1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Eric Gordon likely to start at SF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 11, 2019.

1. fattz

fattz Member

We need to get and keep his trade value as high as possible. If starting help his value than he needs to start. Help pad the man’s stats by making sure he gets his and some of yours, too. Make him look like the 3rd star we have be longing for. Then move him ASAP for player with some size and front court skills that complements our stars to keep our championship window open.

RichieBanks likes this.
  2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This is why I don’t trust MDA.

Stubborn like donkey.

Why we always try to run midgets lineup?
    MDA needs to watch how USA small lineup get destroyed by France.

fattz likes this.
  3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So this is why Rockets did not sign any good SF?

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

NBA 2K20 still rate Gordon 78 after starting last season. Obviously they still think he is not that good.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. Moahst

Moahst Member

What is the alternative to starting EG at the 3? Danuel House? I think this is the only move.

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Rockets always want to start Gordon.
    I guess that’s why they didn’t sign a good SF.
    Defense would be big problem since we are too short. I am fine with starting House anyway.

7. fattz

fattz Member

He has value to this team but we need, so need help at the big forward so we can move Tucker to 3. Gordon has been our X factor for the last couple of seasons so moving him will be felt. We have no other trade pieces other than Capela (okay contract in a area of need & good fit). Our options are somewhat limited.

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

EGO isn’t starting at the 3. If he starts he’s the 2

1-WB
    2-EGO
    3-Beard
    4-PJ
    5-Cap

That leaves the bench a bit anemic from a scoring punch standpoint but if MDA can keep 2 of WB, Beard, EGO on the floor at all times I suppose that doesn’t matter. My concern is the 4 if we aren’t getting a 3D wing. PJ can’t do it on his own and we need size and rebounding.

Cstyle42 likes this.
  9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Defense is a big concern.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

positions are defined by defensive assignments. harden is the 3 and was last year too.

harden, tucker and house will split minutes at the forward spots. Westbrook, gordon and rivers will split minutes at the guard spots.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You made me laugh with that. Hahaha
    Too funny.

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

exactly. not sure why people seem to still be stuck on actual labels as far as position in this era. majority of the guys are interchangeable and the switch everything scheme is an emphasis on being position less and versatile

jcmoon and don grahamleone like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The title of this thread made me laugh. I love the subtle sarcasm. [The Athletic] Eric at SF. Houston we have a [Shorty] Forward.

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I agree but that won’t be addressed with FA signings or via trade anytime soon. This is the squad we go with at least until Dec.

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I think the lack of size at the the PF and SF worries fans more than the labels. I mean we dropped from 3rd in defensive rebounding percentage in 17-18 to 28th in 18-19. That's pretty drastic. That's just too many second chance opportunities to a give an elite offensive team. The defense is a major concern as well.

The Rox are going to have to deal with a few very large and talented from courts if they want to win it all or even get to the WFC. That's what worries me. Losing Ariza/Luc left a hole in the roster that still hasn't been addressed imo. Unless House can shoulder the load off of the bench. He's going to have to provide some serious defense, rebounding, consistent 3 point shooting and IQ and I think fans, myself included will breathe a little easier.

If Gary Clark/Bennet can provide quality at the backup 4 this year that would ease my mind as well. How Clark and House develop this year could be the difference between a ring and another disappointing exit.

Sen89, fattz and YOLO like this.
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Id prefer House.

AceOfSpades and PeterKingX like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

we've known the rockets lack size at the wing position ever since ariza/moute left. what have they done about it? that's what mostly everyone has been waiting for. but lets not act like EG in the lineup hasn't been successful. you know what you're getting from him. you don't from anyone else. that's the questions that need to be answered as the season goes on

don grahamleone and BaselineFade like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

At this point, would take Brewer for vet min. Tucker needs to stay fresh for playoffs and Brewer was successful playing alongside both Beard and Brodie.

Cannot teach championship pedigree, length and hustle. Even at 33, Brew is a Tasmanian Devil on both ends of the floor.

Sanctity, jcmoon and PeterKingX like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Small dude ball to the death I guess.

20. fattz

fattz Member

It doesn’t have to be Brewer but a Brewerish player would be nice. A G-leaguer with a nose for the ball and feel for the ark with some hustle would work. If we could add B-ball IQ = House 2.0

D-rock likes this.