1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

March 2020: Short Rotations again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Mar 2, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm afraid he will be to stubborn to even consider putting in Chandler or Hartenstein now. If he didn't do it for even a few minutes when we were being completely dominated in the paint and on the boards, then I'm gonna guess he is all in on small ball or bust.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

#1 causes the other two

Rocket River

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

MDA always plays new guys for a game or two just to see how they do in his system. After that, he always reverts back to his 7.5-man rotation.

If he likes the new guy, he puts him in the rotation and bumps one of the original rotation players to the end of the bench. He never expands his rotation just because you add new players to the roster.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

looks like he expanded his rotation to include green on a nightly basis and rightfully so

Easy likes this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Sign a good player in July

If Rivers, Green and Carroll take vet minimum salary,

6 million MLE is fully taxable.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Green replaces Sefolosha as the 0.5 guy.

To be fair, this year, the rotation is a bit larger, mainly because he has three inconsistent guys on the same level, House, Rivers, McLemore. None of them deserves to have full starter minutes. So three players are sharing what usually are two rotation spots.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure how he's 0.5 when he has played every night. thabo on the other hand wasn't even close

9. bj3175

bj3175 Member

when we move the ball two or three times for the 3 which is literally an option its a better shot and we are making teams work to stop us which makes every possession they fail like a dagger shot.

DeBeards likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There was a stretch in December for some unknown reasons Gary Clark was played instead of Sefolosha. (Shortly after that Clark was waived.) If you take away that stretch, Thabo played almost every game, sometimes more sometimes less. That's what I mean by being the 0.5 guy.

Green is playing for more consistent PT with about the same amount (around 15-20 mpg). It's only 6 games. Let's see how consistent his rotation spot is going forward.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm not expecting him to be out of the rotation at all.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

1) agree with you on rotations. Pet peeve of mine.
    2) Not sure 3) Not sure

Using last nights game (vs Knicks) as the small sample size petrie dish ......tale of the tape box score:

Knicks..................................................stat......................................Rockets.............................................
    35 out of 67 (52%)............................2-pointers..............................19 out of 38 (50%)................................
    12 out of 30 (40%).............................3-pointers...............................20 out of 56 (35.7%)............................
    65...........................................................Rebs..........................................34.................................................
    17...........................................................TOV’s.........................................12..................................................
    6................................................................Stl............................................11..................................................
    7................................................................Blk’s..........................................5...................................................
    26...............................................................Ast...........................................25..................................................
    20..............................................................OReb..........................................8.................................................
    45...............................................................DReb.........................................26................................................
    30...............................................................FTA...........................................27..............................................
    97...............................................................FGA...........................................94..............................................

3’s vs 2’s: as one can see the Knicks hit at a better percentage but the Rockets shot a ton of them and hit at an
    average clip. Knicks shot a ton of 2’s....3’s the Rockets hit covered a lot of ground...equated to Knicks 70 pts (2’s)
    to Houston’s 60 pts (3’s).

Problem was the wide distortion in rebounds which resulted in second chance points. Houston took the Knicks
    too lightly.....need to do a better job of group rebounding at both ends. Reduces 2nd chance pts. But note FGA’s
    we’re almost equal (97-94)

Rockets had some bonehead turnovers but have lowered their TOV’s since going “Micro-Ball”. Here they hit that
    low mark of only 12 TOV’s vs 17 by the Knicks. Harden 3 while Westbrook had 6.

They (NYK) won the blks contest.....Rockets had been averaging about 9 blocks/game but had only 5 in this game.
    Rockets stole the steals contest.

So basically, if Houston did a better job of rebounding as a gang......they should have won this game comfortably by reducing the Knicks 2nd chance points. Knicks actually have good players. Frank Ntilikina
    scoring 11 points was the anomaly in my eyes. That was a surprise to me.

P.S. as for rotations, it’s a tightrope that coaches have to walk. Some players want to work up a lather and
    feel they can’t get in a groove if the coach rotates everyone every 5 minutes, but sometimes players just
    don’t have it certain games. Coach needs to watch the players closely through the day, on the bus, in the
    locker roo, in pre game shoot around, meals......have a feel for the players Chi. I’m a believer that D’Antoni
    is too book bound. He has a book on players and doesn’t give day to day or minute to minute.

I would be more flexible on players playing times. Some players play great against a certain player or certain team.
    How do you know unless they play? I just feel D’Antoni goes to his safe place too fast too often.

#32 ApacheWarrior, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    hakeem94 and DeBeards like this.
  13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Cant agree any more! The key word is patience.
    Look at dunkan-parker-gino spurs, they got patience in every single possession finding best one to make a dagger shot through passing 2+ times.

hakeem94 and bj3175 like this.
  14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Cool, one more great great sharing came up with you.
    A loss to Knicks is not a typical loss we could find out of our previous 10+ 'micro ball' games, two reasons:
    1. We thought less of opp n tried to coast for 1-3 qrts n take over in the 4th, We failed awkwardly.
    2. Due to the above-mentioned, our team D was not there, giving Knicks a good momentum throughout untill pulling away…plus knicks good at second chance attacks n defensive rebounds.

