1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook vs Paul: Playoffs the last 3 years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 14, 2019.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Let’s just ignore the fact that cp3 was playing with far superior teammates to Russ all
    Three of those years.

Let’s wait and see theirs no denying that I would love to have cp3 of past years but thang not the case.

To act like cp3 isn’t getting worse and worse is just wrong.

He’s 34 and getting older.

All you had to do was watch him this past year with your eyes and can tell he’s lost more than a step.

Why he would magically return to his form 3 years ago and not get worse is silly.

I’m not a Russ fan but he’s 30 years old he can still get 30 points anytime he wants.... and yes I know he takes a lot of shots to do it but cp3 can’t even get the shots off cause he can’t get separation.

Russ isn’t the perfect fit

But swapping his contract for the same one but a guy 4 years younger and still avg a triple double is a no brainer.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

This is what confuses me when people say that Westbrook and Harden’s production will “obviously” go down. He deferred to George a lot last year. Harden’s volume may go down some but Westbrook will still average near a triple double.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

the formula to make it work is for him shoot more 3's

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yep. Part of the reason Russ started chucking was because PG13's body was not up for the challenge of carrying a team for 80+ games. PG13 got injured and tried to play through it which required Russ to go full chuck mode to make up the difference. Harden is more durable than PG13; has put the whole city of Houston in his back multiple times (in the regular season)

I would also like to add that, for some odd reason, OKC didn't use Adams as much as the Rockets use Capela. Their PnR was almost nonexistent.

#44 DreamShook, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

The majority of the board is not arguing either way, which was my point thin skin.

6. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Yep. That’s the point people keep ignoring. CP3’s stats are better but the way the team was constructed they weren’t winning a championship, and there’s no way in hell anyone would want his contract after this year when he turns 35. On the other hand, if it doesn’t work with Westbrook the Rockets can still find s team that needs an athletic PG still very much in his prime. I’ve been a Morey critic for a lot of his boneheaded moves in the past but I think this is a solid move that gets us out of the CP3 contract.

7. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Many people cite numbers they don’t really understand

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're still getting used to the board. its ok

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I agree and I think we all share a lot of the same concerns but by the amount of hate he’s received on this board the past few days you’d think he was still on Okc and not the newest member of OUR team. I’m just a little surprised by the amount of people who’d rather be right than be supportive. None of us know how this thing will shakeout.

bobloblaw and DreamShook like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is the Carmelo situation on steroids. hopefully the end result isn't the same. Even with my apprehension, I'm ready to fight for Russ until he retires a Rocket.

biff17 and bobloblaw like this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The one positive I like about Westbrook is his transition offense and pressure on his drives. We never had that dimension because of our philosophy of half-court ISO and slowing the game down, but you have to play to your players strengths and Westbrook gives us that versatility. Of course we lose some range and efficiency compared to Paul.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

being supportive can also mean natural frustrations/concerns that come along with potentially making a bad moves

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

According to my eye test, Westbrook is faster, stronger and better.

YaoMing#1, amaru and SF3isBack!! like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh boy. :(
    [​IMG]

justtxyank likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As are Westbrook’s 4 knee surgeries and game which relies heavily on athleticism.

DD

16. Fishman5222

Fishman5222 Member

He couldn't. I like Chris Paul, but he couldn't beat anyone off the dribble in the playoffs this year. Hopefully he gets better next year for his legacy. If he gets worse, the 120 million is going to be a problem.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Oh we are doing the Russ didn’t have great teammates thing....are we being serious cmon now, that’s a bogus argument.

18. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

First off , paul doesnt carry a team like russ does ,so hes got less pressure on him ,if u dont think that matters then just look at how Kd played in golden state were he was surrounded by talent. Also it was obvious that houston had a better team than okc, therefore cps stats could look good.Now
    cp3 decline was pretty evident sure you can go ahead and believe cp was better than russ.But just dont jump on the bandwagon once we got on the deep playoff run.
    Stats dont lie ,this past year cps stats were better,but cp dont carry a team like russ does ,in okc russ is option #1 gets more double teams and teams gamplean against him ,in Houston cp is option #2or #3 depending on how hot Gordon is ,cp was rarely doubled team and he could lay back at the point and let James kick it out to him for the open 3, as good as paul george is ,he is no where near as good playmaking and involving his teammates like harden is.Also people say that okc doesnt have shooters like houston did,its hard to be a point guard when teams clog up the lane bcuz they dont fear your teams outside shot.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He certainly didnt have Harden who seems to always make players better.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It all depends on Westbrook's willingness to smarten up and change his game, now that he has Harden in his prime next to him.

• No more midrange shots
    • No more top of the key threes
    • No more right corner threes
    • Only threes allowed (other than a few to keep the defense honest) are from left corner
    • Other than that, take it to the rim or pass it
    • No stat-padding, it has to be all about winning.
    • Full effort on defense
    • Last shot goes to Harden, unless you take it to the rim
    • Practice some freaking free throws
    • Limit turnovers, make the safe play, rather than the flashy one
    Also, Morey should look for players who compensate these weaknesses and convert kick-outs (specifically from top of key and right corner) - Covington, Korver, etc.

jowman and TheFreak like this.