1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who faced tougher defenders/defenses? Jordan or Harden? Debate/Poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Sep 1, 2019.

?

Who faced tougher defenders/defenses?

1. Harden

2. Jordan

3. Jordan faced tougher defenders

4. Jordan faced tougher defenses

5. Harden faced tougher defenders

6. Harden faced tougher defenses

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Everyone always acts like today's players, Curry, Durant, Lebron, Harden, Westbrook are 'GOAT' status. No way. Anyone who has played past about 2000 has played in the creampuff era. It's what the NBA wants to be, it's what the NBA is. What they're doing is still 100% skill, but they're not facing the same physical game.

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Wow no mention of Jordan having to face Vernon Maxwell? I don't even know how Harden would do against the craziest man I have ever seen put on a Rockets Jersey.

napalm06 likes this.
  3. dejamike

dejamike Member

I think Harden faces tougher teams and Jordan faced tougher players.

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Team defenses these days are way tougher than in the 90s because of analytics. The series vs the Jazz is a good example of the extremes teams go to try to stop James Harden.

Jordan played in an era where players are allowed to push people out of the air without getting ejected most players didn't want to get a tech because of the fine, even then Jordan got every whistle because he was the face of the league. Just like Harden in the regular season, if you breathed on Jordan, you get called a foul (ofcourse, most fans these days who are too young don't know that at all).

plutoblue11 likes this.
  5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Tougher players such as?

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The bad boy Pistons and 90s Knicks wanted to hurt and maim Jordan...

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

I appreciate the effort there @Air Canada but as a Rockets fan, how do you leave out Vernon Maxwell?!?! A guy MJ admitted was one of the toughest he had to face? In fact, you seem to have quite some PGs in there who didn't even necessarily guard MJ. MJ faced Mitch Richmond and later Sprewell who are actually SGs rather than tiny Tim on that Warriors team, two much better, tougher and taller defenders.

You're also forgetting some other very hard-nosed defenders in Kendall Gill, Bryant Stith and maybe an actual tough PG defender in Stockton. Then there's the casual throw in of Draymond Green. If you're going to put him in that list, then you might as well throw some bigs from MJ's era like Rodman in there since he occasionally got switched out on MJ too. To me this shows your bias and while maybe not intentionally, it does hurt your argument of MJ facing smaller guys and worse defenders than Harden.

While there is definitely an argument to be made that the current generation of players Harden has to face are taller, stronger and even better 1-on-1 defenders, you're forgetting one thing about that hand check: players were allowed to physically push a guy and try to steer him where they wanted the offensive player to go. Imagine guys getting in Harden's grill, putting a hand on his hip and steering him. Harden is strong, but that beating MJ took would've taken a toll on Harden too. His reliance on the referees and FTs would've suffered.

It will always remain inconclusive since there's no way of telling which individual defenders were better, what the rules or type of defenses would've done for each player in a different era. However, it is clear as day that MJ faced tougher defenses and defenders given the rules and mentality back then. I didn't say better, tougher, so I answered MJ faced tougher defense.

#47 JW86, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree. Just because players hammered a ball handler in the head and acted like they were going for the ball, doesn’t
    necessary mean better (tougher) defense. Sometimes smarter defense is tougher defense.

Back then one player provided help defense and most everyone else stood their ground.....maybe one rotation beside help defender. Now you get multiple rotations and exotic schemes.....meaning smarter. This can be done because of guys defending halfway between one player and another. Cuts the distance covered in half. Well in theory anyway.

Air Canada likes this.
  9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Are you talkin about Lebron or MJ? Because I watched 90's basketball and can tell you that's false. Back then the game was slower & ten times more physical, so you almost had to have a few go to moves just to get your shot off. So either your trollin or just fabricating how much old school basketball you watched

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Sports evolve over time. The average player today is significantly stronger, faster, and longer than back in Jordan’s day, and as long as the popularity of the sport continues to grow, that trend will continue.

Players from the past would have an extremely tough time against a modern defense. If Jordan could shoot the 3 the way Harden does, he would have averaged 50 points a game instead of 35.

The only reasons these comparisons still exist is because old people who pay a lot of money for entertainment want to believe them. The league in 20 years will make almost every current player look bad in comparison, but we’ll continue to compare.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

harden has better youtube highlights, so i will vote for harden.

can jordan even beard?

smoothie_king likes this.
  12. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Agreed. The overall pool of talent in the NBA back then was smaller and way less efficient than what you see now. 80% of the guards in the NBA in the 90's wouldn't make an NBA team now, because they weren't taught to shoot the 3. If you could place Harden in that era (in a vacuum, with no adjustments), he'd average at least 40 a game. For those who say that way less fouls were called back then, MJ averaged 8.2 FTA/game in his career, Harden 8.5. Either way, maybe players were "tougher" back then, but defenders now are way more technically sound and athletic. It's not really a fair comparison.

Air Canada likes this.
  13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

when harden was in the finals back in what 2012?!

Let's see harden came off the bench so I guess he faced maybe udonis haslem,norris cole, and shane battier. james jones !?

Notice how you have to put all these pre-condiions on the comparisons. Gee I guess that's because Jordan and harden don't necessarily belong in the same class or category. Basically They not on the same level.

#53 smoothie_king, Sep 2, 2019
  14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I watched every bucket MJ made against the Pistons in the offs in his last 3 series against em.... That wasn't tough defense... There was the occasional tough hard foul, but he got numerous uncontested shots.... Or blow by layups

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm sorry KD, Giannis, Steph, Harden, and LeBron would be unguardable under the older rules against most teams. There were teams with good defenders and defenses. But, a bad team with trash defenses, like the Clippers, Warriors, Raptors, and Kings would be allowing some record breaking performance.

It's like saying Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, or Gronk would do worse in the 70s/80s against smaller, slower, simpler schemes, and not as strong DBs, because of contact rules.

16. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I didn't put Mad Max because MJ didn't play against him nearly as much in the East... Barely had to face him and never had to go thru the Rockets... I named a few PGs that were considered elite defenders that he faced or had to get past....

Richmond didn't play against MJ a lot... Was on bad teams out West... Never faced him in the offs... Same can be said for Spree... I meant to put Penny Hardaway.

Also those Warriors teams were among the worst defenses in the league damn near every year of MJs career.

I MENTIONED elite guard defenders...

Not even close.... Harden is guarded and contested often by Draymond... Every game they play... In switches... In isolation..etc... Go watch any Harden game against the Warrios and it's a regular occurrence... Dray, Klay, Iggy, and KD all guard him... All good to elite defenders.... Go watch MJ against the Pistons(I've watched plenty) ... He's barely ever checked by Rodman and the few times he did on the perimeter it was a terrible blow by with little resistance.

nonsense... That wasn't often... Most games he's getting by the first defender with barely a grasp on him... Hahd checks like you described were illegal and you can see MJ getting numerous hand check fouls called... Less in the offs, but many of his jumpshots the oppositon doesnt contest or doesn't even get a hand up.

You missed the whole point.... When I said tougher in OP I obviously meant better.... Tougher as in more difficult given their skillset and opposing players and schemes... I thought that was clear what I meant.

#56 Air Canada, Sep 2, 2019
  17. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Basically this was a dumb post lacking basic comprehension and what pre conditions? Do you grasp what the topic is? What a dumb comparison... Let's compare him as a 3rd option back as a sixth man with limited shot opportunities to a starter with a neon green light.

18. dejamike

dejamike Member

Players in general we’re able to “get away” more in terms of being a bit more physical towards the offensive player.

19. MystikArkitect

Bigger....and stronger....?

Whut?

20. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

I dont care.