I mentioned 2 and 3 besides 1 (the rotation issue) in this post, cuz like what happened in Boston we shot 27.3% 3s (due to crltics' goid defense) but still notched the W by finding a way out. That's not a typical micro ball win…there were two takeaways i believe:
    (The Athletic article, captioned: Rockets play a different gane to stole celtics, send message to rest of the league)
    *While 3s not falling in, don't push it (Russian 40pts, most mid-range or dunk)
    *Playing focus and work as a team (forth qrt tightening up D)
    1-3 actually need MDA to work out by either changing himself (1) or talking his players out of i (2 + 3)

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

We need to be running 9-10 man rotation on a nightly basis... more on blowouts obviously...

We gotta maintain high energy on d and hustlin down any loose ball we can get - and that dont happen at a high enough level with tired legs...

DeBeards likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Rebounds each game after Covington trade:
    W Lakers: 38.........Rockets 37 (-1)
    L Suns 51..............Rockets 29 (-22)
    L Jazz 48..............Rockets 36 (-12)
    W Celtics 48.........Rockets 45 (-3)
    W Warriors 40.......Rockets 36 (-4)
    W Jazz 46.............Rockets 42 (-4)
    W Grizz 49............Rockets 44 (-5)
    W Celtics 54.........Rockets 53 (-1) OT
    L Knicks 65...........Rockets 34 (-31)

So when the Rockets have lost.....th Rockets have lost the TRB contest by 12 or more rebounds.
    Won the other games.

Knicks are a tough matchup problem for the Rockets. Some of the best in the paint battling big men in the
    form of: Julius Randle (Has killed us even going up against Capela while with Lakers and Pels)
    Harkless
    Taj Gibson (High basketball I Q and active)
    Bobby Portis
    and capped off with Mitchell Robinson, good rim protecting rebounder/shot blocker that runs the floor well.

Evidence of the let down is when Boston coach/players were raving about how well the Rockets blocking out vs
    Celtics. I’m not sure any Knicks were impressed with our attention to blocking out and rebounding.
    Fortunately many elite teams lack that many decent scoring PF’s thrown in with SF’s. I’m a big fan
    of RJ Barrett as well.

DeBeards likes this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I would think a 7-man rotation is a "short" rotation.

Don't most playoff teams play just 8-9 guys at this stage of the season?
    Surely nobody is playing 11-12 guys consistently??

I don't think 9 men is that odd. Sure, if someone (PJ) is sucking, go to your bench and give ol' DMC a whirl. That would be a coach who makes adjustments. MDA has never been particularly flexible has he? He tends to play the odds - "if Tucker is down right now, or if Harden can't hit the side of a barn door, keep rolling the same thing, because there's a good chance they turn it all around the very next play"

Hard to expect a 75 year old to suddenly change his ways right?

kjayp likes this.
  18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

In another words, it's nice at least we make use of the loss in nyc to mark down one of critical tips of micro ball.
    Someone in CF posted right after the loss that teams finally search out a way to defeat us.i don't quite agree with that, cuz actually its we ourselves's effortlessness buried this ez W.

p.s. Whenever you pan out statistics, i calmly copy n paste in my ONE NOTE. lol

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, prior to the game all I heard was how many games the Rockets have won in the Garden without a loss.
    All the way back to something like 2009 or 2008. Beating the Knicks easily a couple games prior also played into it.

I also think Harden has been struggling with stomach issues......quote unquote poo-gate. All of us have dealt
    with diarrhea before, but most of us don’t have to wear white shorts after. Lol. Too much info I’m sure.

Again I’m trying to think of which teams have bigs as good at scoring as New York. The true big being Mitchell
    Robinson- being that quick and athletic. Lakers have AD/LeBron/Kuzma/Markieff.......Clippers
    Kawhi/PG13/Harrell/Marcus Morris.......I’ve mentioned the Bucks Ilyasova/Lopez brothers may be too slow to matchup
    with us at our offensive end. Miami may be one of the more dangerous teams for us if they go small. Boston was
    will be tougher with Kemba.

I’ve never said the Rockets would beat all teams by 15. No perfect teams out there, but the Rockets are with the elite
    teams attempting to be as close to perfect as possible. Rebounding will always be our weakness, but
    the Rockets can do better than they did vs the Knicks this past Monday.

20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

didn't expect you not only fond of collect raw data but also pay so much attention to those nuances:oops:

yesterday, after watching Heats hold off Bucks, I once half determined to leave you a message put it like: yes, you are right, Heats are a real contender in the East (esp by landing iggy n crowder):)

I only hope our players can be mentally strong in playoff (2-3 round). there are nothing but that I need to worry about. (maybe russ is the answer n missing piece)