1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The transformation of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 31, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Believe it or not, political parties change over time. Sometimes it’s a gradual change over several years, and sometimes, like in the case of trump, the change is relatively sudden and of deep impact. What you don’t understand is that you can have a deeply influential party leader appear, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere, sometimes telegraphed far in advance, who can create significant change in the opposite direction. That can include a leader or leaders that can take the Republican Party away from where trump and McConnell have taken it.

This version of the GOP is a disaster, and will remain a disaster both for the country and for that party as long as ruthless, corrupt, and ambitious creatures like trump and McConnell have control. Men who are more than willing to accept help from foreign powers hostile to the interests of the United States for their own personal benefit, as they have clearly demonstrated and continue to demonstrate. That doesn't mean that the Republican Party will remain under their control indefinitely. A disaster at the polls, despite Russian help, could quickly see a change in the direction of the GOP. We'll see.

We are already seeing members of the Republican Party fleeing the madness propagated by trump and McConnell, the two prodded by Putin and the FSB, formally known as the KGB, to do much of the bizarre actions we are seeing from the GOP today.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think it was sudden at all. It started under Bush...got a boost with Palin/Teabaggers...and then was launched over the cliff by trump. It's been heading his way for the better part of the 2000's.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There was a gradual change. When trump took over and McConnell took the gloves off, the change became a runaway train.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm not necessarily young, but I'm young in the larger scheme of experiencing political shifts. I could be wrong, but it seems to me like McConnell's goal to make "Obama a one term president" and opposing everything, even things that had originally been conservative ideas, was the major turning point in our current political climate. That's when I really started to see "party over country" take hold over the Republicans. Could have been happening long before then and I just didn't see it because I wasn't as cynical about politics and politicians 20+ years ago, but it wasn't something I really noticed until Obama was in office.

Nook, biff17, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Remember Presidents John McCain and Mitt Romney?

Just sayin.'

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. Obama's election was like flipping a switch. After Obama came into office, McConnell morphed into something I don't recognize as a responsible US Senator, but rather someone who definitely has his own agenda. Like you said, he started putting "party over country," although in his case, now it seems to have become "trump over party over country," which I find very disturbing and dangerous, to put it mildly.

I don't buy that over a couple of decades the GOP had become something that couldn't have been turned around into a semblance of the GOP the country was familiar with. Before Obama, the GOP had changed, but after his election he was confronted with having to deal with the financial catastrophe, one he didn't create. Something experienced not just by our financial system, but was also a severe blow to the Middle Class.

Millions lost the savings they had counted on for retirement and other long range plans, like helping to put their kids through college. He doesn't get nearly enough credit for guiding the country out of that. Meanwhile, as that was going on, he was viciously attacked by what was fast becoming a far-right GOP. It shouldn't be terribly surprising that he made some mistakes while that was going on. The distractions had to be incredible, and unlike trump, he wasn't spending half his time "on vacation."

Putting that aside, the damage done to both the Republican Party and our country by trump and McConnell will take years to repair, and they aren't finished. We appear to be facing a recession soon brought about entirely by trump's actions in office and the GOP in Congress, now led by McConnell. These new tariffs announced by trump are another act of madness. Many experts in the financial community are now afraid that we will have a recession. The Chinese have no incentive to not wait out the 2020 election and see what happens. Meanwhile, a booming economy that was already doing well when Obama left office is being damaged. Damaged a great deal. With our huge economy, it takes a while for the true extent of the damage to become obvious.

While we will repair the damage done by trump, McConnell, and the current Republican members of Congress, many now extremists, the cowards the GOP has in Congress who aren't by nature extremists, and that's what I consider them to be, cowards, are sitting idly by doing nothing when they know they should be. Afraid more of losing their seat than saving the country. They are complicit in what's happening, and may also be complicit in the coming destruction of their own party. In my opinion.

Cannonball and RayRay10 like this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

this is from a GoP state lawmaker from the red state of Nebraska

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Once again, the liberals' hypocrisy is on full display for all to see.

Look at what the Democrats have become. Obama looks like a Republican versus the ideas spewing out of the democrats' mouths these days. Open borders (are you kidding me??), reparations for slavery (Obama should pay, right, since his family were slave owners?), green new deal, etc. Lunacy.

BruceAndre likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's weird. When Obama was President you dopes were calling him a fringe crazy liberal. Now he looks like a Republican. LOL

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How Republicans endlessly dogged a very moderate president in Obama, will always be hilarious to me. Obama's HUGE change was Obamacare... which is Romneycare, a right-wing idea that was developed about 15 years ago.

And we can't forget....

FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.
  12. WNBA

WNBA Member

what? look at Obama's skin color. How could any republican tolerate that! I predict the hatred toward him will last at least 300 more years.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

G damn right. I hope more and more Republicans come out. I can imagine the conflicts in their heads and conversations they have had with their spouses. How many people that come out against Trumpy can he call dumb, low energy, or some other attempt at humorous insults.

Trump will be studied for hundreds of years and people trying to come up with reasons in the current environment how he got elected over other Republicans.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Nebraska gop proving party before country...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deflection and whataboutism

What do you have to say about the Republicans calling out Trump?

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Obama was one of the weakest and wimpy presidents of all time. His lasting legacy will be his foreign policy debacles.

I said he looks like a republican when compared to the new liberals.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well the GOP look like Dixiecrats now so...

Congrats you are now a Democrat Texxx. Get your buzz cut at the door

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bigotexxx is getting OWNED

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Your lasting legacy will be that Obama still dominates your thoughts and emotions.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I suspect all the Racist/Conservative Demos left and joined the Republicans
    They got infiltrated

At this point
    Is there such a thing as a Conservative Democrat or a Liberal Republican?

Rocket River

mdrowe00 likes this.