1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Laremy Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

56.1%
  2. NO

43.9%
  1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

For someone who "doesn't like BOB" you sure do everything to defend him

red5rocket, Nook and maw7079_2000 like this.
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it's a combination of everything. Even with Tunsil, the line is better but still not that good. Miami had the worst offensive line WITH Tunsil, so I don't know how we'd think the be the automatic solution for everything.

Watson holds on to the ball too long. Our play calling sucks. Our scheme sucks. We don't know how to pick up a blitz. Also, without going in and actually analyzing it, I feel like we're keeping fewer people in to help block this year because "the line is supposed to be better".

Add in that yes, the line needs time to gel and we've had 4 different line configurations in 4 games so it's not a surprise that Watson is still getting hit and still getting sacked at an alarming rate.

Nook, JayGoogle and gucci888 like this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't think it's (exclusively) playcalling - Watson is not checking down to his hot reads to counter blitzes/pass rush; those are absolutely available (by design - ie playcalling) and he's simply not utilizing them. I don't know why but you can sense BO'B's growing frustration with it - he flat-out said last night the OL was responsible for only one sack (I don't know if I buy that but it's what he said) - that's a fairly direct finger-point in Watson's direction.

Watson has to learn that 4-5-yard gains are *good*. 2nd down and 6 is *good*. Throwing to a TE is OK... This is, IMO, the Texans' most critical issue right now.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the Oline is good, I know I'm going to get flack for this, but think about it.

We can't say Watson holds the ball too long and the line being bad, that just doesn't add up. He's getting time, some times he's even back there all day tbh, he has to make smarter decisions.

I think you are probably right there, I don't know if the oline gave up one sack lol, I know at least two one where Tunsil got beat and the other blitz that came late in the game because no one picked up the DB but B'OB is probably right there.

If it is a Watson issue then it is a bit worrying, he does have to get rid of the ball quicker but there are plays where every route run is a short one and I think the coach could help the team out by forcing it on Watson sometimes.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

The big question, right now, is *why* isn't Watson hitting those underneath safety routes? They are absolutely there; watch any highlight; you'll see them. Is that a coaching issue? Or a Watson issue? He was *much* better at it last year, likely owing to him recognizing the need to play safer and more conservative from a health standpoint.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

This was the problem the national media people had with Tunsil in the first place. That even if he is good, and he has been pretty good so far, he doesn't solve the core issue of Watson, which he hasn't.

One can blame Watson, sure, but if the issue was Watson then the remedy should've been to change the offensive scheme to let Watson get rid of the ball quicker, not improve slightly an offensive line that doesn't help Watson not get hit.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

BoB is part of the organization is he not? He's basically upper management. He claimed he has a say in personnel decisions beside the one where he was "forced to accept Brock". Stop acting like Gm Smith forced the team down BoB's throat without any say. BoB relied so much on defense to carried his ass and allowed our oline to decay to sht. Even after Gm smith left, the line didn't get any better with handpicked BoB's Gm.

BoB is part of the problem, u just refuse to see it, BoB defender.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No, but the blame is not just on O’Brien. It has been an entire organizational problem.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And good linemen fall off trees? The problem is there haven’t been many Good Linemen in FA (The few are overrated and overpaid). Teams don’t trade good linemen. Texans had use draft picks to gid rid of Brock and get Watson. Gaine didn’t give up the 3rd to get Dillard.

Rick Smith and Gaine share the blame with O’Brien.

Perfect storm. Howard and Scharping seem to be a start, as well getting Tunsil. You have to give players time to gel, especially when they are rookies involved.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Without reading much of the more recent posts, I think you are absolutely correct.

I think you can see O'Brien actually trying to instill this in Watson by the uptixk of five yard designed passes lately.

11. King1

Of course it is. I hold ownership responsible too. This is not a good product. For as loyal as the fan base is, the Texans do the bare minimum. All the cap space in the world and we do nothing. We don't build through the draft. We let guys like Bouye walk. We have no gm. It costs us dearly in the Tunsil and Clowney deals. It makes no sense.

I want a Superbowl win or at least a chance. I'm sure everyone who posts here outside of trolls do. We aren't getting that with the current regime. We waste our superstars.

Follow the Astros model imo. I was willing to put up with the losing to have this product on the field. That's what I want from the Texans. Sorry for the mini rant but at the end of the day I understand that you are probably a passionate fan too and I wanted you to see exactly where I was coming from.

12. Hey Now!

Here's the thing... the scheme - it works. We know this. We saw it work in NO; we saw it work in LA. Those weren't flukes. And I don't think Jax and Car were flukes, either. I think those are very good defenses and those coaches outmaneuvered/coached BO'B.

