1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California High School Students: Not Racists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

"We joking to trigger libs!"

This is what you people all say until one of you people do a mass shooting.

2. Nook

Nook Member

No, I never said nothing should be done about it. What I said is that it is not worthy of being a major news story.

My position hasn't changed at all.

3. Nook

Nook Member

What happened?

4. Nook

Nook Member

Keep throwing those straw men out there.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right, my point was your initial of "who gives a ****?" effectively had an implication of "no big deal, nothing should be done about it". You clarified that a bit in the post you responded to.

I'm not sure I'd classify this as a major news story, though I guess front page of The Daily Beast is a thing. It's more than not a new story. It does sound like from the article that its unclear what level of discipline there was (if any) or if there was the appropriate response to the district as a whole. My kids are in elementary school, for instance, but I get fairly regular updates on any happenings that are relevant throughout the district.

Beyond all that I think there are other differences between say your potential hypothetical and this video which may make it more newsworthy. Not necessarily more of an immediate "threat" or the like to overall safety, but more newsworthy.

Nook likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Betty Wh... oh wait, that's racist. My apologies to the young Nazis.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. calcium

calcium Member

I think Hitler is kind of special cos, you know, genocide and all.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I hated the pledge too, but COME ON. :cool::cool::cool::D

Genocide double bad.

Keeping the trains on time...I could leave a decent yelp review for it.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Eh, not going to talk about it on the internet. Probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

10. Carl Herrera

More non-racists just joking around having fun. boys will be boys etc.

11. adoo

adoo Member

"10 members of the boys’ water polo team at Pacifica High School in Garden Grove, California"

Demographically, Garden Grove is 33% whites, 21% Asian, while all other groups are less than 10%. It had been represented by a Latina Congresswoman for 10 terms; she then ran for the US Senate and was soundly defeated by Kamala Harris.

GG has a burgeoning Korean American community. its neighbor, Westminster, home of "Little Saigon" has the largest Vietnamese American population in the US. the less-than-progressive white residents in these suburbs are uncomfortable w the relatively large presence of Asians. they feel encircled

CometsWin likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

13. Nook

Nook Member

Well whatever it was I’m sorry your child had to see it.

JuanValdez likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Okay?

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you have issues with topics discussing the radicalization of a segment of white males in the US?

16. Nook

Nook Member

No, why would I? I have posted numerous times against The Proud Boys, White Supremacy and racism in the world and In particular the USA.

The choice to post it in this thread is odd. Even more odd is to repeatedly post what other people have done and to throw straw men on the fire over and over.

CometsWin likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Why is it odd? I don't get that part of your argument. You act as if radicalized young boys in high school need underground Nazi cult meeting for it to be a concern. When in reality online white supremacist content is all they need. I bet these kids watch YouTube videos of the likes of Stefan Molyneux.

Kids are being radicalized by online content. It's a concern. Kids joke and play pranks but at that age, the vast majority of well adjusted kids understand that Nazi stuff is a no no.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I tend to give high school kids the benefit of the doubt. They will do things simply because they are bucking authority without any real thought about the significance of what they are doing. People are in an uproar about neo-Nazis now so doing that may be nothing more than a sign of defiance and trying to stake their own ground.

We understand the significance of what they've done. They may understand Nazis were bad and it isn't okay to attempt genocide. But I believe teenagers might well be able to have that knowledge compartmentalized from simply doing something because it will get the goat of society/authority/and buck the current trend.

It doesn't make what they did okay. I think they deserve some sort of payment of what they've done. Going to a holocaust museum will likely put what they did into a perspective they didn't appreciate before. I think it's the perfect 'punishment'.

I would be willing to believe they weren't influenced by Trump but rather the reaction to Trump. It's possible that unless intervention was taken they might continue to join the 'as long as it pisses off the libs, then it's okay.' crowd.

That doesn't mean white nationalist philosophy and propaganda, in general, isn't a serious threat, and that terrorists who are influenced by that aren't a threat. They definitely are a threat and we should do more to put an end to it.

I'm probably closer to Nook's way of thinking in this case.

mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

There is no evidence these particular kids are being radicalized. There is no evidence that they did anything to anyone and no evidence that there is any network they are part of.

If it turns out that they had plans to do something or had meeting or anything of that sort, then it is major news. All we have is 10 teenagers on the water polo team being insensitive assholes and purposely offensive.

The whole premise of the thread is a straw man. I didn’t see anywhere in the article where someone said what the teenagers did wasn’t wrong or racist. Haven’t seen anyone in the thread defend them.

20. fchowd0311

The entire right wing online culture is based in being edgelords who make light of racial in-sensitivities because they think it's no big deal mainly because they watch the plethora of "anti-sjw" content on from youtube to Twitch that repeats light white nationalist propaganda all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if I could predict what their youtube recommend feed looks like.

Again, you are repeating the same claim of them having to be involved in a "network" or be in literal Nazi meetings for you to consider them radicalized. That isn't how the current 15-25 year old generation gets radicalized now a days. It's all on the internet. No need to be part of some organization. There already have been multiple potential and actual ideologically inspired mass shooters this year who have been caught who have never been apart of these "networks" you speak of. You need to remove yourself from the mentality that there has to be some organized underground Nazi organization for kids to be radicalized today.

Sorry if think making light of Nazis by mimicking their salutes being a sign that they might have signs of some radicalization.

The scary thing is that a lot of times this has nothing to do with the views of the parents and their upbringing. The only fault you can give them is not overseeing the content they read and watch online. Just the other day the FBI arrested a potential white nationalist shooter who was stockpiling ammunition. Before he was ever on FBI's radar, he was interviewed during a "Proud Boys" vs "Antifa" poo flinging riot by Katie Couric of all people and asked what his parents felt about being involved with these white nationalists and the kid said the parents hated it. It's happening all online.

mdrowe00 likes this.