1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Hernandez found dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I don't think football or the NFL will go away either, but it'll make parents choose different team sports for their kids, especially Soccer. With that being said, Soccer could become a major sport in our country with a whole new generation of fanbase who look to role models of the sport they play in. I can see MLS surpassing the hockey/NHL in the future.

Just look at NBC force feeding us the Barclay's Premier League on Saturday mornings, or the amount of kids playing FIFA on Playstation, XBox, etc.

CTE is a major score for the MLS and other professional soccer leagues around the world

Yung-T likes this.
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Something tells me that all those headers the players go through will show some CTE in the long run. I remember reading somewhere that soccer was just as dangerous long term.

Crazy.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Congratulations on the stupidest post of the thread.

Nobody, not really even the "scholars of society" knew that CTE even existed prior to 2002. A risk that they take with "eyes wide open" is one that they begin take when they're literally freaking children without even having their brains developed yet. So, absent a time machine and the inconvenient fact that we don't really afford children the same legal rights to make decisions, your mighty riposte is a bit lacking.

Not to mention that CTE isn't just a disease of rich highly compensated, perfect-information having, risk-taking multimillionaires - amateur players (who are literally forbidden to be compensated for their risk-seeking by a wage-fixing cartel) are subject to it as well, all the way down to the high school level (and maybe even before).

Basically what you're saying is that dogfighting shouldn't be illegal, since dogs know the risks when they get in the ring with another dog - DOG FREEDOM AMERICA

#103 SamFisher, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

True, but concussion wise I think football takes the cake. You would think concussions would have a much more drastic affect (effect?) on causes of CTE

Most football players will have slight concussions and continue playing. Think about how many players and how many times a game this could happen in a single game

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Will the NFL end up in one lawsuit after another because of this, or is there a way for them to get this behind them? Because there would seem to be no end to it fairly or unfairly. I like the ide of exploring the liability, just so we have answers or accountability, but if it's one case after another seems like too much.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Football is obviously the worst.

I’d imagine pro wrestling was after that at some point. But after the whole Chris Benoit thing, at least WWE put into place some serious rules. Good on them.

But after that, I’m sure it’s soccer. At some point it will start coming out that all those headers cause brain diseases. In fact, a quick google search shows that in February of this year research already started coming out linking the two together.

I’m not too into boxing. So I have no idea about that. Are head blows allowed?

I don’t like any sport that involves hitting heads. Really dumb.

It’s not like there’s not a variety of alternative team sports for people to play. Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Cricket, hell even Rugby are better. Soccer is good except for the header aspect. They should abolish that ****.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Rocket River likes this.
  8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Not sure if serious but there was a lot more going on than just a dude pissing away his career and money, not to mention lives were taken.

That title would be more suitable to AB's future Netflix doc.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rocket River and YOLO like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thyeyre saving that title for the Antonio Brown story.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Aaron Hernandez doesn't like it when people be playin' on his phone!

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder how much they will talk about the head trauma

Rocket River

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dude just wanted to be a gangsta regardless of head trauma

Title: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong

Already taken

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. Buck Turgidson

16. Nook

Nook Member

I played football through high school and then different sports in college. I had at least 4 serious concussions by the time I was 16 from football. Hernandez played a lot of football as a kid so no doubt these issues existed but were exacerbated by playing in the NFL. Couple that with abuse in the home and likely natural impulse control issues and it isn’t a pretty picture.

Everyone sucked what they could out of him and hid or condoned his conduct because they profited off him.

Buck Turgidson and Sajan like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Like I said in the first sentence....

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I guess i have to take the head trauma seriously. Murder is stupid regardless but obviously the issues he had with the victim seem extreme even for someone trying to be gangsta despite succeeding at something like the nfl.

Its not that i dont take the concussion issue seriously, i just hate he threw all that talent away.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Don’t be a bleeding heart. The guy was a bad seed. It happens.