1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Coach Since Rudy T?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Nov 27, 2019.

?

Who is the Best Coach Since Rudy T?

1. Jeff Van Gundy

28 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Rick Adelman

78 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. Kevin McHale

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. J. B. Bickerstaff

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Mike D'Antoni

34 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok MDA made Jeremy Lin a star for like 15 games, did you know when Cp3 got injured in New Orleans and Darren Collison replace him he averaged 13 and 5 for like 7 games as a rookie? Omg Byron Scott is a genius made a scrub into another Cp3!

All this proves is MDA has a great system when he has the right players and those players buy into that. How many coaches have that though? Pops won rings when TD bought into it. Spo won 2 rings when Lebron and Wade bought into his system, Phil Jackson won 11 rings when MJ, Shaq and Kobe bought into his system etc. That's not an achievement that is normal.

In fact thats a slap to the face of MDA both Nash and Harden bought into his system and he hasnt gotten a ring yet. There is no team that embodied MDA system more than Nash Suns and they didnt win a ring in like 7 tries or w/e despite having best seed multiple times. To me thats just a system that has a ceiling and is flawed.

And systems are just 1 part of coaching what about adjustments? MDA didnt even bother to find out which of his players can play until injuries struck is that the best the Rox has had ever?

A young Rick Adelman (he was like 70 when he got here) or JVG easily takes a dump on MDA coaching wise. If those guys had the roster we had these last couple of years we probably got a ring by now.

#61 roslolian, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  2. Remlap

Remlap Member

I see. So if a coach doesn't have a ring, he's TRASH. (That means MOST coaches are TRASH according to your requirements)
    Even if his team went toe to toe, 7 games against what has been labeled as 'the greatest team ever assembled'

So, I've asked other MDA bashers this question, and I'm curious as to your answer

If you feel MDA is trash and should be replaced, who would YOUR choice be as a replacement
    to take us to the promised land?

(PS: I've already heard Dave Joerger and JVG. LOL. Hopefully you have a more sensible answer)

fckbandwagons likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

This thread is about best coach ever not no rings = trash. Both JVG and RA have no rings so I dunno where you get that statement. Why are you making straw man arguments?

And yes Dave Joerger and JVG are better coaches than MDA all day any day.

Let me ask you though, do you think Frank Vogel is the 2nd best Lakers coach ever? His Lakers team has the 1st seed, 19-2 record so are you saying that is all him? Because you keep pretending that team record is all due to the coach. Do you think Mike Brown is an amazing coach? His Cavs record 2005-2010 is better than MDA's Rox record, oh what an amazing coach that dude is according to your logic.

4. Remlap

Remlap Member

You never answered my question. You've already made it clear, you think MDA is a
    product of his star players (like POP and Phil Jackson)

But, you want to see MDA replaced (you may get your wish as MDA was not offered an extension)

So, who is your star candidate that can surpass a .700 winning percentage and take us to the promised land?
    You want to lead the charge to rid us of our coach. Then offer a solution.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Adelman was better but like MDA his weakness was in game adjustments.

MDA was pretty good in the 65 win year.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm aware. Still don't care. Rick was not the coach taking you to the promised land. He got killed by MDmA practically every game back then. Where were his adjustments?

And no. MDA had that squad clicking like a well oiled machine. No one else makes a CP/Harden combo THAT effective. You're ignoring far too much. I'm so sorry MDA couldn't overcome an injury to his second guy against the 5 all star Golden State Warriors in game 5, but he was up against the defending champs 3-2. Don't forget that. Don't forget that he took on a team that was in FIVE STRAIGHT finals with one leg. So sorry he failed us with that gift of a game 6/7 roster. He owes you an apology, eh?

No one comes close to MDA... give it up. The 22 game winning streak was great and all, but we were 5th in the conference with that win streak and lost in the first round. Blame injuries if you want, but that's not an excuse MDA makes in the regular season. He just rides Harden and his offense on the backs of G-Leaguers and still wins.

7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

So Adelman failing to make the playoffs is a point in his favor?
    Adelman also failed to make the playoffs his last few years of his career in Minnesota.

That team didn’t have all stars or a lot of talent, but let’s not forget it had Kyle Lowry who went on to become an all star with another coach and champion, Luis Scola who looked like the MVP in intenational play for his country, Shane Battier who was outstanding as a glue guy and intelligent player as well as Kevin Martin, who although he was a paper defender could put up points and contribute. That team was what it was, a team that lacked talent to win but could put up a fight. Adelman did the best he could but he did fail to reach the playoffs with that team, it’s not a point in his favor imo.