The issue seems to be execution. For example - the Hopkins pass. It was an indefensibly bad call. But! Hopkins should have NEVER thrown that ball. His receiver was covered (Akins, BTW, was wide open); throw it into the back of the end zone and let your best playmaker have more shots at it. That's execution. I don't think they're properly executing consistently.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Since the 2016 draft the Texans have spent:

3 first round picks
    3 second round picks
    1 third round pick
    1 fourth round pick

ALL on the offensive line....

That is a TREMENDOUS amount of assets for only 5 positions.... to fill 5 positions they have spent 6(!) first or second round picks since the 2016 draft.... spending that type of capital the Texans should have a top 2-3 offensive line.

For comparison sake, the Dallas Cowboys have had one of the best offensive lines for the last 3-4 years. Since 2010 the Cowboys have spent LESS on their line that the Texans have and that is over 9 seasons compared to the Texans 4 seasons!

14. Hey Now!

I like Watson a lot. But he strikes me as a guy who'd rather throw a 50-yard touchdown than ten 5-yard passes that result in a TD. That's not a knock or criticism because he has the talent to make those 50-yard plays and I'm glad he has that mentality. But it feels like - to me - ...he had a *very* conservative '17 and then maybe he heard a little too much about Pat Mahomes in the offseason and is now trying to push it to get to that level, and it's forcing riskier decisions, such as not settling for 4-6-yard chunks of valuable yardage.

15. Nook

Nook Member

One thing to keep in mind......... O'Brien just dropped 3 #1's and 2 #2's on the offensive line this summer. While Cal McNair is close to BOB, he has to be aware that his "franchise QB" is still being hit a lot and being sacked too often. The finger is going to be pointed at BOB as he spent a lot of resources on the issue and it isn't fixed (although I do think it is better than it was last year). What we know about BOB is that he does not like to take blame and has a history of blaming others in the organization to save his own butt. So seeing him say it isn't the lines fault is not a shock to me.

I personally think it is a combo of various issues. Poor play calling, lack of experience on the line, a QB that has some issues getting rid of the ball and a lack of a consistent running game. However I don't think that BOB is defending the line because it has been great, he has personal reasons.

King1 likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

There could be some truth to him trying to push too hard. There hasn't been a lot of consistency for the offense so he is always in a position where he feels he needs to force things. Also he is "close" a lot of times to deep plays and completions and I am sure that has to be hard to not always go for.

17. Hey Now!

I really dislike disingenuous comparisons like this that are lazily manufactured to spark outrage. This is third season together for 4/5 of the Cowboys' offensive line (Smith, Frederick, Martin and Collins have all been there since 2016). By contrast, 3 of the Texans' starters are new this year.

And for 2016-2018, that offense revolved around Elliot, not the QB. Dallas ranked 30th, 29th and 21st in pass attempts those three years and 1st, 5th and 10th in rushing attempts.

It's just not a remotely fair 1:1 - LOOK AT THE PICKS!! comparison. I'm not suggesting the Texans can get the Cowboys' level, nor am I suggesting they shouldn't ultimately be held to that standard. But right now, the standard should be better than last year, overall, and getting better as this season progresses. It certainly shouldn't be: as good as one of the best OLs in recent memory. That's absurd.

18. Hey Now!

He has big play potential and the Texans would be committing malpractice to squash it. So they don't. He's not drawing up plays in the sand. The game plan is to push downfield. Watson's issue sure seems to be if it's not there.... he's going to give it a 2nd... and 3rd opportunity for it to open up. Meanwhile, his pocket is collapsing....

He needs to be content to dump balls and pick up valuable yardage. Frankly, if he hit more of those, teams would move in on him and open it up deeper. If not, dink and dunk to a TD. Got Russell Wilson a ring and a super-rich deal....

19. King1

And the inexplicable Nick Martin contract

raining threes, Sooty and Nook like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

It absolutely is fair.

It is about how much capital has an organization spent on a position (or positions).

You make a good point about the Cowboys running the ball a lot though.

The Cowboys were also one example...... I have not gone through every single team, but I suspect there are very few, if any teams that have spent as much draft capital on the offensive line, as the Texans have since 2016.

Are you aware of any other organizations that have spent as many draft picks on the offensive line over the last 3-4 seasons? How good is their line?

Do you think a team that spends three #1's, three #2's, one #3 and one #4 to fix 5 starting spots should be very good on the line?

I know I do.

That doesn't even get into the money that the Texans just gave Martin and will shortly be giving Tunsil.

Also you are correct this is the 4th season that 4/5 of the Cowboys offensive line has been together.

Do you know how good the Cowboys offensive line was 4 years ago when they all started playing together? The best, they were roundly considered the best offensive line in the NFL. At worst they were top three in the NFL. How good is the 2019 Texans offensive line?