1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Wild Card Bills @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2019.

1. SemisolidSnake

Couldn't get half a yard to put the game away. Wholly-predictable run right up the middle into an entire horde of Bills, a play the Texans have shown they can't convert countless times over the years no matter what the stakes. That's just saying "I'm not even going to try; you can finish this one out, Defense."

I knew OT was coming as soon as they couldn't get that half yard. Not because our defense couldn't handle it but because defending a desperate team in the last minute of the game IS HARD. You have to defend the whole field, because the offense is throwing caution to the wind at that point. Anything that moves the ball is on the table. It's weird and unpredictable for a defense. Without that profoundly-stupid, football-gods-gifted 15-yd personal foul on the Bills in OT, the season is over for the Texans because BOB couldn't get his team half a yard to run out the regulation clock.

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

This aged well. Though at that particular time in the game, not sure how anyone could feel differently.

Seriously loved the win - deshaun avoiding that sack was absolutely insane.

the players pulled it off. Just wow. I’m rooting for them next week.

Fullcourt and Fulgore like this.
  3. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Dude was at the Rockets/Sixers game on Friday night hanging out on the Sixers bench.

Come on, Astroworld - show some Rockets love, too! :D

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This. While Vrabel is using dam near 2 minutes of clock with delay of game tactics.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What a rollercoaster. Was nice to see Houston come back and beat Buffalo this time. Go Texans!!

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I was at the game and thought the exact same thing...I wouldve taken the points, but again, I can understand wanting to close it out, but have an audible or pick something less predictable...Anyway, so glad they won...

desihooper likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep...when you have a mobile QB and you choose to restrict his mobility by running him right into a wall of defensive players, that is a head scratcher.

Fyreball, htownrox1, Nook and 3 others like this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

Going for it on the 4th and short to seal was game was the right decision in my opinion, but with the game on the line once they saw the Bills stacked up the middle they should've audibled or called a timeout to draw up something better. Have to be smarter in those situations, that sneak had zero chance before the snap even happened.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I was there too. I absolutely wanted them to go for it but not the way they did lol. If they kicked a field goal, the Bills would play for the win by going for a touchdown with over a minute on the clock. It played out well. If it worked game over. If it didn't, Bills would likely go for a tie with a FG and you have OT.

Nook likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seattle was faced with the same scenario yesterday... and they ended up throwing a deep ball to metcalf to ice the game.

Watson should have had the full playbook at his disposal. With them having three timeouts, you need to execute to get a first down... high percentage pass plays with short routes was all that was needed. Could have run any of their TE sets, the quick slant to Hopkins that they ran for 2, the running back flash route that resulted in a TD. Treat it like a goal-line situation where you have to score.

Hopefully they’ll be in this situation again and again enough to improve from it...

Fyreball, Nimo and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

They do need to work on it and improve on it to the point it is second nature for Watson. There were times this season where it looked like BOB needed to take the training wheels off and let Watson run the offense.

Nick likes this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well the other thing is that if BoB ran QB sneaks often like the pats for instance then the execution would have been better. Who knows how many times Watson or the o line have run a QB sneak before. Not a lot given we never see it in the game. With the game on the line, he chooses to run that play?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There’s a lot more structure in this years offense mainly because it’s not Watson running for his life every pass play as it was last year (Saturday not withstanding).

Watson also has improved his ability to make reads at the line... something that doesn’t come naturally to all QB’s and is almost more important than athleticism or arm strength.

He’s still on track to get to the point where he has full command... but as Saturday showed, he still can get a little jittery back there as well.

Nook likes this.
  14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Yeah this was the first thing I thought as well. You could have literally ran any other play and it would have resulted in a better outcome. Screen Pass? Pitch? A sweep? Fake a end around? Nah lets run a QB into a brick wall. :rolleyes:

Fyreball, Nook and bobrek like this.
  15. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

To be precise, it was 3 downs left and Buffalo still had 2 timeouts. But I agree with you, BOB could of been more creative. Watson should of been allowed to run to the flat or thrown quickly to Hop on 4th down instead of running right up the middle. I know running plays are safer and eat up more clock, but the first down was critical here.

coachbadlee likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Screen pass? Have you ever seen them run a screen pass to a running back? It is mind boggling to me that their main problem is pass blocking and one way to slow down a rush is to run a screen pass, yet they continue to ignore that basic play.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Hopefully they don't have this problem next week

Nook likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Most of them on Singletary who was gashing the Texans all day.

why they decided to just start throwing non stop, including the overtime, warrants extreme criticism if I was a Buffalo fan.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Difference...Seattle had an 8 point lead. You be more aggressive in that situation.