Also, Ewing as JVG’s best player?
    Those teams had Allan Houston, Laterell Sprewell, Marcus Camby who was a beast defensively and even role players like Larry Johnson who contributed in the playoffs. Although Yao and Tmac were rarely healthy, in 04-05 they both played 78 and 80 games that season. That team won 53 games but never came close to a 65 win record or a historic offense or defense. They also lost in the first round to the Mavericks with Yao and Tmac playing the full series under JVG.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...ference-first-round-rockets-vs-mavericks.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2005.html

In NYC, Melo had a history with clashing with coaches, like George Karl who blasted him in his book.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...rmelo-anthony-in-upcoming-book-furious-george

The LA team lost against the Spurs with Parker, Ginobilli, Duncan and a young Kawhi Leonard who went to the finals going seven games against the LeBron superteam Miami. They won the championship the next year. Kobe also didn’t even play in the playoffs due to tearing his Achilles right beforehand. So he played a dynasty and lost his best player before the series.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/apr/13/kobe-bryant-achilles-injury-la-lakers
    https://www.basketball-reference.co...n-conference-first-round-lakers-vs-spurs.html

D’Antoni’s worst runs with a single team had better winning records than Adelman’s worst runs.
    Adelman had a .402 and .422 winning records in Golden State and Minnesota. He never made the playoffs in all his five full years at both franchises.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/adelmri01c.html

Neither Adelman or JVG have won 65 games in a season, neither have been a part of a historic offense twice or even once. MDA has the highest winning percentage here in Houston of those three. And only D’Antoni helped create a system to help Nash take MVP twice, he also helped Harden to take MVP in his system. Although Adelman and even JVG were excellent coaches, the numbers and the play shows MDA is the best coach in Houston since Rudy T, we can agree to disagree here.

#67 OkayAyeReloaded, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Rocket River likes this.
  8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Adelman and Van Gundy.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm pretty sure, the Rockets, if not for injuries and trades, I'm pretty sure we win 1 or 2 with Adelman.

10. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I'll never forget JVG having Yao Ming's back and going nuclear on the league and the Mavs. He got my vote.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

Rockets had some decent coaches. Several high profiled. JVG, Adleman, MDA and McHale. Most Rox fans would also be OK with a no name if that no name got us results. If Nick Nurse blew up here instead of Toronto. Or we promoted Tibs and gave him his first head coaching job.

Adleman and MDA's high offense number system can be attractive to certain players, their numbers would jump. JVG and McHale worked with big men prior. I'd cut Bickerstaff some slack and out of the convo since he was an interim.

From a coaching standpoint, the one coach that is barely competent is McHale. Not even just the X/O's, he just wasn't very good. On the recruitment side, his relationship with Minny or Boston didn't land us anyone significant.

The players play the game. Coaching, while impactful, is limited by the on-court talent (roster, the competition). Also try to judge them in the era they were in. Some of the players, Adleman inherited was already developed by Rudy and JVG, and he benefited from a decent defensive system, which then added offense to. Adleman, later got Kevin Martin, (3's and free throws), which by Daryl's admission was a prototype they followed and went all in for a Harden-like player.

As far as pure coaching:
    JVG, Adleman, MDA, JBick .... McFail.

#71 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Rocket River likes this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I hope the next rebuild we do, we hire a young promising coach instead of gunning for the old ones set in their ways.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We already did.

[​IMG]

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sorry but this is nonsense.

The way we think of coaching in terms of awards over a medium to short timespan is generally " hey which team did we think would suck but actually didn't!?'

This is how coach of the year award is determined.

But when we rank "coaching greatness" to the extent it's a thing based on cumulative achievement, regardless of the loaded squads . Phil Jackson Red Riley etc etc

A "young" Michele Danito was playing an uptempo game with a laughable Nuggets squad a long time ago. These teams were brutally bad.

Nevertheless he persisted and brought the same approach to the mid 00s Suns that not only produced the best team in the league,bit ushered in the entire pace & space revolution that governs the modern game.

For the record I think the Long view of a coach's accomplishments are better metrics. Danito's COTY award from 17 is mostly a function of Hardens preternatural brilliance.

His Godfatheringn of a revolution in terms of the way the games played is very significant, and a huge achievement. Very HOF coaches can claim this.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Go to the old threads of "Fire Rick Adelman thread".