1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which team won the trade: HOU or OKC, 6 months later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macan, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

OKC clearly got a good deal. Whether the Rockets got better (thus a win-win trade) remains to be seen. It depends on:

1. whether Westbrook can help us go far in the playoffs more than CP could
    2. how fast Westbrook will decline physically in the coming years

My fear is that Westbrook's contract will look worse than CP's a year from now. That's a scary thought. You can probably count in one hand worse contracts in the NBA than CP's.

daywalker02 and slothy420 like this.
  2. Victorious

Victorious Member

No, that was a bad trade for the Texans no matter how you slice it. But Billy has done well with moves after that

3. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Frankly, it's been funny seeing Eddie Johnson and other commentators taking shots at us recently for dropping Melo just because he's putting up decent numbers on a losing team when this trade is far more ripe for criticism. It's been a lateral move so far. Paul seems to have been a slightly better fit in our system than Russell but the final verdict will all depend on how we perform in the playoffs.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not too worried about the draft picks, they will be late rounders which are more like rolling a dice than flipping a coin. Sure, it's better to have that roll than to not have it but this is a team worried about the now, not 4 years later.

This trade will be about the playoffs and that's it, for the Rockets at least.

For OKC it is more than the draft picks but what happens with CP3? Clearly his future isn't with the team, they need to trade him while his value is high but like Love it's not an easy trade for teams to make with his contract. So I think it is trickier than it seems right now because what if they wait to trade CP3 later and he has a serious injury? Then what?

For me, I think it is a win for OKC if they can get a good trade out of CP3. I mean, they could keep him too if he wants to stay there but will that be a contender?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's a win win for okc. they have 15 1st round picks in the next 6 years. some of the picks okc got from houston, the rockets could very well be bad or rebuilding by then depending on what happens in the near future. So those picks may turn out to be pretty high.

And with that okc is still competing as a tough playoff team in the western conference, so okc still has reasons to be excited. Especially with a guy like SGA who obviously looks to be one of the future pieces of that team. they were a playoff team a year ago but without these future picks they got gifted with for 2 players. for the rockets, this was all about how they can perform in the playoffs. that remains to be seen

smp and tierre_brown like this.
  6. ilias

ilias Member

OKC got the better player, who also has the shorter and smaller contract. We extended our window by a year or two and got the higher upside player. It was a risky move. At this moment it seems OKC has won the trade,but this is all about the playoffs.

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It’s wild to me that anyone looks at this game and thinks Paul is better than Westbrook. And I say that as someone who generally prefers CP’s brains and his style of play. In a game where the Rockets couldn’t put the ball in the basket from 25 feet or 2 feet, Russ showed he can make a lot of good things happen.

If anything, the play of OKC’s supporting cast in this game suggests the Thunder got a better deal than is commonly acknowledged in the Paul George trade.

apollo33, JayGoogle, Plowman and 4 others like this.
  8. ReturnOfTheMac

Rockets got the younger player ( in his prime) , and that is less injury prone. Trading for Russ was the best opportunity for the franchise to get closer to a chip, rather than keeping CP. It’s easy to say “we lost the trade”, “ I miss CP” . Whatever you gonna say, I don’t miss CP having 8 points a game, constantly being hurt. Trading for russ was the best thing to do, and the right thing to do.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If I was a Thunder fan, I would be thinking where would we be with Russ/PG if GALLO was on that team. He has unlocked their spacing issues.

D-rock and Will like this.
  10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Didn’t watch the video, but the answer is both...

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Now having guards that can actually shoot certainly helps as well

Deuce likes this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

The season isn't halfway through. We'll see who's still standing at the beginning of the playoffs, then maybe it's worth addressing this question.

D-rock and JayGoogle like this.
  13. BigBum

BigBum Member

Okc won because of 4 Firsts.

14. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Knowing that Cp3 is injury prone. They should of had another good guard on the team like Schroder, george hill somebody that could put the ball in the basket to reduce Cp3 minutes. Then it would be 3 championships

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

unfortunately those guys don't come for the vet minimum though. LTS above all else!

#75 pippendagimp, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    J Sizzle and YOLO like this.
  16. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I'd say OKC and it's not close. I think CP3 is a slightly better player and better fit on the court.

For the "Russ is younger" crowd, his game appears to be declining just as quick as CP3's looked to be last year. He also has 1 more year on his deal.

Those are probably the two worst contracts in the NBA.

The big caveat is that if James is happier with Russ clanging shots than CP3 slowing down and still barking at him, then I guess that can be a win too.

If it was just Russ for CP3 straight up, I'd say it's fair to call it a push. Considering we gave up two firsts with two pick swaps, we got robbed. Though at least it wasn't as bad as we robbed OKC to get Harden.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

First day of free agency knowing we can’t afford anyone else. Lets go after MCW as our backup pg. lmfao. The things people tried to tell themselves on this board to justify that signing still remains cringeworthy

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we're looking for guys who can outplay their contracts! mr. fertitta has set the price!

YOLO likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What are we even debating here?

Chris Paul is universally considered to be having a better season, and the Thunder got multiple draft assets to boot.

slothy420 and daywalker02 like this.
  20. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Better off comparing the trade for Chris Paul vs the one getting rid of him, cuz we clearly lost to Okc when you factor in all those picks.