months in Iraq in 2003. That included creating military bases.

Yes... I stand by my statement that if the Trump admin used wartime powers the military could help create triage wings within days or few weeks at hospitals in major cities across the US to triage patients and scale up our healthcare system for a pandemic response. I’m not sure why you think this is something you feel like arguing against. You have any better ideas???

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You said hundreds of thousands of kids .... now its 1,090. That was hyperbole.

I'm not arguing against the idea of MFU's , they are a good idea .... I'm just pointing out that you aren't gonna build a "hospital" in a week which kinda supports your assertion of MFU's being the answer.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm hearing that they will give the $1200 only to taxpayers making 40k-75k, Most of the laid off workers are service workers making less than 40k. My daughter - one of those worker - had to file unemployment for the 1st time this week and will not qualify. She gets nada. And my 2 son's have decent paying jobs for their age and should be stable for the foreseeable future? They get free money. WTH?

If this package is supposed to be for those that are hurting, why not give the people that were laid off more money than $267 a week so they can pay rent, utilities, etc and maybe some health care? The govt is so clueless on how the real world functions.

Here's to hoping the dems step up and fix this rep senate plan. Of course that will just drag it out because instead of realizing their mistake, the reps will just dig in and make this political.

snowconeman22 and FrontRunner like this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Anyone else getting a lot of youtube Chinese propaganda suggestions?

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Following up on building the hospital in 6 days. As someone in architecture and construction the answer is emphatically NO...

It would be a challenge to build a single family house in 6 days and a fully functioning hospital is one of the most complicated things to construct. First it takes 28 days for concrete to cure before you can start using it so you can't do standard foundation and floor slab systems. Using some other system such as steel or concrete masonry foundation systems could work but masonry takes a long time to place and set. Steel for large structures particularly large structural beams and columns isn't usually just sitting around. It's expensive to store large sections of steel so in most cases steel is one of the first things ordered during construction. We could use wood but large section engineered lumber also isn't just sitting around and small section lumber like 2 x 4's need labor for the framing. Wood foundations and floors can be built but those present other challenges of moisture protection. Considering we're building a hospital we need the floors to be sanitary.

The structural challenges ignore the biggest challenge of a hospital. HVAC, elecricity and plumbing (MEP). In a hospital especially one to diagnose and treat highly contagious diseases we need all sorts of positive pressure rooms, sterile rooms and other climate controlled spaces. We need to power ventilators, monitors, scanners, along with an extensive IT system to tie that together. MRI and X-ray rooms need special shielding. We need water systems that can provide sterilized water, steam for autoclaves and extremely important a waste system that doesn't contaminate the municipal system or ground water.

When the PRC built a hospital in 10 days my understanding is that it wasn't a fully functional hospital but really more of a ward for housing and isolating patients. Also the PRC has the worlds largest and best pre-fab construction industry. They've been doing things like building hotels in two weeks for years. We don't have a big pre-fab industry. We do things like pre-cast concrete panels and beams, manufactured housing like trailer homes but not a lot of pre-fab construction modules like the PRC does.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree we should be skeptical of what's coming out of the PRC regarding where they are at with fighting Covid 19. That said if they aren't telling the truth it will become obvious soon if their infection rate and deaths flare up again. My own view is to be cautiously optimistic of what is happening there but take it with a salt shaker of salt.

joshuaao, Andre0087 and B-Bob like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That first part is most certainly not true.

There would be a ceiling, but no floor. If you paid taxes, you are getting 1200.

#2287 sealclubber1016, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Hakeemtheking and Andre0087 like this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

probably based on analytics on people who easily fall for these kind of stuff

havoc1 likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

OMG... of course it was hyperbole. Why was that something you felt like was a distinction that took away from the basic point that was being made?

As I said... no of course they aren’t building another Memorial Herman overnight. I was talking about the type of overnight base camps that the military constructs in short periods of time. I think someone also brought up the idea of using closed down rural hospitals but not sure that’s feasible and might actually be more expensive to transport etc.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes

not really

11. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Link to article you read this in?

12. Fantasma Negro

Damn when did Lina Hidalgo get those t*tties?

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, pics please.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Semantics.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

philosophy of science

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not really. Scientific Method, Scientific Process - it's all the same.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

nope. that's why I took the time to share those book titles.

bigtexxx likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Maybe you should take the time to explain your position because book titles don't really say anything.

As someone who has practiced science and had names in published papers, I think I know how science works a bit here. Whether you want to call it a process or a method is immaterial. Regardless, you still have put forth a hypothesis (or a null hypothesis) that can stand up to the rigors of experimentation and verified in multiple ways. Science isn't based on gut instincts like Trump likes to operate.

19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I noticed the CDC didn't update their webpage yesterday with the new numbers, even though they say they will by 4pm every day, and their trend graph is a couple days old. Not trying to be a conspiracy nut, but do they not want to show that we had 4,000+ reported cases yesterday and already have over 800 reported today?

According to the latest numbers from worldometers.info, we're up to 14,556 cases in the US with 218 deaths (125 recovered).
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

IBTL likes this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Muzzle it! The market don't like bad news. What they fear more is unknown and gov hiding #.

With testing coming online, we are going to see spikes. Wouldn't be surprised to see localized 1k+ spikes and nationally, 10k+ spikes.

RayRay10 likes this.