1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The NYT is the gatekeeper for the most liberal/leftist thought a reasonable (lol) mind could possible entertain-- you know sneaky enablers of the Iraq War and tax cuts for the wealthy, the religion that costs only matter for health education and welfare etc. The NYT has just endorsed Klobuchar who has yet to break 5% (how's that for some RESISTANCE and whatever is necessary to defeat Trump!!

I do appreciate the attempt to link Klobuchar w. Warren who can use the appeal of the frankly more personally appealing Klobuchar.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well when you put it that way Harden's three point shooting last night doesn't look quite so bad

ElPigto, joshuaao, B-Bob and 4 others like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

There is a lot going into it.

First, the medical coverage part of it is a big part of the total cost, but the last I checked it was less than half of what Sanders intends to add in spending. So there is still another 50-60 trillion unaccounted for over 10 years. That is an incredible amount of money.

Then there will be real strong winners and losers under a single payer plan. Those over 65 are not going to be happy subsidizing everyone else when their taxes are tripled. Single people and younger people are going to be shocked by the increase in costs. Potentially some businesses will leave.

Would there be enough democrats in the house and senate to pass what Sanders wants? Absolutely not and Sanders has not shown the ability to compromise.

IF single payer was the only massive plan, then it would be more palatable, but he is advocating a radical change in WHAT the government is in our country and that should at least give people pause.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Which is more paranoid of "fake news", General Donald Trump and his minions or Comrade Bernie Sanders and his Bernie Bros?

I cannot tell anymore.

jiggyfly, Ottomaton, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Hey @Major You can ignore it if you think it's misleading. That's on you, man. Nobody is trying to mislead anyone. You read an article that says Bernie is doing well with Black support. Now you're mad because the article said he is doing well with black support if he gets to the general? Get help, man or put me on ignore.

6. dmoneybangbang

Agreed.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Almost anyone that the Democrats nominate to run against Trump will do well with black voters.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

They stayed home for Hilary Clinton or did we forget? While Bernie Sanders has the most diverse base in the field.

9. dmoneybangbang

Lol. What? Sneaky enablers.... Man you people sound like Trump supporters at this point.

Maybe Bernie isn’t as reasonable as you were led to believe.

10. dmoneybangbang

She still won the black vote handily which was the point.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Compared to the first black President in US history? Yeah it fell............ and still was higher than any other non-Obama election in many years.

joshuaao and baller4life315 like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The point is more black voters would vote for Sanders in the general than Biden. That's the point. That's what the article said. I'n not sure what you guys are crying about.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So Biden is trouncing Bernie with the black vote in the primary but Bernie will turnout more black voters in the general?

I need to read this article that's some good math.

jcf, ElPigto, joshuaao and 1 other person like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

No it doesn’t as Major pointed out.

jcf likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Like I have said before, People like Biden because they think he can beat Trump because media keeps saying he is the most electable. Nobody seems to like what Biden brings to the table at all.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

No it doesn't what? Yes it does.

17. justtxyank

Read the article and think translating it into actual turnout is a bridge too far.

It's asking "would you consider voting for." This is not a good predictor of turnout.

The poll was done on "all Americans" and doesn't skew for likely voters, or even registered voters. It was also done by Ipsos which is an online only company with a B- rating according to 538.

Basically it means nothing.

jcf and Nook like this.
  18. justtxyank

I mean people say this anecdotally but this seems more like a progressive talking point than anything backed up by actual data. People like Biden. It is probably NOT because they like his policies specifically and more about him personally, but that's still something real.

There's just no reason to think they only like him because the media has pushed him as more electable other than wishful thinking.

Nook likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

People like Biden because the media keeps saying he is the most electable?

There is a whole lot of arrogance to unpack in this entire statement. It reminds me of the arrogance in the 2016 election a lot of democrats had.

It is very arrogant to assume that people support Biden because of the media, or to assume that people do not what he brings to the table.

It reminds me of what my brother said to me........ "People that do not support Sanders only do so because they don't understand his positions."

There are a lot of people that like Biden, they trust him and the believe in his moderate political positions. Does everyone like his moderate positions? No of course not....... but there is a large number of voters that want a moderate government and do not want the misery of Trump but also do not want the radical dogmatic approach of Bernie Sanders.

jcf, RayRay10, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why does blackenterprise.com have a Russian translation page?

Also, who is captain of the Black Enterprise... Worf?

dmoneybangbang likes this.