1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I live in Spring Branch and was very glad that I chose to go the Galleria at the same day and time that all went down in Memorial City Mall.

BigM likes this.
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No kidding, tax free weekend too. We only went in because my wife’s 3 month old iPhone randomly stopped working. Bad timing.

sammy and CCity Zero like this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm, for me... Like a few weeks ago, I think it's more dangerous than typical flu season let's say 0.5-2% vs flu 0.1-1% (heck the 1918 Spanish flu ranges but I think it was in reality only 3-5% worldwide, but the death numbers make it obviously look a lot higher) - - but there's a lot more dangerous stats that will trump that, that aren't viruses... Sooo unless this turns into airborne Ebola it'll be fine.

With that said, I'm still going to wash hands - like always/cough into sleeve, and maybe self quarantine if I knowingly get it, I definitely don't want to give it to someone with a compromised immune system, so the flu makes it a lot easier - ie I have a fever and feel bad - so I'll stay home from work etc. So I don't make others sick. That's my main concern, is not having symptoms and spreading it.

I mean I get my vaccines to not only protect myself but the parts of the community that physically can't get them, but in this case I'm worried of giving it to someone without having control (assuming no symptoms).

The fear here is the unknown/spreading without knowing and it being more contagious, I mean the media loves a good story, but in reality the flu season is always dangerous, especially to the part of the population with underlying health issues.

I'm also not trying to make light of it, but you have to live life, and we all take risks just driving in a car... The only real concern I have is it proves how behind/unprepared we are for a truly high mortality rate virus.... I mean if this had a 80-90%+ rate and we can't prevent travel/quarantine or even get basic food/medical supplies because we rely on other countries for everything - it's a real wake-up call.

Like let's say we shut borders and China did their part to contain the best they could early (a super bug), suddenly we have no regular shipments from the central hub of China (because not only are they making products for us but medicine/medical products from other countries are flying in and out of China's hub), that's the reality of this new global economy.

So tl Dr (but probably long) - not worried much (unless something changes in few weeks/media panics everyone), but it's definitely a wake up call that we need better plans and ability to produce our own products here. I mean we can't even supply our healthcare workers with masks, the cdc greeted knowingly infected people with no setup, we've released/lost confirmed positives, it's all the making of Contagion and we're the actors.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nati...0200301-3w77xccvjvh6tjsj2k337isjce-story.html

Exiled, Yung-T, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, now that ****, when you're in moment with your family, that's scary. I mean I wouldn't think of it happening/worry but if it does happen, it's like, WTF. I mean sure someone/you/me (might have a CHL), but when you went in the store and you're not prepared and with family that's gotta be the worst feeling.

I'm glad it was nothing.

BigM likes this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I was mildly concerned because people were yelling and confirming a shooter but I heard absolutely nothing. Gun shots are loud and I’m guessing gun shots in an enclosed space like mall hallways are even louder. Thank goodness it wasn’t that’s for sure.

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

People can be super nasty and inconsiderate so that coupled with the potential for asymptomatic transmission really makes this thing wide open for spread. But how do we judge when it’s beneficial to start disrupting society. If you’re at high risk you definitely want to self quarantine or be extremely cautious but shutting down schools? Is that actually necessary or irrational? Just thinking out loud.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, like I think it's more the fear of the unknown, assuming the numbers we've been given are close to right, it should be fine, I just think with it being more contagious is what's also scaring/creating panic in more people. And if we trust the numbers given from outside the USA, I think it's basically being setup as a precaution.

Again, I'm not making light of it, and I do worry about it spreading without knowing, but the next 1-2 weeks will tell us everything we need to know. I'd recommend getting any rx you need for family in case there's a shortage and maybe a 2 week supply of food of stuff you'd eat anyway in case we've been lied to or they force quarantine. But beyond that - assuming normal health, I'd treat it like flu season.

The only other reason for a quarantine like school/events is because if it spreads rapidly and let's say 66% of the USA population gets it and then if 10-20% are crit cases that need real health care they're trying to spread it out so we don't overwhelm the current health system, ie not enough physicians/hospitals/beds/ventilators - by limiting the spread it can prevent major shortages in health coverage.

Basically its just a lot more contagious, so limiting spread will help Healthcare workers manage it better and hopefully give them time to get masks

BigM, Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh also, definitely agree with you, it's like some people don't consider that someone else might have an automune issue or can't be bothered to wash hands... The 20+ seconds you take to wash your hands/also cough into your sleeve isn't going to kill you, hahah

BigM likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

oh, and there's this guy. Fear this guy.

FrontRunner, BigM, ArtV and 2 others like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, this is the exact **** I'm talking about. He probably didn't wash his hands before going over there either... Haha

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Can confirm this from someone I know. Sugar Land outbreak imminent, at least 4 I heard about through the grapevine from Chinese locals (their is a Chinese community group on WeChat). Saw a lot of Chinese locals with masks on at Sugar Land Costco on Saturday. I hope they were just being cautious, but who knows?

#1091 RKREBORN, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    FrontRunner likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Ive seen asian people wearing masks around houston for decades

13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Not 12 year olds...

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Canceling my vacation to Sugar Land immediately.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not too uncommon to see Asians with those masks on. Saw some in Costco Cypress this weekend myself.

16. Nook

Nook Member

*Yawn*.... Not really worried about it. Perhaps the advantage of having a wife that went to medical school.

The world isn’t ending.

The Corona virus sucks... just like influenza and a host of other common viruses.

The real survival rate is guaranteed to be much higher than has been reported.

There is no need for 95% percent of the active US population to really change their plans or lifestyle other than exercising common sense.

BigM and CCity Zero like this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So do we have any confirmed Covid-19 cases in the wild in Texas yet? Because as of mid afternoon I suddenly have an intensely sore throat/mild cough and sinusitis, with no fever, which reads a whole lot like the mild carrier cases. Also reads a whole lot like a run of the mill perfectly normal infection.

Probably nothing, but neither do I wish to be responsible for mass senicide.

#1097 Ottomaton, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just the sanatone cdc escapee mall lurker so far. Any other suspected cases have not been confirmed yet I believe.

Like you, my whole family has had some symptoms of something lately, for us it's intensely runny nose / constant sneezing, sore throat these past couple of days, but no fever , no congestion, no cough... yet. I read 88% of reported cases experience fever, the other two common symptoms are dry cough and congestion in chest.

malakas and Ottomaton like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What could possibly go wrong.

20. malakas

malakas Member

People keep comparing with China but let me ask you this..
    how much % of people in China have high blood pressure and diabetes and how much in Europe and USA? Asthma?

All of these are the "preexisting conditions" that put you in the danger group.

CCity Zero likes this.