1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russ Mid-Range w/ D'Antoni System

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theoldblood, Jul 12, 2019.

1. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Guys, nothing can be better on our team than 2 of the most prolific chuckers in the game. If we can launch 100 3's in a game and we can beat anyone. It should be another milestone we could go for in the 3pt category.

2. SRR21

SRR21 Member

The addition of Westbrook creates an opportunity for coach to add movement to the offense.

Russ cutting to the basket.
    Pick and roll with Harden & Russ.
    Need a pick and pop big like Love or Ibaka.

Hakeemtheking and Plowman like this.
  3. banzai

lol, why do you think he left okc?

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

analytics software says he's a great rebounder so we'll start him at center

smoothie likes this.
  5. htownbball

htownbball Member

I'm hoping westbrooks intensity rubs off on harden. That's what his issue is and why Chris couldn't stand him

6. banzai

We're gonna change our offense for Russ? We just gonna be pluggin russ in going 1v1 against everyone.... it's gonna be like 2 hardens in 1. I they'll be practicing them step-backs all summer long. #hardenknowswhattodo #mvpunited

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Can’t wait for the bricks

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I'm ready to hear Bill / Clyde / Bull drool over triple doubles.

Bullard - In my days, a triple double was so hard. I remember when Dream had 40/40/9 and I gave him that one assist to get there.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

I will have a high five to myself if he finishes 10.2/10.3/11 at the end of season.

10. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Wouldn't call that his bread and butter since he's not very good at it.

I think he'd be better off without those pull ups. I think using him in the post is a good option though, and if that leads to some mid-range jumpers I'd be fine with that because of the other options he creates from the post.

harold bingo and aelliott like this.
  11. T. Will tha Don

Ummmmmm......CP3 used his midrage fadeaway shot off the right block religiously. What games are some of you watching???? Don't just post; watch the damn games. To answer the question yes Wild Wes will use his midrange...

harold bingo and aelliott like this.
  12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'm not sure why you would believe that mid-range pull ups were his "bread and butter", but hopefully he loses that part of his game. Also, not sure about the CP3 reference as he didn't stop shooting mid-range when he came to the Rockets.

Over the last 3 seasons, Westbrook has shot 34%, 39% and 39% on mid-range pull up. How does that make it his "bread and butter"?

Hopefully, being an analytics driven organization, the Rockets will show WB the shots where he's more efficient and the shots he should avoid.

An example is catch and shoot 3's. Over the last 3 seasons, he's shot 31.9%, 34.2% and 34.8% on catch and shoot 3's.

Over the same three years, he's also shot 37.3%, 31.6% and 34.9% on corner threes.

Those are all numbers that you can live with. The key will be to get him to take less pull ups (where he's really inefficient) and instead to drive more (the floor should be spread more than he's ever had before) and to take open threes with his feet set.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i see a road to making this pairing work within this system. you mentioned his corner 3% but also his spot up and open 3%s are average (which is good).

iso play is also great for him so long as he gives up the off the dribble 3 and the mid range pull up. he's gotta drive into the paint and look to score, get to the line, or kick it out for the assist. he is elite at all 3 of those things.

not sure how much off ball stuff he is willing to do or how much MDA / morey want to do. not sure about his defensive fit.

also, not sure if this trade was made for fit or it was just the best player we could get for paul, or if it was just made to sell tickets, jerseys, and increase our national tv schedule so tilman can open another restaurant.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Westbrook can't hit midrange shots either. He was the worst mid range shooter in the NBA last year that took enough to qualify. He was actually a smidge better on catch and shoot 3s (which he was horrible at) than mid range jumpers.

15. aelliott

I'm not saying it's a perfect fit, far from it. In fact, I wasn't even if favor of the trade. If we were going to make a big move, I personally would have wanted it to be for a front cour player who could be a difference maker. Of course, I have no idea if anyone like that was available for what we could offer.

While he's not the perfect fit, he and Harden can be effective together.

I think the incentive for the deal was to move CP3 and I think you are correct that this was the best deal that they could make for him. Based on the reports of no real market for CP3 as OKC tries to move him, it was probably a really good return.

16. aelliott

You can't compare a 2pt percentage with a 3 point percentage without adjusting for the point difference. He shot 31.8% on midrange. That equates to 21.2% from 3. He shot 31.9% on catch and shoot 3s. That's a whole lot more than a 'smidge' better.

His catch and shoot number are fine. He's shot 31.9%, 34.2% and 34.8% on catch and shoot threes over the last 3 seasons. If he does that here, it won't be a problem.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think it was probably a good return too. consider that it probably would've cost 2 picks to move CP3 into someone's cap space. then 2 picks for rus. not bad, if we had to move him at harden's (and maybe even paul's) request.

i do think we got more talented. i do see a way for this to work... and i'm no NBA coach, so i'm sure MDA and morey can figure it out.

depending on how the rest of the roster shapes out, i could see 2 of ego-tucker-capela being packaged. the tough part is (assuming tilman won't pay the tax) in a 2 for 1 type deal we would be left with a thinner rotation because we couldn't afford to replace one of them for more than another minimum signing.

the big name is kevin love since he's close friends with rus. but like rus parts of love's game seem to be a great fit and other parts of his game / contract would be of great concern. while staying under the cap we could have to send capela and ego. possibly overpaying by including a FRP. but if we do that, who's the starting center? is there one we can find for the minimum? on the other hand the warriors never cared about starting centers since they had enough firepower elsewhere. just need someone who can make the defensive rotations on time.

aelliott likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm sorry I think you were missing my point. My point was that it's silly to argue he should take mid range shots instead of 3s. If you think he's terrible at 3s because he shot 31.9 on catch and shoots is insane to think you'd rather him take mid range shots. Forge equating percentages, I'm simply talking skill at making. I think people think he's a good mid range shooter, as in he has that as some elite skill. This is not Chris Paul where that is a money shot. If he's going to shoot 30% of a shot no matter where it is, I'd rather it be a 3 so at least we get an extra point.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both of their numbers will go down, assists might go up, Turnover about the same.

20. aelliott

Agreed, but I can't see them going after Love. Between the injuries, the inability to defend and the makeup of the teams that we'll face, there's a good chance that he's unplayable in the playoffs.