1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[OFFICIAL] Michael Bloomberg for President 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 7, 2019.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Facts matter. It helps to get beyond the latst Bloomberg ad or bloombergnews.com or whatever

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...l-donations-republicans-history-president-run

As mayor, Bloomberg endorsed President George W. Bush for re-election over Democrat John Kerry.

"The president deserves our support," he said in 2004.

Bloomberg helped Republicans maintain their slim majority in the state Senate, where they successfully blocked progressive legislation for years.

And as Democrats seek to win control of the U.S. Senate, it's notable how many Republican senators Bloomberg has backed in recent years:

• Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey
    • Late-Arizona Sen. John McCain
    • Maine Sen. Susan Collins
    • Former Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk
    • Former Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, among others.

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

So he's a DINO?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

ēl ๖l໐໐๓๖ērງ໐

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

Are you under the impression that 2004 is part of "the last decade"? Do you read what other people write? Bloomberg used to be a Republican and an independent before becoming a Democrat - that's a matter of record. It doesn't change any of what you quoted from me.

It also goes to the point that he's more interested in getting things done than partisanship, which is the basic brand he's running on. Whether his past support of Republicans costs him votes in a Democratic primary is a fair question and up to voters.

Nook and Jayzers_100 like this.
  5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

He has supported plenty of democratic candidates too. Look, he’s a sharp guy and I think he would be a good president. He has given countless money to progressive causes and his good reputation with some republicans and corporate is not a negative thing in my book. I like candidates with a broad coalition. The only negatives I see are that he’s yet another male, white wealthy type in his late 70s.

There’s not enough contrast demographically between him and Trump for my comfort. I have no idea if he’s good on a debate stage yet. He could be a perfectly viable dem nominee but it remains to be seen.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The voters obsessed with the wealth of the candidates already are supporters of Sanders.

Sanders is already sucking the marrow out of that 35% of the Democratic base.

jiggyfly and joshuaao like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I never said that a wealthy person shouldn't be president. I'm stating that good reason to support a candidate shouldn't be because they are wealthy and giving that reason to poor and middle class blue collared workers is not a bright idea.

8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and joshuaao like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

It was more directed at the comments of the other poster.

I do think the extreme wealth/success of a candidate does matter to voters, including blue collar voters, because it signifies success and gives them legitimacy. We saw that when Trump ran 4 years ago. His wealth was a big part of his appeal to some voters.

RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah, we're obsessed with wealth, not the 60+ billionaire throwing half a billion into ads to protect his money.

11. KingCheetah

I support candidates who pay 600,000,000 in cash for ads.

#balla

Nook, Pringles, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  12. omgTHEpotential

At least this guy looks like a president.

KingCheetah likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Frankly that makes him more electable in the general election and better suited to trying to resolve the divisions in this country.

Nook likes this.
  14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Those are the kinds of accusations that apparently only Bernie bros are allowed to make on others. Say something like that about Bernie and it’s unfair.

Nook, justtxyank and Major like this.
  15. KingCheetah

Error.

#295 KingCheetah, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think he is pretty much concerned that Trump will get re-elected. Full stop.

So is Obama. Obama wants the party to find a way to beat Bernie as well. Not because he's worried about a wealth tax.

17. Major

Major Member

With all the recent twists and turns, and as our representative of a right-lean anti-Trump voter, who are your preferred Dems at this point?

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Are these two tweets actually real? I assume not.

20. KingCheetah

Folks, this is real.

RayRay10, Nook and jiggyfly like this.