1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Sep 24, 2019.

1. dmoneybangbang

I was referring to the timing of the strike and new information regarding the impeachment coming to light.

2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Heh, "for the sake of the office"...

Trump indicates he'd block Bolton's testimony 'for the sake of the office'
    https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...d-block-boltons-testimony-for-the-sake-of-the

Yung-T and T_Man like this.
  6. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

That isn’t unreasonable is it? Exec Privilege should be honored as it was during the previous admin and should be for the next. It’s frustrating because I look forward to hearing Bolton’s testimony.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This is pure Executive Cover Up..

T_Man

AleksandarN, DaDakota and No Worries like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Executive privilege isn’t meant to shield the executive from wrong doing or to undermine Congress which is a coequal branch.

The same arguments were brought up regarding Eric Holder testifying and he was held in contempt for not.

Nook, mdrowe00, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure how much will actually come out of this but according to reports Collins is working with other Republicans to get witnesses. My own guess is that the trial will proceed as McConnell says with an opening presentations from the House Impeachment managers and Trump's defense. Only then will we see a vote for witnesses.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/tr...group-republicans-ensure-impeachment-n1113741

Sen. Susan Collins working with 'fairly small group' of Republicans to ensure witnesses at Trump's impeachment trial
    Collins refused to say how many GOP senators she's working with, but said "I am hopeful that we can reach an agreement" to proceed.

Jan. 10, 2020, 1:17 PM CST
    By Dareh Gregorian

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said Friday that she's been working with "a fairly small group" of Republican senators to make sure witnesses can be called in President Donald Trump's impending Senate impeachment trial.

"We should be completely open to calling witnesses," Collins told reporters in Bangor, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. She declined to say who or how many GOP lawmakers she's been working with, but said she was "hopeful that we can reach an agreement on how to proceed with the trial that will allow the opportunity for both the House and the president's counsel if they choose to do so."

Collins echoed those comments in a statement to NBC News and said, “It is important that both sides be treated fairly.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has said he plans to follow the model that was used in President Bill Clinton's impeachment trial. In that case, the two sides made opening arguments and took questions from senators before there was a motion to either dismiss the case or hear from witnesses. In the Clinton case, the motion to dismiss failed, and senators wound up taking videotaped depositions of three witnesses, portions of which were played at the trial.

McConnell has said he's working in "total coordination" with the White House on the trial, leading Democrats to charge that the majority leader plans to hold "sham" proceedings. Numerous Republican senators have said they don't see a need for witnesses to testify, despite former national security adviser John Bolton's recent offer to do so if subpoenaed.

Collins, a moderate Republican who is up for re-election this year, has criticized McConnell for his comments about working with the White House, and previously said she's "open" to calling witnesses. Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, has said he'd "love to hear" what Bolton has to say. Bolton's lawyer has said he has pertinent information about the White House's dealings with Ukraine that has not been disclosed publicly.

One person who doesn't want to hear from Bolton is the president who fired him (although Bolton maintains he resigned). In an interview with Fox News on Friday, Trump said he'd likely invoke executive privilege to limit his testimony.

"I think you have to, for the sake of the office," the commander-in-chief said, maintaining it was important for "future, I'm talking about future, many future presidents."

In her statement, Collins suggested she was fine with McConnell's call to follow the Clinton model, as long as it allows for witnesses. "I have had many discussions with some of my Republican colleagues on how we can adhere as closely as practical to the precedent for conducting the impeachment trial of President Clinton, which included as a third stage the decision on whether to call witnesses," she said.

Other moderate Republicans have sidestepped questions about potential witnesses, but just a handful peeling away could be the deciding factor. Republicans would need 51 votes to dismiss the case, and Democrats would need 51 votes to call witnesses. Republicans have a 53-47 majority in the Senate.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I could have faith in Collins to do anything other than just talk. I will be impressed with her if I'm wrong.

Nook, LabMouse, AleksandarN and 5 others like this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Some subjects should be subject to executive privilege and some not. I don't think executive privilege should mean you don't sit for questioning. The Senate and Chief Justice could work out rules with the president's lawyers and the House managers for which things are subject to privilege and which are not. And Trump's lawyers could object and get a ruling wherever there is a gray area. Probably would be frustrating for Democrats though because testimony reflecting Trump's motivations wouldn't be allowed despite being the most relevant.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

14. NewRoxFan

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Chuck Todd: But doesn't this put pressure on the Democrats? Are they going too far?? When does this backfire on Pelosi?

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Never about Trump being trump’s b**** as a matter of Mitch uses trump. This is all about power. Mitch only cares about one thing, maintaining power as long as he can. He is on a mission to appoint as many judges as he can before the time is up.

18. NewRoxFan

19. NewRoxFan

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member