1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Section123row16seat1, Jan 26, 2020.

1. pippsux

pippsux Member

You don't know your emotions, until they come pouring out. I've cried today after a night of being unable to sleep. Crushed!

Tfor3, Lurch and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. Victorious

Victorious Member

It wouldn't be that hard to find out if his whole family was on the plane. The news would have came out by now

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I found out via my brother's text yesterday and I couldn't process it. After about 3 minutes i began crying. I've hated Kobe for over a decade. I legit enjoyed watching him lose games and series like I enjoyed watching us win games. I'm not regretful of hating him because I hated him for the fact that he was the essence of greatness. He was also in the way of my teams Championship goals. My respect for him is the reason I began crying and couldn't stop for the next hour. His love for the game I love was eye opening and it only made me appreciate his life on the court.

Rest in Peace Kobe Bryant, Gigi and all the other victims. We are a slightly less bright world without you but at least we got to see you and even root against you.

RudyTBag, Lurch, TRIQSTER and 11 others like this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

5. Rudy

Rudy Member

McGrady was on ESPN the Jump just right now and he was balling his eyes off!

Had no idea how close they were! Kobe would let him stay at his house during his younger years as a rookie. Him sharing personal stories about him and Kobe was heart breaking.

Tfor3, daywalker02 and fckbandwagons like this.
  6. mightybosstone

It's so strange how you can completely loathe a guy for nearly two decades and still be so emotionally effected by his tragic passing. I was trying to explain to my wife yesterday, who isn't a huge sports fan, why the tragedy got to me so much and it's kind of hard to put into words. But amid all the hatred and trash talk, there's always that unspoken feeling of respect and admiration. It was starting to come out the further Kobe got from the game after his retirement and the realization that the game was a little emptier without he and Duncan in it to hate all the time. Now that he's actually gone, you realize just how much you always secretly admired the guy and appreciated his game. Sports are weird...

7. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Take everything TMac says with a grain of salt. When Kobe was asked about TMac going one on one with him on recreational circumstances that claim was false. Kobe did not let Smush Parker or any lesser teammates dine at the same table with him and was often referred to as private and very family oriented, I highly doubt he ever let TMac sleep over...

#87 Sanctity, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. Rudy

Rudy Member

Here's that clip from today:

Houstunna and Tfor3 like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

T-Mac: "I think I'm the one person who had that connection that nobody else had with Kobe."

Yes, Tracy, only you had that close connection to Kobe. :rolleyes:

I've always loved T-Mac while still realistically knowing his weak points, and one of his weakest is a complete inability to know what do say when there's a mic in his face.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They were peers though, connected when they were young, then their families and wives connected as well, they didn't stay in contact every year but they are close.

Kobe was a friend of Vince as well.

Believe it or not, breh.

He is likely talking about 2002 to 2004, they were both on the same level, Tmac arguably being the best pre 23 year old during that era.
    Of course he fell off the wagon fast.

There was a time when Kobe was extremely secluded and hostile toward Shaq and role players but later on he became Black Mamba and opened up to his opponents, temmates, peers and friends.

#90 daywalker02, Jan 27, 2020
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not saying they weren't close. But it's very T-Mac to state he was closer to Kobe than anyone else. I don't even think that's what he meant to say; he just misspoke, which he has always had a habit of doing.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, I didn't know Orlando Mac well but it's the only time he could back up what he was saying.
    And from a competitive angle, could push Kobe.
    Tmac in his first Houston year did so.

He is a gemini character, the good and bad are extremes.

13. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Everyone in the crash has been named just for those who still speculating or want to know.
    The other three were the coach of the girls team. Her daughter was supposed to play as well but she was ill that day. And another parent and daughter. They haven’t made the names public but all the news here have confirmed them.

14. Rudy

Rudy Member

Idk man, feels like it's coming from the heart.

Here's a clip of T-Mac and Kobe a year ago to the day where Kobe talked about letting T-Mac stay with him and taking him out to Disneyland and how they really bonded and they would just talk to each for weeks during the season.

#94 Rudy, Jan 27, 2020
    BabyClutch likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i grew up watching Michael Jordan. Kobe was the only player i would ever compare him too over the last two decades. He had the same killer mentality, the same work effort, and their games were similar on both sides of the ball. I was always so jealous of LA; Kobe just couldn't be stopped. Best player in the league that first decade of the new century.

#95 Aruba77, Jan 27, 2020
    Blurr#7 likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nah it was well known that Tmac was one of the only friends of Kobe's while he was playing.

Kobe was a private person, and did not make an attempt to make tons of friends with the players. Tmac was the exception, they were definitely buddies and stayed at each other's house during all star games.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Kobe Bryant and Wife 'Had a Deal That They Would Never Fly on a Helicopter Together': Source

https://people.com/sports/kobe-bryant-wife-vanessa-had-deal-never-fly-helicopter-together/

Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna Bryant were killed in a helicopter crash on Sunday alongside seven other people

By Maria Pasquini

Kobe Bryant used helicopters to get around Los Angeles, but he and his wife Vanessa Bryant made a point not to fly together.

“He and Vanessa had a deal that they would never fly on a helicopter together,” a source tells PEOPLE of the couple, who tied the knot in 2001.

Bryant, who was killed alongside his 13-year-old daughter Gianna and seven other people in Sunday’s crash, is survived by Vanessa, 37, and their daughters Natalia, 17, Bianka, 3, and Capri, who was born in June 2019.

The former NBA player, 41, and his daughter were on their way to a youth basketball game at the time of the crash, according to ESPN.

The same source also told PEOPLE that Bryant “only” flew in helicopters with pilot Ara Zobayan, who was among those killed in the crash.

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. caneks

caneks Rookie

How is this related with Rockets?

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I live in socal and the weather was dogshit dreary yesterday, like a snapshot of an Eastern European winter.

Given that Californians can’t drive worth a lick when it rains more than one cm (let alone fly under foggy weather) and Kobe’s drive to always execute and perform on any given day, it feels like a preventable tragedy but also one that Kobe could not avoid and wanted to use as a strong and affirming life lesson.

Awful tragedy for all nine victims

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just watched and he stepped into doodoo territory when he mentioned the bit about dying young.

From the looks on Rachael’s face, it must have been some producer screaming in her earpiece “noooo roll it back! Roll it back!!”

I would pay money to read Jerry West’s unfiltered memoirs about his post playing career. You can see how much he loved Jerry Buss and the Lakers.

topfive likes this.