1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. andersongo

andersongo Member

D'Antoni is not sabotaging anything. Committing such a large part of the cap to CP3 is on the owners, not him. Doubling down and going full r****d by then trading CP3 for Westbrook is again on the front office. D'Antoni's much hated system has led the Rockets to historic offensive production and a CP3 hammy to glory. D'Antoni is not responsible for a stupid roster contruction.

HP3 likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is responsible with who plays and when.
    He is responsible for how those peices play and learn in "practice"

Rocket River

3. andersongo

andersongo Member

Or another way to say that he is responsible for arranging the deck chairs on the titanic. The Rockets roster as currently constructed does not make sense. Harden is a flawed player. Always said it ever since the heyday of the LOF wars. But you can still win with him as your centerpiece. He requires a secondary playmaker and shooters (as proved by D'Antoni two seasons ago), not Westie and the bricklayers.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Shooter Clemmons gets not playing time
    Hartenstein gets no playing time
    When house was healthy he got no playing time
    Now he injure/spooked/whatever cannot keep him off the court
    P.J.plays 36 minutes a game and scored about 3 pts a game
    All this is on him

Rocket River

Mr. Space City, lw17 and roslolian like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

"Stupid Roster Construction":

WB/Harden/Rivers
    Harden/Rivers/House
    EG/Bmac/House
    Tucker/House/Thabo
    Capela/Hartenstein/Chandler

Omg does that look like the worst roster ever created to you? It seems like 3rd best team in the West at worst to me. Apart from backup PF where there is a Melo/Bennett sized hole it seems pretty solid you got at least 2 man depth at every spot.

But thanks to the coach this is the lineup:

Wb/Rivers
    Harden/House
    House/bmac
    Tucker/EG
    Capela/Tucker

When the coach is a dumb dumb you will always lack depth. The rotation got trimmed down to 8 and we got midgets playing PF and center.

How come there is no historic offensive production when Harden doesnt have a Super Saiyan night? If the system is the one causing historic offensive production Rox should still score bananas when Harden has an mediocre night. The historic offense is due to James Harden not the system. Harden is the system if we got Jeremy Lin running MDA's system he wont be an MVP candidate like Harden.

Mr. Space City, lw17 and BigShasta like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

People just have to realize this system is not only what the Rockets as an organization (Morey and Les) wanted, it's also the system that fits better with the Rockets franchise player, and it's a system in which Mike fits too cause he was already the one who always went small and tried to spread the floor as much as possible to shoot more 3s, here's he's doing the same but in a different way because his main player is different then the one he had in Phoenix.

Then again i would also be curious to see a different coach here, but since a Bud/Pop/Carlisle/SVG isn't coming for different reasons, my guess is that it'll be another players coach so, i won't expect much of a change in terms of style of play, but a new coach could still have a better impact with his personality or be just better in some aspects, like actually extend the rotation, call better timeouts, develop the young players, complain less and do more...i mean, you never know.

7. andersongo

andersongo Member

Westbrook: Has turn into a bricklayer from 10ft+. Needs shooting around him to be able to get downhill vs half-court defenses. Great idea to trade for him.
    River: Notoriously inconsistent player
    Thabo: Is this 2013 again? Cause if it is he is still just a 3 & D player as every Thunder fan would have told you back then.
    House: The fact that you named Danuel twice does not change the fact that he is nothing but a ****-sure trash player. Gem in the rough better left uncovered.
    Chandler/Hartenstein: Are you ****ing serious?

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tilman was a normal fan before he became owner.

I am sure he wants to win it all, now I think he got tired of the business side of running a team, he got no clue that he has to pay for high end roleplayers.

Not the same as rooting for your team.

The expertise is lacking.

J Sizzle likes this.
  9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Ouch. Though hard to disagree. McHale would at least be able to see that Chandler is done. He just can't hustle enough anymore. Him and Clint, but I don't know what Capela's excuse is. How many bad 3s did the Rockets take, with absolutely no Rockets within camera shot of the basket? None of you guys can hustle to try and get a board?

I'm out on MDA. Even though it probably means flushing the season. This team is going nowhere, and I'm counting a 1st round flameout as nowhere, with the salaries and preseason expectations we had.

BigggReddd, snowconeman22 and lw17 like this.
  10. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I agree with most of this, but this gimmicky offense is Daryl Morey not MDA. MDA offense is more complicated with actual plays. Moreyball is solely designed to get Harden MVP trophies, not win championships

lw17 likes this.
  11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

My theory is that he’s already fired, and he knows it, (by virtue of not having his contract extended), and so he really doesn’t give a **** about this season and is just cashing paychecks. Tilman doesn’t want to pay the man for doing nothing, so we are stuck in limbo.

12. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

MDA yet again proved why he isn't a good coach. The Lakers were smart to double team Harden.... and yet our coach let's Lebron do what he wanted the whole of the 2nd half. All we had to do is double team Lebron like they did with Harden and we probably would have won the game.

lw17 likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It does not take much expertise to understand that 66% of your team being basically minimum contracts is unacceptable. You’re just not attempting to compete at that point.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. PrinceH

PrinceH Member

Dantoni did nothing wrong, when this chapter of Rockets history is closed the lack of a ring won't all be on him

Once he leave i can see a whole plethora of WC teams lining up to pick him up (Kings, Wolves, Suns, Pels), then they'll inevitably surpass us

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Bad logic. There are many teams (Raptors, Warriors, Bucks, etc) who were good, and wanted more from their coaching, and decided to move on from guys with known ceilings to great coaches with real schemes, and ascended to new heights.

Sure, not all their previous failings were on the coach, but the coach was a significant problem, and they decided to do something about it.

Rockets have the same opportunity.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Find another hill to die on.

Team got better after Melo let go last season, that is a fact.

HP3 and Gray_Jay like this.
  17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

MDA is responsible for not playing Harrell, for playing Luc in absolutely meaningless games thus causing critical injury for playoffs, for not playing Faried, for playing Shump wayyyyy too much, and for now overplaying multiple scrubs instead of Hart!!!!! You’re right, coach has nothing to do with our lack of trophies this decade with arguably one of the greatest players to play the game on our team.

roslolian likes this.
  18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Let me just add that I read Rick Pitino is looking for an NBA job....his strong suit is 3 pointers and defense. Not a boy scout, but could coach absolte circles around MDA and would add much needed discipline to our squad!!!

19. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I’m going to disagree and say it is the system!

first of all, it’s so easy to predict, hold everyone at the three point line, if they drive they are just going to pass to the three point line!
    Secondly, this isn’t the last 2-3 years where defenses were in the process of working out a scheme to defend Harden.....we are in the now, where the whole nba has finally cracked it! This whole season he is getting doubled at half court and his teammates can’t make an open three (funny enough it’s what the system is based on)

The lack of predictably and teams knowing his teammates can’t shoot consistently has crippled this offense!
    Time for something new!

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Cavs fire Blatt and hired Lue. They won that season.

has there ever been an example where a HC is fired and an outsider was hired midseason where the team win a championship?

firing MDA midseason is not going to fix this roster

#760 treyk3, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    D-rock likes this.